Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jo_in_tx

Looking for blue paint color with lots of gray.

jo_in_tx
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I'm looking for a paint color for my hobby room (lots of white furniture).

I want the room to read "blue," but I do want a lot of gray in it. A lot. :) Window treatments are darkish wood woven blinds. Medium LRV to slight dark.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments (19)

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Do you want a light tone or dark? Here is a chart of SW colors, I would choose the top row, second color but that's me. https://westmagnoliacharm.com/blue-gray-paint-colors/blog/

jo_in_tx thanked Yayagal
  • jo_in_tx thanked Jilly
  • Marylee H
    3 years ago

Near neutrals from the Blue Hue Family neighbourhood.

Every grey paint colour belongs to a Hue Family - take your pick!

jo_in_tx thanked Marylee H
  • Bunny
    3 years ago

Don't overlook grays that have a lot of blue in them.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

Marylee, on my screen those three grays look pretty neutral to me, i.e., not blue at all.

jo_in_tx thanked Bunny
  • roarah
    3 years ago

I used pilgrim haze and it is a silvery blue.

My bedroom is a blue/green/ grey color, Greenwich village by BEHR

jo_in_tx thanked roarah
  • Marylee H
    3 years ago

They are very near neutrals. But they still contain enough Chroma, in that when measured, they can be identified as sitting in the Blue Hue Family.

‘Greys’ are colours with very little Chroma. They are just greyed-out, knocked-back colours.

In some lighting they may appear to many as ‘just neutral’. In other light settings, more of their parent Hue maybe discernible. These types of colours are far more affected by light changes than more colourful colours.

If they feel ‘too grey’ for you (really need to see them as real-life paint chips) then you are looking for colours with more Chroma.

🌈

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Graytint belongs to the Green Hue Family, but can shift more-grey blue in imbalanced lighting

• Bestyears
    3 years ago

I painted my masterbath Silvermist #1619 from Benjamin Moore at least ten years ago, and I love it as much now as I did then. It's a very, very easy color to live with. I also have a sewing/hobby room and I think this would be ideal for that use. Here's an old thread asking about favorite blue/gray paint colors. You'll see my bedroom and bath just a few posts down (and get lots of other suggestions too!)

Old Blue/Gray Paint Color Thread

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

Take a look at SW Gray Screen and Network Gray.

• nekotish
    3 years ago

I have painted our main bath SW Mount Saint Anne twice, it is very much how you describe the colour you are looking for.

jo_in_tx thanked nekotish
  • jo_in_tx thanked suedonim75
  • Christine Smith
    3 years ago

Try BM Wedgewood Gray. I️ have it in my south facing living room and it reads blue.

jo_in_tx thanked Christine Smith
  • jo_in_tx
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much for all of your recommendations. I decided to try something different and used Intercoastal Gray by Behr. So far, I am loving it. A few years ago, I would have repainted because it has a bit of lavender/purple in it, but I love it. I'll try to get some photos when it's finished.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

GF painted her kitchen Mt Ranier Gray by Ben Moore and it reads blue but has a lot of gray in it...it's a lovely color and goes well with her off white cabinetry.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Enjoying this thread- love the colors here.

I had to look up Intercoastal Gray and I think it's beautiful! ( and, it's really nice that Behr includes LRV on the first screen. Talk about handy dandy.

Earlier on my own, just flipping through a SW paint deck that I have, I really was liking North Star ( quite a bit lighter though)

• Rachel Lee
    3 years ago

A lot of blues read “baby blue”. SW Copen Blue is blue/green/gray.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I chose a grey color for my master bedroom based on wanting something that was neutral enough to not clash or highlight my orange toned wood trim, and also match with a lot of other wood finishes. I used Sherwin Williams "Grey Screen" which ended up reading a tad blue, particularly when other blue accents are in the room. I like it though, it is neutral enough to make a great background wall color for all kinds of wood furniture in there, bedding and art.
    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7071-gray-screen