Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristina_coppers

Best way to rearrange and decorate the entrance of apartment!

Kristina Coppers
3 years ago

When you enter my apartment it’s just kind of a open kitchen area and I can’t figure out the best way to decorate the space. It’s an odd layout and I’m getting stuck on what would help make this place come together. Please share any ideas you have about furniture to add or move, art for the walls, etc! I’ve been so stuck.

Also, I usually have curtains on the windows but in some photos they are off.

(All wires will be hidden once I figure out where to put everything)

(The bedroom and TV room are in separate rooms)

Comments (5)

• Jesse Fay
    3 years ago

So for the back door, get a bench fir the right side, this will give you a space to put your most commonly used/snowy/wet/muddy shoes and a place to put them on. It also will give that area more symmetrical.

Second, I dont have measurements but it looks like there's a lot of extra space in the kitchen. You can add an island make from stock/found cabinets (try nextdoor app) and use butcher block or just a 1.5 inch thick top. You can extend the top out 1/3 the distance of the cabinets depth. This will give you a place for a few bar stools.

Lastly, I'd move the table back towards the wall that's seen in the 2nd photo. The dresser can go on the wall opposite the cabinet to store anything you need if there isn't room to keep it where it is.

If you have measurements, it would help to make sure there's enough room and extact placement but I think it might work.

• Kristina Coppers
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We did try to do an island when we first moved in but sadly it didn’t work. I was thinking of maybe making a little reading area where the blue chair is located? I have no idea! The layout of the room is odd and we only have the one open back wall (with the window)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Where is the REST of the apartment........the part with the couch ? The tv??

Best money spent would be ditch the white appliances.........Paint the non entry doors wall color and simply change the sheen to satin. The entire space looks jumpy and nervous.

Is the climate tropical? Do you need 12 months of air conditioning? A tall three part screen to hide the beast or something with an bit of eye diversion even when it is running?

Post the remainder of the space....draw it. add all dimensions. of the entire place, : )

• Kristina Coppers
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan, I agree and I will wish I needed 12 months of AC. Unfortunately it’s snowing where I am right now. The bedroom and TV area are through the two doors by the entrance 😂
    Unfortunately because of Covid all my living arrangements changed. I’m not planning on staying at this place much longer but I would still love it to feel homey while my boyfriend and I are here. So painting and changing appliances aren’t worth the time and money right now. I’m just trying to think of how I can make the place feel happier when I walk through the door while I’m here!

I’ll try and post measurements soon!

• housegal200
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A couple of things depending on how much you want to spend on a temporary place:

--A simple bench backed up against the counter as mentioned already. Check Craigslist.

--Attractive indoor/outdoor runner to create a welcoming pathway into the apartment.

--Find another location for garbage can so it's not the first thing you see.

--Another rug for under the dining table to define the space.

--Maybe drop a non-hardwired pendant in the corner where you want a reading area? Use Craigslist to find a comfy armchair for that corner or an armless loveseat with very small proportions.

--Plants on the dresser.

--Vertical art in the reading corner.

--Google "how to hide a wall air conditioner" to see if there's any way to do that so the AC isn't the first thing you see when you walk in.