Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Some more jewelry questions

robo (z6a)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Ok so this is not hugely important, just some snow day diversion (16” dumped on us last night!)

I ordered this (used) pendant from 100ways - but is it too “yoga?” I’m not a yoga person. I got it because I love Japanese gardens and ponds. It’s pretty big, like over an inch. it’s returnable. Diamonds, emerald and 14kt gold.

Second question, would you buy this ring at $600usd? I will provide the info. From what I understand the diamond color would be noticeably warm but that matters a bit less with a yellow gold setting. I would have to have it resized 0.5 size.

This is the info they provide:

Metal 18k Yellow Gold

Size 7 3/4

Width 2.55 mm

Gemstone Round Brilliant Cut Diamond

Carat 0.36 ct

Clarity SI1

Colour I/J

Comments (39)

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Robo, you know we're going to enable you! Jewelry to me is like art, and if it speaks to you, go for it! I think both of these are beautiful.

robo (z6a) thanked gsciencechick
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I agree that if you love it, go for it.

I think the pendant is lovely.

The ring for me, not so much. The reason I love diamonds is for the spark, but the bezel setting blocks a lot of light entering the diamond, so much less comes out. Pronged settings let more light in.

But if it's a more occluded or poorly cut diamond anyway, then it will matter less and the setting will be fine. As I said, if you love it, go for it. It is a handsome setting.

robo (z6a) thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • amykath
    3 years ago

I would never look at the pendant and think yoga. It is gorgeous!!! Congrats!

The ring is lovely as well. Would you wear it on the days you do wear your other new beautiful ring or wear them at the same time?

robo (z6a) thanked amykath
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would wear them both (on different hands). I never got an engagement ring and lost my (cheapie) wedding ring long ago so I’d likely wear the diamond one on my left hand, maybe find a nice band to match.

Sorry if this comment posts twice but I don’t see my earlier reply to Annie: for now I prefer a Bezel setting for my lifestyle because I don’t want to scratch my kid and I need a really tough setting for everyday wear, and also I tend to scratch myself! but I agree I don’t think it shows the sparkle to best advantage. My goldsmith said they cut gems so that the light coming from above is the most important but I still feel like light coming from the side can only help.

side note this is the first day I’m not wearing my new ring - I can easily imagine losing it in the snow today!!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

I like the both, especially the ring.

The bezel setting and light comment is not correct. Light enters a diamond via the diamond's table. I had my original engagement diamond redesigned into a three stone ring for our 20th. The center stone is bezel set and just as brilliant as before. More recently, I had a larger diamond redesigned and asked the gemologist prior to making my decision. She said the same, and the stone is dazzling. I also had a bezel set solitaire ring made for my sister with the same results.

robo (z6a) thanked Allison0704
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

Jewelry should speak to you and I think you'll know when they arrive if you love them. Yoga doesn't come to mind when I look at the pendant, it's lovely. The size isn't all that large, try it with different length chains to see how it looks with various necklines and collars. As Annie mentioned the bezel will reduce the amount of light and an l/J Sl1 stone in 18k gold will look more yellow - but again you have to wear it to see how you feel about it.

robo (z6a) thanked maire_cate
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Allison you reassure me about the bezel because my goldsmith said the same thing but I found it a bit hard to believe? But perhaps I should have more trust!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Here's an article on the differences between prong and bezel and it does mention the amount of light coming in, though they say the difference is small.

https://www.diamonds.pro/education/bezel-engagement-rings/

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I've not worn my wedding ring since covid. It's one thing I will look forward to when I'm fully vaccinated. I figure it's just more places for the virus to catch or my hands to be less than thoroughly washed.

• amykath
    3 years ago

After reading how you would wear the ring... I would go for it! You can always find a cool weddin band to pair with it. It is beautiful!

robo (z6a) thanked amykath
  • hhireno
    3 years ago

I think the above ring, while pretty, is too similar, or maybe reminiscent is a better word?, to the ring you just bought. It would take away the WOW factor of the ring already on your hand (or in your jewelry box on snowy days).

robo (z6a) thanked hhireno
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I like a bezel set, although I have never had a problem with prongs scratching anyone. I think I would listen to the jeweler, and if you like the ring, go for it!

I would never, ever thought about covid and jewelry! I don't always wear my rings around the house (depends on what I am doing), but I have not quit wearing jewelry due to covid. Today I go to the eye dr. so I will even wear earrings!! WOOHOO!! It's a big outing, donchaknow?

robo (z6a) thanked Tina Marie
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

I agree with whoever said jewelry is like art. : )

robo (z6a) thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very tactful mtn 😂

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In the area of competing with the other ring I WILL say - both stones are likely around the same diameter. The sapphire is almost double the carats but sapphire is heavier? Which I guess makes a difference. The above ring is set a little higher.

• Feathers11
    3 years ago

The first one does not say "yoga" to me, and I do yoga. I think it's a lovely piece.

About the ring, it seems fairly priced, and I agree with the bevel setting for your lifestyle. I have 3 bevel settings (studs and a necklace) that I've worn since my children were babies. I never had a problem with the setting. On my to-do list is to have them reset just for a change, but not because I don't like the setting. In addition to being something that appeals to you, it would be (dare I say) practical, as well.

robo (z6a) thanked Feathers11
  • hhireno
    3 years ago

Truth be told, I’m not a jewelry person so maybe to the appreciative eye those rings are dissimilar.

robo (z6a) thanked hhireno
  • gsciencechick
    3 years ago

Love all those bezel looks in that article Annie posted.

IDK if bezel was really that common when we got engaged 15 years ago. I was also looking for a practical setting, but, of course, I wound up with 3-stone, all prong set because it was my favorite. I will put my rings on for work calls but otherwise don't wear them around the house or to workout. I did buy some of the Enzo silicone rings for Christmas that could be used for travel, but who knows when that will be.

TinaMarie, I found earrings with masks don't work unless maybe they would be post earrings. Anything with a drop gets caught.

robo (z6a) thanked gsciencechick
  • blfenton
    3 years ago

The pendant is beautiful.

I don't care for bezel settings but that's just personal taste. I don't see anything pretty about them. It's a serviceable setting and that's how it's sold and for me it just takes away from the glamour of a diamond. Please remember - just personal taste. In 38 years of wearing a 3-diamond engagement ring I have never caught a prong.

robo (z6a) thanked blfenton
  • Fori
    3 years ago

I like the pendant. Yoga? Hmm. Seems inspired by a completely different era to me. Very pretty.

The ring is not of a style I like but it looks serviceable. :P

robo (z6a) thanked Fori
  • Tina Marie
    3 years ago

@gsciencechick i never wear posts but I haven’t had problems with earrings and masks. I guess the earring hangs over the lower strap? And my masks are well fitted, so no loose straps.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like a very plain, contemporary look for the most part (although that pendant isn't super plain). It's a fine line with chunky jewelry because I'm chunky and can't go too delicate, but also I can't pull off the biggest rings as my fingers aren't super long.

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Robo, I like both pieces. I don’t see the pendant as ‘yoga’ either, but do see a lotus flower in a way. It’s a lovely design and would be pretty with a sweater or with a plain button shirt. Same with the ring. It would be a nice complement to your new ring and the price is nice.

robo (z6a) thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    3 years ago

I absolutely love that pendant. I see nothing yoga-like about it either. 😊

robo (z6a) thanked User
  • Sueb20
    3 years ago

I like both!

• User
    3 years ago

If your preference is for chunky jewelry I think the ring is perfect. The delicate pendant less so, especially on a taller woman. To me, that flower shape is reminiscent of fertility symbols, but obviously everyone brings their own experiences to bear when defining aesthetics.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Re getting a band with that ring to look like a wedding set: I have an emerald cut with a prong setting and the prongs are not flush with the band. So for the wedding band, I had it notched to fit around the prongs. After the wedding, I took them to the jewelers who soldered them together so the notch would always be in proper alignment and the bands wouldn't gape. The notch is not quite like this but it gives the idea:

The reason I mention it is, with the ring under consideration, if you get a separate band, a band will leave a gap because of the way the setting sticks out beyond the ring.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kswl I could have used that flower in my 30s! Could buy a looooooot of jewelry with what I spent on medical procedures hahaha.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

The price of the ring is about what we paid for my engagement/wedding stone ring with a pronged tiffany setting, of similar carat. The one you showed is way nicer than mine but hubs wanted to get something traditional looking.

Edited to add that just as I predicted, my wedding ring (the part with the stone, not the plain gold band) scratches and catches on everything, so I only wear it on special occasions where I won't be using my hands much. But that's what hubs wanted, nothing hand made, just traditional with a real diamond, so I acquiesced to his taste and wishes since he was paying for it.

robo (z6a) thanked l pinkmountain
  • robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok SO I have made a decision which is to go back to the same goldsmith and get her to do a pendant with a 1.5ct Australian sapphire I had my eye on. I’ve sent her some inspiration pics.

This little venture will absorb a few months’ worth of discretionary jewelry spending.

Inspiration

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I've worn my wedding ring for years as well as other rings with prong settings and never had it scratch or catch...

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Robo - just think of the fun you'll have designing your new necklace. I like the graceful lines of the settings on your inspiration photos and the sapphire will look lovely. I didn't realize that you lost your original engagement, that is a shame.

With the exception of my eternity band all of my rings have prongs and I've never caught one. I do take my pieces to my jeweler regularly to have them checked and cleaned.

robo (z6a) thanked maire_cate
  • User
    3 years ago

That’s a beautiful stone Robo, and I love the simplicity of your inspiration settings.

robo (z6a) thanked User
  • Indigo Rose
    3 years ago

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't have a clue what 'yoga' means in reference to jewelry.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

It evokes the lotus flower, which is a common symbol in yoga.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I was worried I’d look like a clueless well meaning white lady. Which I AM but no need to advertise the fact 😹😹😹

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The flower got here! I think I will end up sending it back: although I do quite like it, it’s not quite the hardworking daily wear type of jewelry I’m focused on collecting right now.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

You need to love it. Back it goes.

robo (z6a) thanked eld6161