Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_109170177

Thinking about painting hardwood cabinets and installing new backsplas

Cheryl Haase
3 years ago

We bought our house about ten years ago, and the previous owner had installed alder wood cabinets and New Venetian Gold (That's my guess) countertops. We want to do a bit of a kitchen refresh and are thinking about painting the walls more of greige color, installing either white or gray glass subway tile, and maybe painting the cabinets white. It seems a shame to paint them because they are high quality wood. Would love to hear some ideas that don't involve gutting our kitchen.

Comments (17)

• Lindsay K
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

These are beautiful cabinets! I wouldn’t paint them. The most “dated” thing in the picture to me is the backsplash. I love the cabinets, the countertops are ok to me as well, but my eyes went to the backsplash...the different colored squares stand out.

Cheryl Haase thanked Lindsay K
  • msjoan
    3 years ago

This is a nice kitchen! I agree with @Lindsay K, don't paint the cabinets. Not crazy about the countertops, but I'd start with de-cluttering them as much as you can. Then some nice pendant lights over the peninsula. And, yes to painting the walls!

Cheryl Haase thanked msjoan
  • Sonja Suitor
    3 years ago

Your cabinets are beautiful. I wouldn’t paint the cabinets but would replace the countertops & backsplash with creamy white surfacing and update the pendant lights with something bold & beautiful

Cheryl Haase thanked Sonja Suitor
  • Cheryl Haase
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I didn't think about running the backsplash up to the ceiling. Interesting. I don't love the countertops, but the expense of getting new ones is prohibitive.

• Lori Dittberner
    3 years ago

I definitely would not paint your cabinets. The door style still looks modern. Paint your kitchen and update the backsplash and cabinet knobs and handles. It is hard to tell from the picture how much room is available to add cabinets with glass doors to the ceiling. Also, look to add some different lighting to give the room a bit more personality.

Cheryl Haase thanked Lori Dittberner
  • Boxerpal
    3 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen that you can definitely update. Keep the cabinets they look lovely and the doors do not look dated.

Some Venetian Golds look more white than yellow. It is hard to tell with the image you provided if yours are more yellow. However I think the right taupe or very light Greige could look nice in your space. Finding the right color in your space by testing samples. I would also put the brightest bulbs you can in the kitchen. See if you can tone down the yellow with bright bulbs. What are your floors?

A great blog to read and learn about paint. .

Over the Moon blog Greige Paint colors and how they compare

With your beautiful hood you could do a slightly more contemporary backsplash. You don't have to do subway unless of course this is what you love.

This isn't white but it is lighter than the color you have.

Pasadena Mid-Century Modern Kitchen with Stainless Range · More Info

Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Addition in Pleasant Hill · More Info

Buffalo Grove Kitchen and Bath · More Info

Burns Street · More Info

Rustic Reclaimed Chestnut · More Info

Saint Paul Craftsman · More Info

Craftsman Kitchen in Brighton, MI · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

White counters and the white backsplash really change the space.

Denver Wash Park 1900's Bungalow Pop Top · More Info

I can't help myself I am loving this one below had to add it. With the white counters it really is pretty.

North Muskegon Midcentury Modern · More Info

A Bountiful Beauty · More Info

Cheryl Haase thanked Boxerpal
  • kempek01
    3 years ago

I don't love the countertops, but the expense of getting new ones is prohibitive.

The cost of new countertops and the cost of painting the cabinets will be relatively equal. At least if you have the cabinets painted professionally.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I agree that the cabinets should not be painted (and I love painted cabinets). You need new counters, a new backsplash, a new under mount sink, and a new paint color. The cost of painting the cabinets is about the same as the counters.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Leave your cabinets they look nice. Cheapest change would be backsplash to a creamy subway tile that picks up the lightest color in your counter, making sure you have 4000K light bulbs and good undercabinet lights and decluttering (that will go a LONG way). You could also paint walls a light sage green or blue (BM Smoke would be pretty) or a creamy white. More expense but would make it feel like a new kitchen would be changing the counters. If you were getting cabinets professionally painted, I agree the would be similar to counter change

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

I don’t think the problem is the backsplash. It’s actually kind of cute and modern. I agree to not painting the cabinets. They look like good quality and wood kitchens are coming back. What’s dating the room is the wall color and the yellowish countertops..

• Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

For a low-cost refresh, paint your kitchen white.

Cheryl Haase thanked Amanda Smith
  • Gloria H.
    3 years ago

Alder is such a beautiful wood. Don’t paint the cabinets.

Cheryl Haase thanked Gloria H.
  • Devin Darnell
    3 years ago

I’m not a pro, and I love my own painted cabinets.... however I think that if your not willing to change countertops, don’t paint the cabinets! They look great, and others have shown great examples of how wood cabinets look amazing.

If you don’t paint the cabinets or change the counters... at least change wall paint color and back splash!

My personal Opinion..., especially after reading the other comments.... keep cabinets...change, wall color, counters and backsplash.

Cheryl Haase thanked Devin Darnell
  • Cheryl Haase
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate everyone's input. Boxerpal, those photos and paint chips are very helpful. Here is a close-up of our countertops.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

If you're keeping the counters and they harmonize with the cabinets (which I agree look gorgeous and current), paint-match the lightest colour in your countertop with one of the paint manufacturing apps (both SW and BM have one). That's your wall colour starting point (a warm white) and will inform the new backlash, if you choose to replace it. (Tile can also be painted if you're looking for an inexpensive interim solution.) Spend your money on optimizing function: lighting, storage, fixtures (e.g. I'd want a large single bowl sink).

Wood and white are a timeless combo. You'll see LOADS of inspo pics on the web. I wouldn't risk ruining good quality wood cabinets by painting them, professionally or otherwise.

Cheryl Haase thanked tartanmeup
  • sansira
    3 years ago

I agree with many others. The cabinets are fine, good tone of wood and good paint color. Changing the backsplash and wall color would go a long way. I also don’t love the counters but mine are similar and granite does work well so I respect trying to make it work. Play on the greys and draw the eye away from the counter.

Cheryl Haase thanked sansira