Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nataly_kr

textured wall in foyer

Nataly K
3 years ago

I am in process of repainting and entire house. Most of my house was painted in early 2000 with textured walls. We got rid of all of them except the foyer/hallway area, where we thought we could figure out a different solution, because the quote to skim coat it was just too high.

Now we have to figure out what to do with it. Here is a photo. It is a two tone glaze over paint. There is a photo below.

The rest of the house is getting very light grey paint (BM Light Pewter, Light Pewter cut 25% and Shoreline). I am trying to create MCM/Scandi vibe. I thought just to paint it with regular paint over the texture first, but we tried a spot and it just looks wrong.

My painter suggested to add metallic paint over regular paint, I got samples, I thought it would just add a little sparkle in the recessed areas, but it created a mirror like horror. Now the painter is suggesting Venetian Plaster on top of the texture. I haven't seen anything like this in person, so not sure what it will be like. I am beginning to get nervous. What are my options to make this work with the rest of the house? I really don't want to step back and get the skim coat people in again...

Should we just recreate the glazed look with different paint colors to match the rest of the house?

Is there any single paint/sheen that would make it look good? What we tried is BM eggshell like the rest of the house. One requirement is that it should be easy to clean and touchup: kids and a dog live here.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Of course you can paint over it….use a flat finish.

Do white….very Nordic.

• Nataly K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @JudyG Designs, I need it to be washable. So flat is not an option, but I do have a feeling it's a matter of getting the right sheen. The texture looks blurry in eggshell, but nice in metallic, if you ignore the mirror like quality. So, what would keep it crisp, but understated? White is an option, I am trying to figure out the technique and product line before the color.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

Good Lord, no venetian plaster over that, and add a bunch more texture. You already dont like the texture, so sure wouldnt add more. You can choose a Matte paint. Its more like flat, but, it is more washable than flat. Since you have already done all the other walls, I would leave the foyer, until you can have it skim coated and then paint it, so it matches your other walls.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

https://www.bauwerkcolour.com/lime-wash-paint/inside

How about the softness of lime wash?

Nataly K thanked Marylee H
  • Nataly K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Marylee H Lime wash looks pretty, but no cleaning is a deal breaker for me...

• Nataly K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@cat_ky I don't want to go through the mess and expense of yet another skim coat project, especially in the foyer/hall area. The other rooms could at least be closed off, this is going to be a nightmare... I had a feeling I could make it work with the texture. I have a picture of what I want to achieve in my head. I don't mind the texture itself as long as it's limited to the foyer/hall area. In fact it could be an interesting architectural detail to play with. I just need to figure out how to make it play nicely with the rest of the house. I am not trying to create a poster child of current trends or stage for sale, I want it to be unique and tasteful and balanced. The reason I got rid of the texture in the other rooms is not because it's "so 90s", but because I didn't like the texture I had there and because there was too much of it... The previous owners got carried away with the trend back at the time... So, would Matte finish be so different compared to Eggshell? I thought they were similar?

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

Eggshell is a good finish. It happens to be my favorite. You can wash it, if it gets dirty. Matte is a similar finish, but, has less shine than eggshell and it hides surface imperfections a bit better than eggshell, and it can be wiped of dirty spots too, unlike flat.

Nataly K thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Then do a B.M. matte finish…I don’t see a shine on walls that you want to look Scandinavian.

Regal Select Interior Paint- Matte

Matte (548)

very washable!

Nataly K thanked JudyG Designs
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Although I am going with matte, B.M. has a finish called “pearl” which could be mixed in Regal. I have used it and loved the look…it is NOT metallic…it is as its name. Cons…you already have lap marks.

Pros of Pearl Finish

• High Durability
    • Easy to Clean

Cons of Pearl Finish

• More Susceptible to Showing Lap Marks & Other Painting Flaws