Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyssa_thompson

Paint the wainscoting and trim?

Alyssa Lindsley
3 years ago

Hi, we recently purchased a 40yr old home that has a wooden "theme" running throughout the entirety of the home. I am struggling with whether or not to paint the trim and wainscoting in the family room and formal dining room (as seen in the picture below). Two bedrooms have floor to ceiling built-ins, but all rooms have the wooden trim around windows, doors, baseboards, crown molding, etc. I do appreciate all of the wood, but feel that it gives it a dated look and to me it reads very orange. These two main rooms both have porches outside of the windows, so they get some light but not a ton of natural light. I know it would all be beautiful painted white and would lighten the rooms a lot, but am struggling with bringing myself to paint it because I know there's no going back once I do.

We are remodeling the kitchen, which is also the same orangey wood. I love and am always drawn to white kitchens. My husband says that if we do a white kitchen that it will look out of place with all of the wood in the house. But at the same time, I hate to put more "orange wood" into my kitchen when I don't exactly love it. If I painted all of the wainscoting and trim in the two adjoining rooms, I feel that it would make it blend more and feel more modern and updated.

So the question is, would you paint it? Or do you have any ideas of of to modernize and downplay the orange of the wood?

Comments (11)

• eld6161
    3 years ago

I’m not a fan of wood trim. It just doesn’t make sense to me as a design feature.

But first I want address the kitchen. Do what you like in there as this house is not open concept. I love white kitchen and it won’t be out of place if you get rid of all the trim.

I would: paint all the trim white. I would leave the wainscoting and refurbish it, basically to placate the husband. For me, though it would be painted white. Then, I would bring in hardwood flooring. Above the wainscoting can be any color you desire.

I would address the railing. Update it somehow. That would be a whole other post.

• Alyssa Lindsley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the response. Wood floors aren’t an option because we have a puppy and two very young kids. We are doing a tile that looks like marble.

The railing is coming down and a wall is going up in its spot.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I think the wall replacing the railing will need wainscot like the others to fit in. A good woodworker who can ID the type of wood already in place would likely be able to match the wood and the stain. Its a big job to paint all of it and the remainder of the house will still be unchanged. I think it looks so stark because the walls are so white. Consider warming the wall color. Do you have upholstered furniture for these spaces? Paint should be selected to work with your fabrics and textiles, so show us what you're putting in here and we can help you take the simpler route, preserve the beautiful wood, and save a lot of time/money. As is, I find the wood to be timeless and traditional, just find the right paint for the walls to enhance it.

Libraries · More Info

Mead Point Shingle · More Info

Family Rooms · More Info

• isabellagracepan
    3 years ago

I wouldn't completely disregard wood floors unless you live in a tropical climate where tile is the norm. I have three boys, a large dog and live on a farm, and we love our wood floors! They are much softer underfoot than tile and much easier on kids knees and heads when they fall.

The wood looks quite nice. I think you can still do a white kitchen if you keep the wood as it is. Perhaps you could do a wood island or wood countertops on the island to bring in the warm tones?

• msjoan
    3 years ago

Wowee; that's a lot of wood trim. A little over the top, even for it's day, but beautiful wood. I agree that white in the kitchen will be just fine. Do remove and patch the pass through to the dining room, which makes no sense so close to the door. You've purchased a traditional home, so I presume that's your style. I wouldn't paint the wainscotting. Instead, I'd paint the crown molding. And try to replace the dining room railing with something. Iron? Steel? I'll see if I can find anything.

• msjoan
    3 years ago

A metal railing idea.

Traditional Timnath Whole Home · More Info

• mick50
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would definitely do the white kitchen. I’d rethink white marble floors though. Like someone said...hard on the feet and legs, plus that’s a lot of white! There are many comfortable, durable and beautiful laminate wood floors (I agree about real wood and puppies. Our wood floor got scratched up the first week it was down.) I’d paint the wood wainscoting but I know my husband would disagree- vehemently! Everything’s a compromise, isn’t it?! However, it really depends on your furnishings. Do you have a lot of large wood pieces, such as bookcases, media or china cabinets? What finish are they? It may all be too much or even clash. It is a beautiful home. Congrats!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

as for the white kitchen idea, no, it won't look out of place.

for the other rooms, I'd prob paint the crown white, remove those corbels and the twisted spindles, and this hideous boob light!:

the molding pieces around the door/window? not really appropriate to the style home.

Ditto the wood columns (are they necessary for support? ) and all the cross beams.

I don't mind the wainscot, but it all depends on the style you'll be doing w/this room. There's a lot going on. I'm sure the previous owners had the type of furniture that went w/all this ornate wood trim. do you??

This isn't a craftsman or victorian, or old english cottage, so I wouldn't be upset about removing or painting any of it.

if you paint all the wood white, including the all of the trim, and paint the walls a darker color (other than white) I think it would look fresh. I'd still remove the dated elements like the banister and spindles and corbels

do a little bit first and see how you like the look. you can always paint all of the paneling/wainscot down the road. (if you do, apply a coat of Shellac over the wood. if anyone decides they want to go back to the wood, it's easier to remove the paint since the shellac will act like a barrier between the two.

you said you're putting down tile that looks like marble?? in these rooms? why?

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

I do love the wood, but it's a bit much and the wall color is all wrong. I agree with everyone else - paint the crown, remove the post if possible and that ceiling piece and change out the railings . That alone will make a huge difference in the space. You could also do something different with the fireplace,

And you will be fine with a white kitchen.

If you find in time that you dislike the wood wainscot - paint of stain it then . I would not do that right away because like you said - you can't go back.

• PRO
    Color Zen
    3 years ago

Way too dominant and does not allow you to decorate with ease. I would definitely paint the wood, it will look fantastic. Just figure out how to minimize color transitions.

• Deborah Brown
    2 years ago

You might consider the new ceramic tile that really looks like wood and wears even better! Many styles. My sister just used it throughout her large home with 4 dogs! Beautiful and easy to maintain.