Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thunderdot

Charcoal Sofa: Color palette SOS!

Thunder Dot
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Turning to you, shiny people, for help with deriving a color palette from a charcoal couch and very colorful wallpaper!

What I'm up against:

I don't know how to deal with *both* the rose and green/blue colors in the wallpaper....the palettes I see online usually only incorporate one or the other together with charcoal, for example:

I find that the rose color in our wallpaper doesn't want to be ignored! But, does the green color?

Thank you for any help you give with this puzzle :)

Need to nail down colors for cushions, area rug, accent chair, ottoman, blanket, console table, etc.

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Charcoal Gray is a neutral color, so goes good with any color.

Here is your palette to work with.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

I would start with a rug with the colors and since your wallpaper has them and gray is a neutral you can make it work.

then find pillows with those Colors too

• Thunder Dot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I struggle with narrowing down all of these colors, and understanding how much % of each to use within the living room. I was kind of striving for a palette limited to, say 5 colors, such as:

My brain honestly doesn't understand what to do with 10 colors :)

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

Sounds like you’re trying to tone things down so I would focus on one of the lighter more neutral colors for a rug and layer your throw pillows with that same neutral color and one of the secondary accent colors. The sofa looks to be on the blue side of gray (but this could just be my screen) so I would use the blue as my other color.
    A good rule of thumb is the 60/30/10 rule- 60% neutral color like gray, off white, tan 30% primary color like blue, red, 10% accent color playing off other 90%.

Thunder Dot thanked Inside Out Staging and Design
  • Thunder Dot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Inside Out Staging and Design ...so do you think the beigey color in the "pears" in the wallpaper would be good as an area rug (e.g. jute), and then get that color up in the pillows too....not sure if beige and this bluey gray go together or not :)

• PRO
    Inside Out Staging and Design
    3 years ago

I would pick the overall background color which looks light gray in the picture. The sofa is on the cooler side so I’d stick to varying shades of cooler gray and cooler blues.

• Thunder Dot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Digital photos are so hard to use for color......the background color in the wallpaper is actually cream....is that neutral too? I'm good with finding a cream colored rug...just a bit worried there could be too much cream in the room then (ceiling is white).

• Donald
    3 years ago

If you pull out the blues and greens from the paper to use as the basis for your accent color(s) you aren’t ignoring the red, the red is all over the wall already. You don’t have to use every color found in the paper, you are accenting it, not copying it.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

So, what color did you decide to paint the etergere?

It is the same dilemma, again. the problem is the wallpaper. It is from the 1960’s, probably Waverley and has no intrinsic value.

• Thunder Dot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A dilemma for sure. The wallpaper is actually from the 90s....but yes feels dated. The etagere I can't fit into the floorspace and so may try to sell it or place it in a different room....

As I spin my tires on this room, I am almost ready to ditch the sectional for the sake of choosing a different colour...

• grioux
    3 years ago

Do you love the wallpaper? If not, would you consider changing it instead of trying to design around it? Something with less colors and a bigger pattern. I find the small pattern over such a large area looks quite busy.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Are you trying to fit a square peg into a round hole? The start of redecorating a room is knowing what you want it to look like when you are done, which is part of knowing what style/look you are trying to achieve for the entire home.

You can change the sofa, the woodwork or the wall paper or 2 or all three.

But you need to decide first what must stay and what can change to get the look you will love.

Some really rough visuals . . .

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Is there a reason you don’t want to get rid of the wallpaper?

• arlosmom
    3 years ago

I agree with others who have suggested that the wallpaper is the problem child.

• Thunder Dot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So I'm stuck with the problem child. This is an old farm house and the wallpaper is doing a great job of covering plaster walls (and it's honestly not the redhaired stepchild it looks like in photos--we do like it). Also stuck with the dark wainscoting--husband is against painting wood (it's 100+-year-old ash custom crafted from the farm bushlot). I've been trial-and-erring (mostly erring) around these constraints. Add to this the awkardness of the room -- 3 windows, three doors plus opens into galley kitchen. I haven't had a solid target in mind afa what I'd like the room to look like, been trying to fit things in as I go.......👀

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

If you are going to embrace the wallpaper and dark wood trim then I would go all the way.

They simply don't fit with a casual sectional sofa.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Not tufted type, and linen might be better / poly heathered boucle... ?

Olga Modern Glam Velvet 3 Seater Sofa, Blush, Dark Brown · More Info

18"x18" Abstract Chainstitch Mid-century Modern Wool Braid Throw Pillow, Gray/Na · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

This green is so muted/ dark it's nearing old-color and nearer dark wood [than blush yeh] contemporary arms? 76"L x 32"W x 31"H

Modway Concur Button Tufted Performance Velvet Sofa With Green EEI-2997-GRN · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Nourison - Karma KRM05 - 7ft 10in x 10ft 6in Ivory · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

With your charcoal sofa, or 'my' spruce green sofa ---

Leon Throw, Ivory · More Info

Jamilah Channel Knit Throw, Blush, 50"x70" · More Info

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Do a fabric in the color of the pear, tone on tone, It will look great against the dark wainscoting, and you have ended the struggle to work with pink.

I suggest you start with a love seat (no skirting) fit between the two doors.

Keep the neutrals going in a pair of arm chairs.

Bring the colors of the wallpaper down on the floor. Visually, the rug and wallpaper work (at least on my monitor), but everything else is a soft contrast.

Thunder Dot thanked JudyG Designs
  • Thunder Dot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@JudyG Designs thanks! where's the rug from?

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County