Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolbrandywine

Built-in vs counter depth fridge? I'm confused.

Kendrah
3 years ago

We are moving into a new apartment. The fridge juts out too into the narrow kitchen doorway for my taste. (I'm boney and bet I'll get bruised on those handles regularly.) I love the built-in sub zero in our current house but those units are 84" tall and I don't think a new one will fit into the elevator in our new building.

I've seen counter depth fridges that are less than 84" tall, but they are deeper than a 24" built-in. Many are at least 30+" deep and it seems like that would jut out beyond the door way too. Are counter depths fridges really counter depth? What is shorter than 84" and actually flush with a counter?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• Merrylawn
    3 years ago

NOT A PRO BUT- I've been shopping for refrigerators myself lately and found myself asking the same questions! The "regular" refrigerators that call themselves counter-depth are in fact that BUT the door sticks out beyond the counter-depth measurement of 24". So, with the handles they can be as deep as 31". The true counter-depth fridges are going to be your high-end names only. At least that's what I have discovered so far.

• venmar
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Counter-depth fridges are generally 24 inches deep for the cabinet with the doors themselves projecting further beyond your kitchen cabinet as your photos show, you existing fridge appears to have particularly thick doors and projecting handles. What you are wanting for your situation is an integrated refrigerator which when installed is exactly in line with your kitchen cabinet doors as well as a shorter model. Fisher&Paykel makes such an Integrated (as well as cabinet depth) model with the standard short version and two taller models which just have taller cabinet extensions presumably intended to replace existing taller models such as a SubZero without major cabinet modifications. The three height versions are made to fit in alcoves with heights of 72, 80, and 84 inches.

Kendrah thanked venmar
  • wiscokid
    3 years ago

Bosch makes a CD fridge with integrated handles as well

Kendrah thanked wiscokid
  • venmar
    3 years ago

Hi Kendrah, the 72 inch tall model is on second page of integrated models, show more tab, model #RS36A72J1 N. It comes panel ready for your own cabinet matching panels or available optional stainless steel panel and handles. It really does have nice interior fittings, crisper drawers on easy slide ball bearing racks.

• Carrie B
    3 years ago

My counter depth fridge is 75" tall, and is perfect for me, but would be too small for most American families.

• User
    3 years ago

your fridge looks like it's sticking out more on the right side than on the left? or is that a trick of the lens? how far does it actually stick out beyond the cabinet? you need a couple of inches or you won't be able to open the doors wide.

one option to save space is to find a fridge with flush handles, like this Bosch:

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Carrie - What brand is your fridge and how wide is it? I'm open to exploring alternatives to a honking big fridge. (Though during the pandemic our big sub zero has been phenomenal for storing huge orders of meat, fish, soups, and sauces.)

There are only two of us in our household so on a regular basis we could do with a smaller fridge, but we do have large dinner parties and my parents stay for a week at a time and I can see a smaller fridge being challenging for that.

IloveMod - Yep, you are right, it is a trick of the lens. The great thing about integrated fridges is that they have some kind of hinge component that allows them to open very wide without needing the clearance you are talking about. So the door could be flush with the wall and open wide. I may have just explained to myself another advantage of an integrated vs a counter depth!

• Carrie B
    3 years ago

It’s a Summit, about 28” wide. There’s a fancier brand with roughly the same dimensions.

• Carrie B
    3 years ago

Here's the other, fancier fridge company I mentioned.

• wiscokid
    3 years ago

The Bosch that I mentioned, and that ILoveMod posted the photo of is a 36" model:

https://www.bosch-home.com/us/productslist/refrigerators/fridge-freezers/freestanding-fridge-freezers-with-freezer-at-bottom/B36CL80ENS

However, like almost all counter-depth fridges, the fridge body is cabinet depth, and the doors are proud by about 3 inches.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

It makes me crazy when some manufacturers describe as counter depth fridges that protrude well beyond 25" - it's basically false advertising!

Your best bet is go to AJMadison and enter in your maximum height, depth and width. Their search engine is particularly good.

I love the Liebherrs and have had three at different properties.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the AJ Madison tip. I found on there aFisher & Paykel. RS36A72J1N It is 24 deep, 36 wide, and 71 high. This could do the trick. It says it is build in, panel ready. I presume built in is the same as integrated?

While it is not inexpensive, at $4k it is still half the price of a subzero.

I'm not a fan of French Doors, but they seem to be quite common now, or at least within the parameters I'm looking in. I suppose it is practical for a galley. I find they hold much less on the doors.

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

In case someone reads this thread in the future, I just found agood video from 2017 explaining the F&P integrated 71" high. I don't know if the model has changed or if the market has changed since then but as of the time, this was the only integrated on the market that was shorter than 84".

• wiscokid
    3 years ago

French doors are also popular because everyone and their cousin thinks they have to have an island or they can't possibly cook in their kitchen and full width doors don't always jive with that "dream".

• Kendrah
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That makes sense wiscokid. I'm anti-island so it falls in line that I am anti-French doors. Although, I guess the width of an island across from a fridge is the same issue as galley kitchen cabinets across from a fridge. I'd still prefer a solid door. Much more storage. However, I'm glad I at least came across a shorter, integrated until even if it has maddening French doors.