Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skub4

What are some good paint colors to go with an abundance of maple trim?

skub4
3 years ago

We are updating a large main floor of a VERY open ranch floor plan. Keeping kitchen cabinets which are dark espresso in color but updating the countertops from tan to white with subtle dark charcoal veining and white chevron backsplash with dk gray grout. Current paint throughout is dark and more on the brown with green undertone color scheme. We get a lot of natural light. However, we have an abundance of maple trim--too much to paint, at least for now. Would like paint color to be more updated, maybe lighter and still provide a warm environment. What would you suggest?

Comments (15)

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

Can you post an image of the trim color? "Maple trim" could be just about any hue...

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Maple trim, needs B.M. November Rain. It is an off-white, with slight green undertone, which compliments your trim.

skub4 thanked JudyG Designs
  • skub4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you JudyG Designs! Would this off-white color look ok when the countertops and backsplash going in will be white? Because we have so much natural light we are worried that a cream may just look like a dirty white and have been leaning towards more griege colors.

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

A photo would be nice to see to get a feel for the room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

JudyG picked a color that I agree works with maple and will work with your dark cabinets. Green and maple is the classic color combination.

I just grabbed a picture of a kitchen with Espresso cabinets off the internet, gave it whiter cabinets and dropped some colors with green undertones onto the walls so you can give us a better idea of what you might like or what you hate.

I used the SW color viewer to do this only because it is easier to use the BM site - not because I like their paints or paint colors better.

Original Photo:

Sea Salt is a very popular blue green color that is too blue and too bright, but someone is bound to recommend.

skub4 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I threw Creamy in the mix - not green undertone - popular cream. That is one I would worry would come off too yellow/dirty, not November Rain.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO the soft sage would be my choice but before choosing colors make sure all the lighting is LED 4000K and I mean every light bulb in the main living space .

• skub4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much!!! Well turns out my color deck doesn’t have soft sage. I’ve had it for 2 years so I’ll go get a color sample. There are 2 paint colors used throughout main floor which is all open. SW Relaxed Khaki 6149 and SW Sandy Ridge 7535. In some lighting it looks greenish and sometimes it looks brownish. We are bored of it and have been incorporating more muddy grays into our decor where we can.

• skub4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The color around the vent is neither of the above mentioned. Not sure of it actually. It’s a creamy white. The side walls that you can’t see are relaxed khaki. New countertops and backsplash are not in. They are white.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Thank you for sharing the pictures and the current paint colors.

I pulled your two paint colors, filtered for colors that were lighter but not too white.

I also filtered for colors with a bit less chroma (more neutral, less colorful)

and because when you go lighter and less colorful the orange yellows go a bit pink, I also increased the hue to yellow through green.

My database does not have all the BM colors - just selected colors that I have added. I do not prefer SW over BM, but SW gives you all the data and BM makes me look up each color one at a time and add them to my database, so until I have time, I just add them on an add needed basis.

These are the colors that I would start if this were my home and I wanted to modernize.

(Top 2 are your current colors).

If you play with these and find that you like something but would like it a little lighter, a litter browner, a little greener or a little anything else we can try to find another color that is closer to what you want.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I saw some samples painted on your wall. That is not a good way to sample colors, especially when you have such strong, dark colors on the walls.

I always paint my samples on watercolor paper

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004M59O4C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

You want to look at the colors next to the things that are staying (cabinets, counter, flooring, furniture). You want a large white border between your current wall color and any other wall color you are testing so you are less influenced by the current wall color. Another option is to prime a few walls before testing.

You will want to look at the colors one at a time to pick your favorites.

Then look at them at different times of the day and on different walls and see if any issues arise.

Let us know how you are progressing.

• skub4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yay, gray owl is one of the color swatches I brought home. We actually have quite a bit of gray/charcoal in our scheme, via furniture and rugs that were brought in/suggested by a local designer that owns a furniture boutique. Most are not in these pictures and some look more brown in the pics. The darker grays look really good against the maple flooring. The current colors of the tan countertops, backsplash and wall color just seem dated to us (12 years old). We'd like to brighten it up and modernize it. :-)

• skub4
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jennifer Hogan, thank you SO much! I had actually pulled a few of those colors :-) I am definitely going to do what you said with the paint samples--that makes so much sense. We won't be painting until countertops and backsplash are in, so have some time to make decision. You nailed it when you said "modernize" the space as this space is 12 yrs old and besides being a bit dated, we are tired of it and long for something fresh. We do get a LOT of natural light, especially in the afternoon so I may need to go slightly darker with some of the colors, but we shall see. Thank you again!!!

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Your current countertops work well with the floors and cabinets - much better than a gray veined countertop would. I would just update the back splash and paint.