Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aec0413

Desperately needing makeover

Amy
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I live in a 1956 cinder block ranch. As you can see by the picture it looks horrible. I’ve been working on the inside and ready to focus on exterior.

My plan is to dig up the old bushes, paint (I know the soffit and facia boards need replacing First. Replace the porch railing, columns, roof.

Can I add a belly band to break with lighter shade on top and darker on the bottom? I’d like a light color on exterior. front door will remain Hale Naval.

Wondering how it would look with soffits and house being same color.

I don’t want shutters, maybe add trim to windows?

The sidewalk in front goes to nothing... maybe they parked on street when it was built.

I think a small gable roof porch would make a huge difference. The solar panels can be moved a little

Would like full , low growing, low maintenance landscaping but realize that needs to come last.

I have a bunch of ideas but not sure about anything and hoping others could give me some direction. I don’t have unlimited funds and can do some of the work myself.

Comments (14)

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago

I think your house is charming! I would not recommend a two tone (belly band) paint job as it'll make your house look squatty. Your ideas to replace the porch supports, add trim to the windows, and re-landscape will add much more curb-appeal. If you decide to go with a new porch roof, consider enlarging your porch across the front over to the garage. It'll add to the livability of your house.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Can't see what is happening at your entrance with the overhanging roof. Can you take a close up shot? Seems to me this is where the attention needs to be focused.

BTW no way to do the gable on the front without disturbing the solar panels.

• feronian2
    3 years ago

I agree with Jewelisfabulous. Adding a belly band will make it look smaller and lower. Same with shutters. We have a 1970s ranch that has the same kind of front profile. I think this very simple design is actually an opportunity, since you are not fighting with other strong design elements. We wanted to make our house feel more inviting--it seemed to kind of be "crouching" next to the garage. We added a front patio (poured, dyed concrete) and a railing to make the front of the house flow out into the yard more and open things up. Now we're working on changing the exterior lights and house number to tie into the style we're creating.

• Amy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Calidesign... by trim do you mean soffits and facia? I like your idea

• User
    3 years ago

The strong lines on your house are fascinating to me, including the solar panels. First thing I would do is get rid of all the plants at the foundation. What I would really want to do is replace all the windows with solid panes, replace the garage to something modern (dark, with a big X on it?, and framed in steel-looking?), and take away the porch posts and replace then with solid strong lines, and remove the railings entirely.

Grass is actually low maintenence, so if you are not ripping out the concrete just improving it could work. I’m not sure I’d plant much of anything.

I don’t know what color I would paint the house. Might depend on the neighborhood.

Amy thanked User
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

I think its a cute house, with a lot of bad landscaping. Your roof is going to be very expensive when you replace it. All the solar panels will have to be removed and reinstalled by a solar panel company. I like the charcoal color of the roof now, and would redo the same color, if it actually needs redoing. A cream or white house paint, will look the best and a dark charcoal for the trim. You can then pick a color for your front door, that will stand out and call attention to your entry.

Amy thanked cat_ky
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

Your front stoop is underwhelming. I agree with new porch posts but I think you need to consider enlarging the stoop itself. I can’t tell - is the left side of the porch closed in?

Regardless, the stoop is not welcoming and is not showcasing the front door.

And yeah, don’t paint the house a dark color.

Amy thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • User
    3 years ago

I like this garage door for your house

Rambler Redeemed - Front Entry and Garage · More Info

Amy thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Okay, so if I could afford to do everything I wanted to the house — replace the windows with solid panes, replace the garage door and make the porch supports solid metal beams — believe it or not, I might paint the house this color, with gray trim and a solid gray garage door framed in steel

1910 Historic Home; House Lift and Full Remodel · More Info

;)

depending on the neighborhood of course

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

The biggest improvement you could make is to remove the porch roof entirely. It's an add-on & looks like it. It hides the front door and messes up the lines of the house.

I would get rid of the siding on the garage. Match the garage to the house.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Yes, dark grey paint on the soffits, fascia, and trim around the windows. Also the columns and railings for the porch if you go with wood. Since you are replacing the porch columns and railings, I would extend the width of the porch steps so you only need side railings, and no railing on the front of the porch. It would really open up the doorway and make the house more welcoming.

Amy thanked calidesign
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

You will still need railings on the front of that porch. It is too high to pass code, and would be considered dangerous, if someone fell off.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

As long as you have side railings, I don't think front railings are needed. The porch isn't that wide, but I guess it's worth asking about.

Kellogg Residence · More Info

Entry Walkway and Portico · More Info

Amy thanked calidesign
Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus