Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gaitherpbyrd

Anyone have suggestions what color I should paint my cabinets?

gaitherpbyrd
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Better pictures of our cabinets that will be painted. The island cabinets will remain stained barn wood but wanted to show that angel.

We have a lot of barn wood in our home and everything seems so dark, want to brighten it up and make it look fresh.

Thanks!!

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    3 years ago

Painting the cabinets will never look as nice as the wood or be as durable unless you use furniture refinishers who will change over 5k to paint. Why not a new light countertop and light backslash instead?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Main Line, that's a completely false statement. It's your opinion, not a fact.

(and you don't use furniture refinishers to paint cabinets. you use pro's that specialize in painting cabinets)

• gaitherpbyrd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for that advice. Yes, I probably should have stated that we will be keeping the island as is. :-)

• Karen Heffernan
    3 years ago

Hi gaitherpbyrd, Beth H suggested some great whites. My personal favorite is Benjamin Moore White Dove; it's a lovely milk white (not too warm, not too cool, not too bright) that I had in my last kitchen. A good friend of mine liked it so much she used it in her home kitchen and her beach house kitchen. I also agree with replacing your lighting with LED, and if you go with 4000k, dimmers would be great.

You kitchen (and the space beyond) are really lovely, please post after photos!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

now that you posted pics of the whole area, I really don't mind the green.

it would probably be less money and mess if you replaced the countertops and the slate backsplash w/something lighter.

is that an option?

I'd change your hardware to copper or soft gold to tie in w/all of the wood and your pots.

maybe switch out the vent hood to a copper and wood one!

I do like the wood on your bar top and would leave that.

but switching that brown/gold counters w/something lighter, along /the backsplash, would be the change you're looking for.

But please, try doing the lights first! I promise you you'll be amazed

some examples of green w/lighter countertops (and brighter lighting!).

• Jessica
    3 years ago

I’m with Beth H. I like the green. Honestly, when I saw your first posted pic I had to pause to make sure it wasn’t an inspo pic. However, do what makes your heart sing. Life is too short. Good luck and be well.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    3 years ago

Your kitchen is Beautiful but if you need a change you have some brighter options. A lighter sage green or ivory would be beautiful.

• Little Bug
    3 years ago

I love your existing green cabinets.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I think your kitchen cabinets look very nice. I would change the color of them, as a last resort. I dont like the countertops, nor the backsplash, so that would be an absolute change for me. However, listen to Beth, on the lighting. She is absolutely correct, on the light bulbs, causing part of or maybe all of your discontent, and its the cheapest fix of all. Led daylight 4000k will make a huge difference.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

I like the green, it seems to fit the rest of your decor better than white would.

Depending on your budget, changing the cabinet hardware, backsplash and counters would update the space. (Although the existing counters tie in nicely with the copper accents)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

I agree. I like the green. It's an exceptional kitchen and the green color really fits the home's style. Why have a kitchen everyone else has?

I would paint the barnboard wall before the cabinets.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm