Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twashington

purple guest room with green armoire

Ty
10 years ago
I have a guest room that has purple walls and a big green armoire, both of which must stay (I don't have the energy to re-paint the walls nor re-paint the armoire nor remove the armoire). Everything else can be changed. Any ideas on decorating this guest room around the purple walls and green armoire?

Comments (49)

• Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Well if you don't want to paint? But you could improve the look by putting drapes across whole wall behind bed. Go white floor to ceiling. Then add new bedding using gray with eggplant or color of walls. Add pillows in the green. Area rug in white at end and under part way of bed.
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Interesting. I never thought of giving in to the green monster (armoire) and incorporating it's green into the decor. Brilliant!
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Here are some great products that will tie your room together!

Liora Manne Disco Purple Throw Pillow · More Info

DENY Designs Khristian A Howell Daydream Throw Pillow · More Info

Capel Rugs Kevin O'Brien Mesmerize Bloom Purple Area Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Love those rug and pillow ideas!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I love the wall colour. Embrace the Green Monster and add more green. And perhaps some blue too. A bit of pattern will help liven up the room. And some art on the walls.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Some art ideas:
    "Bicycle Touring Paris" Painting by Fifi Flowers · More Info

New York Art Print by Sketch Away · More Info

Morning Haze Art Print by Laura Ruth · More Info

Tulips in Watercolor · More Info
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ooo mforr, those are lovely.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    One more, I could go on for days, right carolins? ;)
    This one is a little different feel
    http://elizabethmarshallgalleryblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/11/lavender-fields-forever-painting-by-elizabeth-marshall-gallery/
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Please don't go on for days. Now I want to be in France, drinking a Mojito. You need to know when to stop :-)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Don't worry, I'm done. I'm practicing the art of "zen restraint" today. Ohm. Ohm. Ohm
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Some art work and different bedding will pull it together nicely.

If the white desk isn’t needed, put the armoir in its place.
    Lana Bed set by EcoSleep Australia 3 pc. Set · More Info

Artichokes Comforter Cover and Sham · More Info

Cori Dantini Community Tree King Duvet Cover · More Info
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I really like the barn and New York art. I like the other pieces and ideas too, but worry they'll make the room more feminine than unisex.
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    The wooden wall decor fades into the purple mauve-ish wall. Will you be removing them?
    Love judyg's bedding suggestions! you have a green armoire, white desk and honey side tables. Tempted to paint out the side tables white or if you have spare green paint.......?
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    the white desk is actually going to be removed. The wooden wall decors (they're actually plaster/fake stone decor from Marshalls) can be removed too. I prefer to not paint the side tables, but i can remove them too.
  • PRO
    Lumen Home Designs
    10 years ago
    you can find a furniture donation bank and they will come and take the furniture for free and give it to someone who needs it
  • amyz
    10 years ago
    How about this???
  • amyz
    10 years ago
    Saffron marigold is the company. Beautiful stuff and excellent customer service!
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    I would move the armoire to the wall where the desk now sets and it will give the room better balance. Incorporate that shade of green into your pics and bedding as others noted aboe.
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    if you don't embrace that green color, that piece will be the only thing one sees upon entering the room...
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    I like the balance of the matching lamps on each side of the bed - however, remove the wall 'plaque' from that wall. You could put floor to ceiling/almost wall to wall – at least past the side tables - curtains on that wall and would give the bed a ‘headboard’ - an area rug, under the bed would add warmth too. No need to paint the side tables because we don’t want to add another ‘color’ to the room. Those look fine... So, your bedding, draperies and carpet will finish the room with a BIG bang!
  • kimberly
    10 years ago
    I would bring in something green and purple for artwork. Maybe some throw pillows. The main thing is to tie the colors together.
  • Michelle Gower
    10 years ago
    Not much more to add since everyone else said what I came here to say - you HAVE to incorporate the armoire and its color in order to strike a balance. The bedding will be key like others have said and I love the art and pillow/bedding pics they've already uploaded...accessories will be what makes this room. My office is purple and my carpet is green...I was scared it would not work, but by embracing both the room is actually quite warm. (attached so you can see purple and green)
  • sunset3433
    10 years ago
    Grey lamps, new nightstands, wall decorations, grey rug. Really just grab a few color packets from a store and hold them up against the two colors and see which looks best. Then go from there. I really like those two colors together though.
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! Thanks everyone! Extremely helpful. I think I'll replace the night stands with the Ikea Aspelund night stands I have stored in the basement (
    ASPELUND Nightstand · More Info
    ). I'll start searching for bedding, art and decor with green tie ins.

I'm intrigued by the drapes behind the bed idea. Is this what people have in mind:
    Rustic Chic Masculine Bedroom Design · More Info
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    yes, that is it - gives the wall interest and adds depth to the bed AND it's an instant headboard!
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    now you've added 'white' night stands, please make sure there is some 'white' in your bedding as well as the purple and green...
  • Jill Owen
    10 years ago
    I think the colors are fun and you have got some good advice. But I would also move the location of the bed. In a corner (diagonal if possible) or heavy curtains across the wall that the head board sits against. Many people find it unsettling to have a window behind the bed as they are sleeping. I love all the windows but it needs a bit of a anchor around the bed, if that makes sense.
  • tonydianna1
    10 years ago
    definitely move the green armoire to center of wall where desk was, as suggested. third color in there is great idea too. so many great ideas from folks. maybe some warm, natural elements. wove baskets, artwork with bit of natural wood color so purple & green not too much. can't wait to see the room when you're done!!!
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    the room looks a bit small to angle a bed, however, it is always better to have a bed on ANY wall other than the wall with the beroom entrance. You want to 'present' the bed, not hide it. I do like a bed on an angle if the room will support it.'
  • User
    10 years ago
    What about using Annie Sloan chalk paint to paint the armoire white or another color that would work better with the plum walls. That type of paint and wax finish doesn't need and sanding or prep work and has no fumes, so you could do it in place in the room.
  • oliverpierson
    10 years ago
    I like the green punch of the armoire. How about moving th armoire to the wall where the desk is? The floor to ceiling curtain behind the bed could be done with a rod and gathered muslin (white) generously full floor to ceiling. Or look on line at various retailers for ready made curtains. Muslin is cheap!I The two wood looking plaques could be painted white and placed on the wall to the right of the door. Place the small one above the large one. The first watercolor that Mforrshowed you with the old barn in the background and the lavender in the foreground is lovely and nothing like real art to make a room look authentic. Great color scheme,
  • Judit
    10 years ago
    I think you need pattern here plus an additional colour.
  • wandawing
    10 years ago
    I really like the color plays in this room. The >POP< of the green cabinet was very smart. I agree with other posts. There needs to be some texture/pattern included in this space. The suggestions of art and pillows are a great idea. You could also keep the blinds but have a piece of fabric hanging off the window behind the bed -naturally defining a head board. I can tell that this is a "soothing/relaxing" environment. Deciding on artwork can be hard, try going to your local thrift store to find used/framed artwork (sometimes you can find already stretched canvases with a "child's vision" in which you can paint over and add your own touch), lamps, or even a set of (floral) plates that you can add to a wall. (When choosing -remember the rule of three.)

Consider moving the cabinet to the corner. In other words the cabinet would take the space of the corner at an angle -then move the desk over slightly. Perhaps behind the cabinet you could place a tall lamp or a lighting source to add dramatics (use a different watt than the side table lamps). I do think the natural light is incredible! Add some plants that will accent the greens and purples. Or get a sun catcher of sorts to change the day time texture in the room with dancing light.
  • Ty
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I moved some things around (see attached photos). Also, I'm considering picking up these pillow covers and curtains from Ikea (they're the only thing I can find with some purple and green): http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70224898/ (pillow covers) and http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40221575/ (curtain).

The lamps can be re-painted.

Am I moving in the right direction?
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    We need Grover to put some stuff up on that wall for us. Have you thought about putting long sideboard on the wall like picture way back in thread. If there's also a long piece of art over the top of it, then the mural and the darkness will recede. Just a thought. I'm thinking artwork would need some lightness and color. Remember the Jackson Pollocks I talked about. Maybe something like that for example, if Grover could manipulate it onto wall over sideboard we might find the wall to be less, eh
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I'm not as good as Grover, but to give you an idea:
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Aside from all the great ideas that you have already been given I wanted to add mine ,since you don't want to paint than why not add some fun stickers to the walls they come in different shapes and sizes and are easy to remove when you get tired of them ,here is one idea

Art Wall Decals Wall Stickers Tree Decal Winter Trees by Nou Wall · More Info
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    Remember, is you do ceiling to floor drapes behind bed, you'll want to add height to this wall as well. Perhaps some tall pottery, vases, or white glass pieces. One larger and a couple smaller - only three!
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    don't care for your drapery choice, however, must see it on the wall. Please move the night stands away from the bed - they look too 'tight'...
  • Linda Anthony
    10 years ago
    what is setting on those stands? need a pair of beautiful lamps on each nightstand!
  • tgrdnr
    10 years ago
    I know you don't want to repaint, but what about wallpapering one of the walls in a bright green pattern as an accent wall. This will brighten up the space and add alot of drama. I was thinking the wall behind the bed. Then get some purple bedding a couple shades darker than the other walls, so it isn't green bedding against green walls. Maybe you could get a green accent pillow? I would also recomend keeping the sheets white to jazz with the white nightstands you bought.

I kind of skimmed the comments so I don't know if you decided to keep and paint your lamps, or to get new ones. Either way, go with black. If you choose to get new ones, I would go with something slightly taller than you would imagine a table lamp being, and go with white shades.

I agree with whoever said to buy a white rug extending partway under the bed. This is an excellent idea and will add depth to the room by layering peices. I also agree with whoever said white curtains, however, I would go with sheer. If you are against white curtains for any reason, I would go with black curtains to match your now black lamps. Black, while being a neutral, would also help anchor the space as well as modernize it.

I also think that the wall with the armoir against it should have some sort of art against it. I would refrain from going with warmer colors like reds and oranges and yellows. While I appreciate contrast (Actually, I love contrast), the picture being the only point of contrast in the room would not look good at all. I also think that if you get and a green-and-purple themed painting, like suggested above, it might over play the theme and/or blend in. However, it would still be better than a warm-colored painting. If it were me, I would go with a black and white photograph or a black and white abstract painting. By the black and white abstract painting, I mean BLACK and WHITE, not all the gray tones in between that you would find in a photograph.

As a final note, if your budget includes it, I would Include a glitzy (is that a word) glass light fixture, which would really add some drama to the room. I will link pictures below.
  • tgrdnr
    10 years ago
    Here is an example of a chandaleir a little more on the expensive side, but you get the idea (It's the first pic, nothing is linking right today):

http://www.houzz.com/photos/ceiling-lighting/pt-737/glass

ALso some ideas for wallpaper that would help add pattern into the room:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/wall-treatments/pt-738/lime-green (1st picture in the 14th row down, again, nothing is linking right)

http://www.houzz.com/photos/wall-treatments/pt-738/lime-green/p/432 (2nd picture in the 17th row down. I think I must be doing something wrong trying to link these ): )
  • PRO
  • Rivka G
    8 years ago

Hi, I know this is an old discussion, but I was wondering what color paint you have on these walls? I am looking for a similar purple. Thanks!