Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trecia114

Black matte/suede/honed countertops

trecia114
3 years ago

Can anyone suggest a countertop that is solid black, no flecks, no sparkles, no gloss, nothing, just matte black? Struggling to find this. I am aware of Cambria black pool matte, but I have read comments about this product that concern me.

Comments (30)

• Therese N
    3 years ago

You’re not going to find anything natural that doesn’t have some veins or specks. I just got soapstone and tried to find a slab with the least amount of marks. As far as the finish, though - that soft, matte finish in soapstone is unlike any other. I love mine. If you change your mind and could live with some natural marks, find a fabricator that will refer you to a stone yard with a big selection. Other options are large format porcelain slabs. It’s relatively new to the industry. (The counters in this pic had just been installed and wax freshly applied, so it looks more shiny than it is now)

• wdccruise
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Corian "Deep Nocturne":

----

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Absolute Black granite....HONED.

In general · More Info

In general · More Info

• res2architect
    3 years ago

I keep thinking of my high school chemistry class. Only needs a Bunsen burner.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Black honed............GRANITE, and a nice link to living with it. Either way? Do NOT hone a quartz, and since you will accept no vein , and no nothing? Probably your best route in terms of look AND maintenance.

Me? I'd take soapstone ANY day.....but. You will be hard pressed to eliminate all veining.

https://emilyaclark.com/2017/10/our-black-honed-granite-kitchen-countertops.html

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jan- do you have closer pictures of the absolute black granite honed? That might work. Looks like it has very little movement.

Thank you for the link! I previously read that article and the blogger only identifies the color as “black.” I have been to the stone yard and online and I find no granite products identified as “black.”

So far, cambria black pool matte is in the lead, but I’d like to find something cheaper.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Absolute black honed granite has NONE, NO NADA movement. that is why it is called.....absolute BLACK. Go to a stone yard : )

" Absolute Black" GRANITE. It is named that way for a reason.

"Absolute Black granite is a solid black granite from India that has a very consistent color and texture. Absolute Black is recommended for both interior and exterior use to create beautiful granite countertops, floors, architectural features, and outdoor cladding.Description:"

https://www.msisurfaces.com/granite/absolute-black/

You aren't going to find anything "blacker" .........and matte, that doesn't become a maintenance ISSUE. HONING QUARTZ? YOU SIMPLY ELIMINATE THE EASE OF MAINTENANCE PURPOSE TO THE MATERIAL. . Trust me on that one.

Otherwise? Look at Corian sheets. Try "Black Anthracite" ,

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!!!

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago

Black and matte shows handprints and finger prints and other signs of kitchen use. The textured surface holds on to them too. Be careful what you ask for!

• cpwrapidreader
    3 years ago

PLease listen to me. I got the Cambria solid black quartz. It shows every dust particle, every dog hair that floats through the air, every drop of water dries to an outline, it never ever looks clean, it has developed some really odd discolorations. I have written Cambria, but of course they don’t reply. I adore a black counter, but do not get solid. Try a soapstone look. Do not get solid black.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Celadon is right! Based on your description it sounds like you want absolute black honed, the good news for you is that it is readily available, fairly inexpensive, and hardy. It does show a lot though- hand prints, water spots... we clean ours with vodka and a microfiber

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

Get yourself Norwex dusting cloths. Dampen.........and WIPE! Takes off everything and I do mean everything. You will ask how you lived without them. EVERYWHERE. YOU WILL NEVER AGAIN use ANYTHING ELSE. EVE. YOU WILL THROW ALL ELSE TO THE TRASH.

https://shopus.norwex.biz/en_US/customer/shop/product-detail/700010?categoryName=Cleaning_Microfiber

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is all great info!! Thank you so much.

• K H
    3 years ago

Why not go with Formica? They have an absolute matte black and it’s very affordable and very easy to clean.

• K H
    3 years ago

I also agree with Res. Im a science teacher and this is the exact description of my chemical lab benchtops.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

Brushed absolute black granite is exactly what you describe. I have it in my powder room and on my fireplace surround. I love the texture and it does not stain like my dds honed absolute black.

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Ilovered does the “brushed” granite feel/look smooth? We looked at some other brushed granite products and they were not smooth.

• ILoveRed
    3 years ago

mine definitely has a smooth appearance to it but a subtle, slightly textured feel to it. Not shiny but matte. my younger dd has a textured black granite that is much more “pitted” than mine. Still very pretty but more obviously textured I think.

difficult to describe. Perhaps how “brushed” the product is will depend on your fabricator?

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ilovered- the fireplace color finish is exactly what I want. ❤️

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Trecia, "Genuine" Absolute Black is not cheap, compared to other blacks. (those that are saying it's inexpensive are not talking about REAL Absolute) True AB has no grain,(like you would see in basalt) no gray tone, no inconsistent coloring, And it's black as black can be.

You'll also have to be very careful to get the genuine AB and not the India black that they dye. True AB comes from parts of Sweden and South Africa, if I remember correctly.(Sweden also produces famous Ebony Black granite) If they're selling you absolute black from India/Asia it's not genuine AB. It's another black granite that does not have the rich black tone like AB does.

What some stone places do is pass off black granite from china and india as AB. They dye it. What you can do is take some acetone and a rag with you and wipe it across the face. (it won't hurt real stone) . If the rag comes away w/black residue, you have a counterfeit. You can then take MEK (Methyl Ethel Ketone) and apply to a different part of the stone. If you get any color transfer the stone has been dyed.

Dyed black granite will eventually wear in the most used areas leaving you w/lighter patches and graying.

Also, True AB is so dense, you won't need to seal, nor should you, as a sealer would just sit on top. It's so dense, a sealer will not penetrate. Even installers are ignorant to this fact. A sealer on top of real AB will leave haze and streaks.

There are several quarries of Absolute Black in India but very few produce the deep intensive black color. The solution to meet the demand is to apply a resin with color so it matches the natural Absolute Black. Once, the resin is applied, there are many lesser quality black granites that can be used to satisfy the demand. Buyers beware. There are many types of resins so the color could yellow over time or show some cracking or who knows what. In addition, the edges need to be darkened with a lacquer and there are several types of lacquer that last longer than the others. Basically, your beautiful elegant black granite kitchen countertop will fade into a darker grey but, the original owner saved some dollars.

Now, if you don't mind a knock-off, that's up to you, but don't pay premium price for something that's not real AB. There is a slew of black granite from all over the world and they all got grouped into the Absolute Black' heading. They're not. I just don't want anyone to pay premium price for something they aren't getting.

Other alternatives:

however, if you want another true matte stone, look into basalt. also know as Lava Stone

Mongolia black basalt (basalt comes in diff finishes and different shades of black/gray)

(I did fine this Italian pieta lavica basalt countertop)

Neolith makes a basalt look-alike

You're not willing to have a just a little veining? Silestone Eternal Charcoal matte, is pretty close. I have this one in the light gray and it's a great countertop

• kculbers
    3 years ago

I have Silestone Soapstone engineered quartz countertops. The have very subtle grey veining. I love them. Easy to clean and look great.

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Beth: THANK YOU!!! Fabulous post! I do like the Silestone Eternal. I think I could deal with the veining; as long as the countertop is black, not gray.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

tricia, the Eternal Charcoal is a very dark charcoal. see above. she has the polished, and the one I posted is in the matte or 'suede' finish

Silestone does have a quartz black marble, but it may have the veins. it's a true black. they have the Marquina and the Noir

MSI has this one

• trecia114
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We are working with MSI. I do not care for the bright white veining.

• HU-765755942
    3 years ago

Black Soapstone! That’s what I ended with for my perimeter.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

trecia, if you all you want is solid black, then go to a reputable dealer that has black granite. Like I said, true AB isn't cheap, but it's the blackest, fine-grain granite you'll find. If you don't mind the knock-offs that are lighter, try that one, but just make sure they aren't dyed.

Leathered Jet Mist, or Virginia Mist would be fine.

Negresco is supposedly a quartzite (not sure) that resembles a soapstone. this is honed:

Caesarstone makes a Jet Black quartz

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

Jet mist honed is great if you don’t mind fine white swirls

• lalame
    2 years ago

If you can't find Absolute Black, try looking into honed Negresco granite. They really vary... I picked a slab that had very subtle veining in some spots but mostly black on the rest of the slab. I also saw slabs that had imperceptible veining. Just look for Negresco granite... there's a Negresco quartzite that has a lot more movement.