Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beary

What colour should I paint the interior of this door?

beary
3 years ago

I just finished a main floor renovation of a 1960's home and still have a few things to work on. this door, I was thinking of painting it black (the interior of the front doors of the house are visible from the space (on the left side) but not shown in the picture.) So I was thinking black would be good, but also wonder if I should have them painted in the same colour as the walls? I took a picture from afar so you can get the idea...

Any thoughts would be great. Thank you

Kitchen and door question · More Info

Comments (12)

• beary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, runner or no runner from the door down the 'hall' space? (I was thinking 3 x 10)

• User
    3 years ago

Personally I would paint it pastel blue or pastel pink. Like the decorative objects and tulips you have on your table. Can‘t see what is in the opposite direction from your photo,

beary thanked User
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I would do same as walls.

• eld6161
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I agree with Jinx. Same as walls. You have so many beautiful elements in this kitchen, no need to draw the eye to the door.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

The entire space is really lovely. Trust your taste.

Yes to black door - Drawing the eye to the door is a good thing as your eyes go to the view, with the glass it won’t overwhelm and finally it’s a style statement and coordinates well with the other black items. If you don’t like, easy to just repaint

Yes to runner - Subtle but warm and complimenting your choices

beary thanked Maureen
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

Looks disjointed and becomes the wrong focal point.

beary thanked Jilly
  • nhb22
    3 years ago

While I do like the example that Maureen has shown, I think that your situation is different in that you have the windows right next to the door. I think you should stick with the wall color so that entire corner is pleasing to the eye. Such a wonderful renovation!

And a wide enough runner that can run over to your sink area would be best. You don't want to create a tripping hazard by having it too far away from where you stand.

beary thanked nhb22
  • User
    3 years ago

Drawing the eye to the door is fine, whether it is black or a color. It’s not just that there is a pretty view and light to enjoy, but any door adds a touch of mystery, personality, imagination to a space, and fights claustrophobia, even if shut. So it is a feature of the room that can stand up to being included in the room, not painted out,

My biggest disinclination to paint it black is not just my love of color but the combo of black chairs, black bar stools and black chandeliers, but otherwise this is not a black and white decor scheme. If you paint the door black, suggest getting a black and white rug for the sink, or getting new bar stools that aren’t black

beary thanked User
  • tartanmeup
    3 years ago

My first thought was the same colour as wall but then italmover's colour suggestion intrigued me. I could also see a hint of a light colour on that door and pink is so pretty! Black would be too heavy, imo, and overpower the lovely harmonious details you have in the kitchen. The subtle gleam of the sconces that relate to the island's wood won't catch your eye as much.

Maureen's examples are gorgeous but notice the narrow focus. They're galley kitchens. The black detail at the end of the kitchen makes sense.

Any black poster board on hand? Get crafty and test it out before getting out the paintbrushes. Cheaper and less time consuming than painting twice if you don't like it.

beary thanked tartanmeup
  • User
    3 years ago

It is amazing how much bar stools can define a space and how, by switching them out, you change the entire sense of all the space — whether it is one unified sweeping space that includes everything from the back wall to the dining table, or whether you are creating a kitchen space with a fun bar plus a separate dining table arrangement that is special. The different metals and woods, painted and unpainted surfaces in the room make for quite a range of possibilities.

Imagining the door to be black, it gets to look very different each time you change the bar stools

Baron Barstool, Beige · More Info

Bowery Hill 30" Swivel Bar Stool in Khaki · More Info

Amisco Cardin Swivel Stool, HO Biscuit, 26" · More Info

couldn’t do this one with black, and I’m sorry the legs are gray (maybe ok with a gray rug at the sink) but it changes everything if the door is faintly blue and the stools are like this

Janet Camel Back Bar Stool, Ginny Floral Harvest · More Info

• beary
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! Great thoughts and ideas from everyone. Right down the middle...lol. Problem is, I see everyone's point. I think I'll do what tarteneump suggested, get some black poster board. ital mover's idea of a light colour is so cute... I think it would change the vibe of the room (great room with living room too) and would seem random, that my only thought on a light pastel colour)

I see too about the possible 'black and white scheme', something I definantately don't want. The counter stools are actually wikker, with a black, brown stain. I love those stools! I won't be changing them. (I wanted something with a low profile and straight top.)

Time to experiment now! I love that people give such creative and thoughtful responses. Thank you so much.

• socks
    3 years ago

Yes to the runner.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH