Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merpaull

Trim makes me cry - decide for me please?

Mer
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Is that enough first-world-privileged-melodrama? In the age old dilemma on trim: baseboards, window, moulding, doorframes etc. I live in a 1920s home with an 2010s addition and there is so.much.friggin.trim. I think we have every possible combo currently.

• 1st Floor: Kitchen has all white trim and white crown moulding, every other room has dark baseboards, dark trim, dark moulding, some of it original, in the addition it was made to look like the original
  • 2nd floor: Largely has originally, shiny varnish honey/dark baseboards, window trim and original moulding. In one room upstairs we have original trim that was painted white (it's chipping terribly so I know I don't want to go the painting route, we'd be talking full replacement)
  • 3rd floor: finished attic, dark baseboards on the stairs up, all white trim and baseboards once you get there
  • Basement: dark painted trim going down steps, white baseboards in finished basement.

The variety really makes me want to scream. I haven't priced out my options yet but:

1. Just make it all white? this seems to be what buyers are inevitably looking for, but there are so many flipping windows.
  2. Strip the kitchen back to dark (get the 1st floor matching), over time get second floor back to dark via gel stain or trim replacement and stain?
  3. Find a different combo that works (white baseboards, white or room-pain-matching moulding, dark windows and doorways)?
Just make it all white? this seems to be what buyers are inevitably looking for, but there are so many flipping windows.
Strip the kitchen back to dark (get the 1st floor matching), over time get second floor back to dark via gel stain or trim replacement and stain?
Find a different combo that works (white baseboards, white or room-pain-matching moulding, dark windows and doorways)?

Comments (15)

• Mer
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Entry into front living room (under construction)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Most old homes had painted wood in kitchens and bathrooms and natural in public rooms, bedrooms were often natural but sometimes a lower grade wood than public rooms.

• Mer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

1st floor family/dining room

• Mer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

1st floor kitchen/breakfast

• Mer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HALLETT & Co. that is super interesting to conceptualize in today's world of "open floor plan" living, but make sense in the undoubtedly compartmentalized space of the original 1920s floor plan

• Isaac
    3 years ago

Option 4 - don't sweat it (except for dealing with the chipping stuff.). Mixed trim is totally fine IMO.

• Mer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Still seeking suggestions on crown moulding / ceiling trim. I think I've grown to like the dark window and baseboard trim (still have to figure out the painted stuff in the kitchen), but dark crown moulding just shortens all my rooms too much!!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Where do you have crown moulding? I don't see it in the photos? Many styles of homes never had crown moulding...

• Mer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HALLETT & Co. Only in the dining room on the first floor, but all of the painting has been done (not according to my wishes) with the "expectation" of ceiling trim so if I don't install, all the painting will need to be redone/retouched

• PRO
    Ezyjamb
    2 years ago

If you were opting for all white to blend in with the walls you could even go trimless - although this would be a large project of reworking your architectural openings so depends on your budget.

• Mer
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kats737 would you be wiling to share a pic of your ceiling trim? or brand and style if you have it?

• kats737
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Mer this is what it looks like. the archway had been ripped out by the previous owner to open up the space, so we rebuilt the wall and had a woodworker make trim to match what was adjacent.

the contrast looks a bit stark in the photo; with filtered light it blends better

• PRO
    Angelbau
    last year

The trim choices for baseboard and crown molding 100% depend on the interior design you want for the space (less so on the architecture unless you want to keep everything true to its era).

Many of our clients have remodeled their victorian houses into modernist homes — the exterior looks Victorian but the interior is updated to modern living standards, without crown molding, window trim, and with traditional baseboards switched to flush recessed baseboards. It boils down to the intention — to provide a cleaner canvas for your key design move and to allow the homeowner to mix antiques with modern amenities without overcrowding the interior.

• cpartist
    last year

Many of our clients have remodeled their victorian houses into modernist homes — the exterior looks Victorian but the interior is updated to modern living standards, without crown molding, window trim, and with traditional baseboards switched to flush recessed baseboards. It boils down to the intention — to provide a cleaner canvas for your key design move and to allow the homeowner to mix antiques with modern amenities without overcrowding the interior.

Please make sure I NEVER hire you to redo a house. There is nothing wonderful about remuddling a house and turning it into something it's not.

I went looking for 2 years in my area for a craftsman style home. Guess what? Everyone was remuddled like you're talking about and I could tell you almost to the year they had remuddled it based on how it had been done.

And guess what? It looked out of place and more dated than if the owners had kept the house more true to the period it was built. So all that "modernizing" you're doing in Victorian homes? Won't look modern when they're going to sell in 10 or 20 years. It will just look like they b@st@rdized it.