Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaybry

Does the low chair in the corner work?

kaybry
3 years ago

I’m good with mixing these styles but, need pro advice on whether the height is too low or not? Trying to decide whether to keep or return. I see a lot of photos these days with low chairs in rooms with other regular sized furniture, but how does it look overall? Driving myself crazy over this, thank you all!

Comments (25)

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I think it looks fine. You said you want pro advice, but there are plenty of talented folks here who don't wear that official badge.

kaybry thanked IdaClaire
  • threers
    3 years ago

The chair is fine but I think it needs a small table/floor lamp...why not bring it closer to the table and chair already in the room. (yes, it will look different than the leather chair but that is OK)

kaybry thanked threers
  • kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you IdaClaire, everyone here is so talented and I really appreciate everyone’s feedback.

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

From a layperson’s perspective only, it’s not that the chair is too low, it just looks a bit lost. Try pulling in closer/over a bit and add a large plant to help balance/ground the corner.

If you decide to return, a leather chair similar to what you have, placed on other side of table and a plant in corner would work as well.

kaybry thanked Maureen
  • kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Threers I wondered about a little stool or table, thanks! someone had given me feedback that it might look too cluttered, but I think a small one would be good. Seriously, I thought people would say the chair is a no go, too little.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Such a pretty room! I like the chair, and other than maybe pulling it out of the corner a bit, wouldn’t add anything to clutter that lovely, light-filled corner. I love all the windows. :)

ETA: You could pull it towards the table and put a small basket next to it for magazines, throws, etc.

kaybry thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

It's perhaps not the best choice for the room. It could be made to work though if there was no other choice. Agree with @Maureen above

kaybry thanked LilDesignWorks
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

You don't need to add anything to the room, and the chair is fine. You just need to pull it out of the corner and place it right next to the round end table with it's back to the larger window. Leave the corner clear.

kaybry thanked calidesign
  • S D
    3 years ago

Is the leather chair on the opposite side of the room a pair? If so, try switching out the new chair with the leather one and move it out of the corner. The new chair has a lower back and might give a more open feel to your arrangement.

kaybry thanked S D
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

Agree pulling the chair out of the corner closer to the round table might be better.

Your coffee table looks familiar. Possibly Tanner from Pottery Barn?

kaybry thanked chloebud
  • kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chloebud, yes coffee table, round end table and both brown recliners are PB. I only wish the brown leather was a lighter color, but determined to work with it since they were so expensive when I chose them 6 years ago.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

You have a beautiful house! It looks great with having the pair of chairs together. They are a classic timeless design. To make it look lighter recover the 2 blue pillows in a lighter white or off white color, and when ready choose white curtains even if just sheers. I would keep the curtain for the small window always shut as well aas the blind behind it, it helps with the room proportion and it allows you to watch tv better during the day. If you have white sheers on all windows you can then keep the blinds on the large window open during the day and lots of light will come in:)

• kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LilDesignWorks I do have ivory lumbars for them. I had ivory drapes in the last house and wanted to do something to contrast the walls here. If I add the ivory pillows, where else can I pull in my bits of blue?

• Jilly
    3 years ago

I like your curtains and pillows as they are.

kaybry thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Great! Put the ivory lumbers and drapes up and it will be an instant improvement. You dont need the blue there! 🤗🤗

• kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m keeping the gray textured drapes. I had ivory at my previous home and wanted some contrast here. I do have some gray in all my rooms.

• PRO
    LilDesignWorks
    3 years ago

Of course:) each home is a work in progress and our choices are informed by past decisions:) enjoy your house, its a great space!

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Switch worked out really well. For your touch of blue and to lighten the leather chairs, here is a cushion I thought you might like. You can even add a beige square pillow behind.

For example

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Looks good, kaybry!

Regarding the Tanner tables, I wanted to order the coffee table but wanted the "bronze" color PB gives in their online description. It does appear that color in several of their photos...very dark/deep brown. However, I've been told it's actually black...?

• kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Maureen, those look veryyyy nice! Has an updated boho look that I love too. Thanks!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Maybe its just the camera angle that makes the seating in the foreground look so bulky compared to the chair, but it looks 3/4 scale to me by comparison; like a kid's version of regular furniture. It looks better on its own, but still is petite compared to everything else, even the table beside it.

• kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Chloebud,

here is my tanner coffee table up close. I didn’t want black either but my designer convinced me it would not be an issue and she was right! Also, my rug is also PB easy care, the one made of recycled bottles.

• kaybry
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Decoenthusiaste, it totally looks like a kid chair! After moving the recliners together I’ve decided the other space needs a full size chair too. It’s going back!

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I like what you have, alot.