Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_490780394

Blue Star color dilemma: ruby or carmine?

Italian Cook
3 years ago

I am very close to purchasing a Blue Star range and hood, which will be the centerpiece of our remodeled kitchen. Blue Star has sent me color samples, and pictures. My Ruby Red RAL 3003 sample appears burgundy. Very dark, almost a wine red or brown red. The pictures of ruby red ranges, however, look to be a deep cherry red, similar to Kitchen Aid’s empire ( traditional mixer color) red, a true deep red, not burgundy. My next option is to go with Carmine Red, 3002, but a picture I have seen of that range on line appeared leaning towards orange red. I want the cherry red, but I’m afraid to order it because of my sample. I know this was discussed back in 2007, but the poster went with an entirely different color, so the question never got answered. Does anybody have a ruby red range and can help me out with a description of your color? Does it look burgundy at all?

Comments (17)

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

I would trust your eyes in your space, and not worry about photoshopped/over exposed images online. Hold the sample low, and high, just like your range and hood will be.

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. I have done that. I’ve actually taped it up and below in those spaces for days at a time, to see it I. Various lighting situations. A BS regional manager who has been kind enough to work with me on this issue describes the color as a deep cherry red, not burgundy, and my KD said the smaller samples often appear darker than when enlarged in real life on the range and hood, so hence my confusion. I’m afraid carmine will then appear too bright and orange red, while ruby might be just the color I’m hoping for. I so appreciate your input, but was hoping for a color description by a ruby red range or hood owner to validate the look of the color. If only I could see a red range in real life (and compare it to my sample) before I have to order, that would be ideal. That not being possible, I’m reaching out for owners’ descriptions.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

I agree that the small sample will appear darker than the actual range. Good luck! Hope it's exactly what you wanted once you decide :)

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your reply. So kind of you. I’ve set today for my decision deadline, after researching this for over a month, so I’m just going to have to take a plunge. Hopefully I’ll learn to live with either a too bright or too dark color...unless it turns out to be just right. I feel like Goldilocks!

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

I looked at the google images, I would go with the Ruby Red...which was your instinct I believe :) I just did a kitchen with very dark green cabinets...for a second I doubted if they were going to be too dark based on the small door sample that my cabinet maker gave me...they are SO perfect! I'm glad that I didn't go a shade lighter. The larger scale really changes the color a little.

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very helpful...thanks!

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. I only have a choice of ruby red or carmine red, both RAL paint colors. In my case, any color of red beings me joy and happiness!

• Murffy
    2 years ago

Italian Cook.

Would love to see pics when you get your beauty installed. I have the same RAL paint chips lying in my kitchen waiting for red inspiration. Hoping the Ruby Red works out for you.

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I ended up ordering my range in Carmine . Ruby just looked too burgandy, in spite of my brightly lit kitchen. i am nervou awaiting word on production and delivery.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

Wow, the range and hood are gorgeous! You picked the right color that is for sure!

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. It was so nerve wracking, choosing the color, from a small sample (that decision alone took me almost two months!) , then waiting almost three months for production and delivery, but the end result was worth all the stress. We’re so happy with it!

• Rebekah L
    2 years ago

That is so bold and oh my gosh did you pull it off! I don't think I could cook in that kitchen, I'd just stand there and drool.

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Haha. Thanks It looks like somebody threw a vanilla milkshake all over the entire kitchen… except for the range/hood! It totally stands out. That’s why I was so anxious about picking the right color! I love red!

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Murffy
    I know it been a few months, but did you ever make a decision? Just want to reassure you that if you go with your gut ( or did), your decision will be the right one.

• Murffy
    2 years ago

Italian Cook

Wow, just wow.

No, I still have some time before I have to make a decision. Your range and hood combination is just breathtaking.

And it suits your houzz name perfectly!

• Italian Cook
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. I have to admit, I’m extra happy now every time I’m cooking. Good luck with your kitchen reno!