Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romacharpentier

In between SW Sea Salt and SW Filmy Green

bondia
3 years ago

If Sherwin Williams Sea Salt is too blue and SW Filmy Green is too green, is there a SW paint color in-between? This is for a north and east facing bedroom. I am considering tweaking Sea Salt with a bit of yellow colorant per a suggestion by JAN MOYER in another thread but that scares me :) Thank you.

Comments (18)

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Pearl Gray + Picnic Basket sit a couple of degrees anti-clockwise of Sea Salt. Each is a little darker than Sea Salt. They are both a touch more neutral than Sea Salt.

This maybe enough of a move to lessen the sensation of blueness, possibly not,,

Gray Wisp is both darker and a touch more colourful than Sea Salt.

C2 Glacial Stream sits approx 10° anticlockwise of Sea Salt & is a little more colourful, but less so than Filmy Green.

Emmie’s Room is a similar Value to Sea Salt but much nearer to neutral than Filmy Green.

It will appear less green by comparison.

Night Mist is similar in Value + Chroma to Sea Salt and is less colourful than Filmy Green so would be more neutral by comparison.

🌈

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

bondia thanked Marylee H
  • bondia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marylee H, Thank you so much for your response. I'm going to get samples of the Benjamin Moore colors Monday. I'm not sure if C2 or Kilz are sold locally. Pearl Gray still looks quite blue in my color fan deck. The room I'll be painting has east and north light and if I understand correctly, that is more likely to make these colors tend toward blue? Thanks again.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

The room I'll be painting has east and north light and if I understand correctly, that is more likely to make these colors tend toward blue?

That's one of those color things that have been copied and repeated so many times by so many bloggers who make crap up about color for a living that people think it has to be true.

It's not.

bondia thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • PRO
    Hillary Hanson Interiors
    3 years ago

SW sea salt is a very popular color. I work at Lowe’s and help out in the paint department occasionally and people are always getting that color. If anything get a sample size from your local Sherwin Williams store or Lowe’s, and paint some on all of the walls in the room. If you do this, definitely look at the color at different times of the day, as it will appear different depending on the amount of light in the room.

bondia thanked Hillary Hanson Interiors
  • bondia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've seen SW Sea Salt in my sister's bathroom and in my dentist office, gorgeous color but it reads blue to me in those locations and given my bedroom faces north and east, I think it's more likely to look blue there, too. But you're right, the only way to know is to test it.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

P.s. The Kilz Magnolia Home is the Joanna Gaines line of paints.

🌈

bondia thanked Marylee H
  • immomx3
    3 years ago

We used Sea Salt in 2 bathrooms. One is the Master Bath which has a lot of natural light and the other is the hall bathroom without windows. I find that I love both. In the windowless bathroom the color is more intense. I don't pick up any tinge of blue in either bathrooms. Testing it out is the only way to go.

• bondia
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Lori A Sawaya - it's interesting how those things get repeated and no one checks to see if they are true!.

And thank you Hillary Hanson Interiors, immomx3, and Marylee H. I really appreciate the help. I hope to get some samples tomorrow. Have any of you heard that Sherwin Williams is generally all out of the base they use to make test pots/samples? So we have to buy quarts, or get a tester color matched somewhere else. They are out due to the Texas freeze awhile back I was told.

• ninakat
    2 years ago

Yes, went to Sherwin Williams two days ago (June 24) and they had to go in the back to be sure they had base, which they did have. I had to buy quarts as samples. Told due to Texas freeze.

• Becky H
    2 years ago

Im in TX tried to get samples of stain they didnt have the base to make the stain. They did say they have plenty of the paint for my cabinet perimeter.

• bondia
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm the OP. Just as an update, not that the info will help anyone else, but I ended up using SW Sea Salt, a 75% formulation, which looks extremely close to SW Sea Salt 100%. I got a sample of it and even though it was a bit bluer than I wanted, it is a very pretty color, and this is one of those situations where I could be happy with something that wasn't precisely what I had originally hoped for, and I am. (Also I was running out of time to make a color decision.) Thank you to all who generously gave such helpful information.

• Marylee H
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback! Always useful. 🌈

bondia thanked Marylee H
  • Ram K
    2 years ago

Hey, Can you please post the pic of wall that has sea salt.

• bondia
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is 75% SW Sea Salt. It is much prettier in person than shown here. It’s a bit greener, it looks quite gray here and it is grayish but not as gray as it looks here. Sorry the lighting isn’t better. Let me know if you want any other photos.

• salonva
    2 years ago

That looks great. I did Sea Salt in my powder room and I love it. I agree it's really hard to photograph. I tried a few times and it just looks almost white in the photos but it really has some nice depth to it in real life.

• bondia
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Salonva, yes, I'd say the top photo with the chair in it is the only one that even hints at what Sea Salt really looks like. It is a lovely color.