Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flopsycat1

Microwave venting.

flopsycat1
3 years ago

Building inspector said Whirlpool microwave needs repair to vent properly. He indicated that it just need a “plate” to cover it. I can’t really see what he meant. He did not indicate that it was actually installed incorrectly, but it’s venting into the house. Any ideas? Thank you!

Comments (20)

• User
    3 years ago

I think they call them “dampers”.

flopsycat1 thanked User
  • cat_ky
    3 years ago

It appears there is a gap between the piping that goes up through the ceiling, and the piece coming out of the top of the microwave. That needs to be put together, and screwed and also taped with metal tape. I would assume that is what he is talking about, unless he was in the attic and saw it was venting into the attic and not out a vent to the roof.

flopsycat1 thanked cat_ky
  • flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@cat_ky Thank you! I hope you’re correct since no one will service microwaves. They say it’s cheaper to replace than repair, and id hate to replace it if it only needs a simple repair.

• Stax
    3 years ago

He does not say the microwave is in need of repair, he says the Vent Duct needs to be properly connected. See cat_ky above and ignore Jimmy.

flopsycat1 thanked Stax
  • flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for your responses! This is in my son‘s house so I can’t really check it out. Will convey info to him since he’s too busy moving into the house to surf houzz! Hoping for an easy fix.

• User
    3 years ago

The installation manual is available on the internet. I think the missing part is called a damper.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Post a better photo on here... maybe your son can text you a photo and you can post?

• flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Totally frustrating! I forwarded responses to my son, hoping for an easy fix. Attached are his pics. I cannot see a gap in the venting. Any other ideas? Thanks!

• Stax
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You don't see the duct detached from the unit in the middle photo?

Thanks Jimmy. Saying it multiple times doesn't change fact that it is wrong. lol

flopsycat1 thanked Stax
  • flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, @Stax! Yup, I see it!

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

That is where it needs to be repaired at. Tell him to check his attic too, and make sure it is vented out the roof, so when it is repaired, it actually goes out where it is supposed to go.

flopsycat1 thanked cat_ky
  • flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Crazy, he is certain that is not a hole, just a reflection. He will try to hunt down the inspector to get the answer.

Thanks to all who posted helpful suggestions!

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

When I removed a vented over the stove microwave, I discovered pristine, like new vent duct. When the microwave was installed, whoever installed it didn't remove the baffle plate that would have allowed the fan to vent to the exterior.

So all of the expense and labor to install the venting was for nothing.

Mentioning this because it could well be the problem with your son's microwave.

flopsycat1 thanked ci_lantro
  • flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much, @ci_lantro! I thought of that too, and will certainly forward your comments to him.

• flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Inspector now says that ductwork is fine, but unit was installed in recirculation mode!

• flopsycat1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@User Thats our plan! Lots of good video tutorials available. Plenty of house projects for now, so a vent hood will have to wait. Thanks for your response.

• User
    3 years ago

My GE installation manual called it a damper.

I googled the installation instructions for a Whirlpool; it was called a damper.

flopsycat1 thanked User
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Ah, thanks, Jim. MW was existing to the house; I didn't have an instruction manual. Since the MW was getting tossed, I wouldn't have read it if I had one!

Damper/ Baffle--Whirlpool seems to recognize both terms.

https://www.whirlpoolparts.com/Shop-For-Parts/a6b5i1877/Whirlpool-Microwave-Air-Baffle-Parts

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Flopsycat, another idjit installer like mine was!