Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vijay_zone_7a

Is this Pin oak planted too high?

vijay_zone_7a
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So, I got this 10' plus tree in fall, planted it a couple of weeks ago, after I removed the dirt down to the bottom of the root flare. A little more than an inch of the flare is showing, any major root is just below grade. Is it too high? I'm afraid it's going to send surface roots all over the veggie garden, on the edge of which it sits. Soil is heavily clayey. Caliper is prob an inch or under. I'm somehow not satisfied. Appreciate any advice.

Comments (10)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

It's hard to plant too high. And seldom a bad thing :-) The advantages well outweigh any disadvantages. As long as you have a layer of soil over any feeder roots, you are fine. And of course, mulch.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

After it dries a bit loosen the surface compaction visible around the tree in your picture and cover it with a protective mulch. Use boards or plywood sheets to stand on the soil without causing additional compaction while working. And don't of course maul the roots while doing the loosening.

• Therese N
    3 years ago

You’re probably seeing the mulch line.

vijay_zone_7a thanked Therese N
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

Any negative effect your very young tree has on your vegetable garden will only get worse as the tree gets bigger.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

root depth should be genetic ... not based on how it was planted ...

being a hardcore hosta peep ... trust me when i say oak has some of the best roots to work under ... you couldnt have made a better tree choice.. imo ...

i dont know if its a camera trick.. but the only thing that concerns me.. is that its not plumb ... if it leaning.. that can be fixed rather easy.. let us know ...

planting depth looks perfect ...

tree time is counted in decades ... not being satisfied with an oak you planted a few weeks ago .. is way premature ... water it properly for 2 years .. and worry about it in 30 or 50 years ... should you both live that long ....

and just to be clear .. other than leaf out.. and grow a few inches.. it isnt going to do much else .. in the year of transplant .. so tamp down any expectations you have in that regard ....

looks kind of tall for that trunk diameter ... it might need to be staked properly ... depending on the fence.. and usual wind patterns ... give us a pic of the whole tree ... if you want opinion on that ...

ken

• vijay_zone_7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all, esp Ken for anticipating my concerns and why I chose this tree to plant at the edge of the veggie garden. I wanted some tall shade for my house, garden, japanese maples that could benefit from shade. I also believe it will be beneficial for my veggie garden, maybe loosen up the soil a bit. And yes, it is not plumb, I will gently fix that. Also thanks all for setting right my expectations!

The whole patch will be mulched.

• callirhoe123
    3 years ago

Vegetables want full sun. The pin oak grows quickly and will shade out the entire vegetable garden. They can grow to 70' tall and 40' wide.

• vijay_zone_7a
    Original Author
    3 years ago

True callirhoe123 - but, I can push it a bit higher, so shade falls further away. Also, from experience, blazing sun (as my veggie gets during peak summer) is not great for certain plants.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

In the meantime you are in for a long wait before the tree is shading a very much larger area that it is right now - any plants that need more protection effective immediately (as in starting this year) will need to have other arrangements made.

• callirhoe123
    3 years ago

Also, its roots will take water and nutrients from the garden. And the lower limbs will continually die off and have to be removed.