Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrlewis81

Livingroom Interior Design Help

Nan Smith
2 years ago

We are refreshing/redecorating our formal living room - we found we never use the formal living room and want to create a more casual "living room/great room". I am struggling with the TV placement and going back in forth between a Entertainment Center v. built in. I am concerned that a piece of furniture that will fit a large TV (over 55") will overwhelm the room so I lean toward built in or shelving that will create a unified look without overwhelming the space but the wall is between two doorways so not sure built in will work. I don't know where to begin with a built in considerations- my carpenter/contractor said he can build what ever I want but isn't that helpful in terms of suggestions that will work for the space. Attached are SW generated rendering of the redecorated room with a entertainment center - also attached are some inspiration photos. Advice, thought greatly appreciated - where to go for help--greatly appreciated.

Comments (17)

• calidesign
    2 years ago

If you would use the shelves for your collections or something in particular, I think you can build shallow ones around the doorways. But you could also just build in lower cabinets or use a long console table with the TV mounted on the wall. If you like the ability to close the doors and not see the TV, you could also build your first mockup but without the two side shelves, with just the closed tv area above the lowers.

Nan Smith thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Why a built in at ALL? With so many media consoles available ( Have him build THAT, instead )..........I would not. Draw the room on a piece of paper with all dimensions. Windows opening etc. Define your uses for the space, ( desk ) as well. Tv's are no longer a hideous thing, you can turn it to ART with an app on the phone : )

85 inches of it.......it doesn't need doo dads and the expense of a limiting built in., especially when 55 inches is now the equivalent of the lowly bedroom tv......

Nan Smith thanked JAN MOYER
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I think there’s a lot going on. And first of all would want to see a pic of the space currently.
    Second If you want built ins I’d minimize the design. Something less protruding and nothing on the right of the right doorway.

• Nan Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is the reason I am leaning toward built ins because it can be built such that it is simple and less protruding - I was thinking of maybe just floor to ceiling book shelf with large open space in the middle for TV - similar to the design in the last inspiration photo - where the TV wall is painted blue (but without the bottom drawer cabinets). Here are some pictures of the space currently.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Pull the two checked armchairs to the foreground - OPPOSITE !! the loveseat. Buy a nice console IN YOUR STYLE. HANG THE TV: ) You have no need for more than that other than doo dads........right?

Pull them to foreground........

96 x 20 deep and a lot less than a built in you really do not need : ) Put the flat screen above, no wires........components belwow via an ir repeater. Done. You already have a book case.....and this isn;'t the best room for another tall anything........even considering you lovely traditional style.

https://www.kathykuohome.com/Product/Detail/69291-Margot-French-Country-White-Wash-Pine-Door-Sideboard-Large/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping_feed&utm_content=free_google_shopping_clicks

Nan Smith thanked JAN MOYER
  • Nan Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Jan - we plan to redecorate - replacing the sofa and loveseat with a sectional and moving toward a more transitional style that traditional (not too crazy though) - I want a TV in the room but I still struggle with leaving the TV out all the time. My thinking was a piece of furniture or built in with a door that could be closed off when we want a more traditional living room would be a good solution - but a entertainment center seems too massive -that is why I was leaning built in.

• calidesign
    2 years ago

If you want some sort of built in you can certainly do that. I'd look at a design that has shallow edges surrounding the tv so you don't see the tv back from the side views, but it doesn't become too bulky encroaching into the room. You probably don't need actual doors on the unit, which would add to bulk, because tv's are so simple now and look okay on their own. You could put shallow shelving below, or closed storage.

Contemporary and Cozy · More Info

Taylors · More Info

• Nan Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is a good idea to put the shallow edges around the TV - I am leaning toward the built in to keep the scale low profile - now have to determine if built in should go right up the the edge of each opening or something narrower like the Contemporary and Cozy picture you attached.

• grapefruit1_ar
    2 years ago

I love your current room! It is very tasteful and so much nicer than the boring cream/gray/ white everywhere. I would do as Jan suggested and just incorporate a TV on a stand. It really is a lovely room!

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I think you can go door to door on the bottom, but I would just surround the tv on top.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

I like your inspiration pic but would keep the two blue buffalo check chairs and foot stool and use a reversible chaise sofa instead of a sectional. Only one built-in though; not the other two free standing bookcases.

Mill Valley Family Home · More Info

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

I'd love to see the family room and dining room in this home. ..........yes?

Often, people are conflicted with regard to a goal for a space. Surrounding a TV with a built in, hiding it behind doors, is a concept long "sailed" . We watch tv . Nearly everyone does. Mirror tv's, those that can become "art" or a family photo with a tap on the phone satisfy the big black hole problem. Tv's today don't need to "hide"

If the goal here is to turn a lovely "museum" into an often enjoyed space ? It need not include a built in choking two entry points to DO that and very attractively by the way.

I asked about the other spaces. . Throw me a bone. : )

I could reach into the existing space, relax it, take the existing tasteful and lovely and make you want to hang around for quite a while.

Ditch the sweet valances for simple lovely curtains ON SLIM RODS/rings

Trade the cherry end tables for an update, ........new lampshade on the lamp

Say goodbye to the tall book case. TATA

A larger rug, and one with a bit less formal feel.

A couple of comfy chairs to replace the darling blue check

ART........lower, LARGER. ...........yes lower and larger. BY A LOT.

There's more......and all of it less $$$$$$ than a clunky built in. JMHO.

Lovely and languishing spaces exist everywhere. You just need to omit the "languish."

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Truth? Human nature often sends folks to the smallest rooms in a home. Millions of "great rooms" lie in waste as families cuddle in hearth spaces close to a kitchen or small dens...........Add to this the chain reaction effect of even minimal style changes that can make remaining spaces suddenly feel "off" or ( hate the word) "dated" .

As mom said: Be careful what you wish for.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

People gather where the TV is, size of room doesn't matter it's the TV that draws!! The first pic with the doors to hide the TV, I assume--is silly. The doors will never be closed. The current room is sooo much better with COLOR. Your white wash of a room rendering is waaay too stark. That builder's grade base coat color is just soo severe it's tough to see past it! I wasn't a fan the first go round of these couch pits and the current renditions still do nothing for me. My son and new wife purchased one. HATE sitting on it. I agree with above posters. Find a way to freshen, lift the room into this decade w/o removing all you are from it. Stark, minimal, cold, hard edge won't be around long!!!

• PRO
    Angelica Angeli ❤ Interior Design Journalist
    2 years ago

You don't have to do any type of built in. You could just get a long TV console for underneath. Below are a few ideas that might just aid you with this dilemma.

Walking Stick Overlook · More Info

Castle Pines Village · More Info

Vaughan Home Design & Décor · More Info

• Nan Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Angelica, I like the third idea the best, it looks more finished, for some reason I cringe at a TV hanging on the wall without something to surround/finish the look.