Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_445583271

Aisle Space between Island and Countertops

Alison B
2 years ago

Hi Wonderful People,

Thank you, in advance for your input, I appreciate it. We are about to press "go" on our kitchen plans but it has come to my attention that we have what someone called a "pinch zone" in our kitchen design. You can see it in the picture. We don't have enough space between the corner of our entrance wall and where our potential island will begin. I don't really want to make the island thinner but I will consider it. Either way, to fix this, we were thinking of moving the island over 6" towards the stove. This will give us a 36" walkway vs the 42" that we had planned out. I feel like this may not bother me. I am planning to do a lot of prepping on the island and I feel that maybe a closer island might work out. It will remain the 42" on the side where the dishwasher is. I am also wondering if another solution might be to cut back the entrance wall to give more space. (I kind of like the miniature privacy it gave though... I'm not sure. We were also thinking to pull the island further away from the window wall, but maybe more than 42" (48"+) is just too far away? Which idea do you think makes the most sense, from an experienced point of view? Perhaps a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B might do? Or maybe you are about to blow me away with another amazing idea?!!! Haha! I am looking forward to your reading your feedback, thank you.

Comments (21)

• emilyam819
    2 years ago

Definitely cut back the wall if you can. Second best option is to slide the island down (away from the sink, but not closer to the stove).

Alison B thanked emilyam819
  • kempek01
    2 years ago

I would not move the island closer to the stove.

So either shorten the dividing wall (I'd get rid of the broom closet) or shorten the island.

Alison B thanked kempek01
  • millworkman
    2 years ago

Your pinch area will become more like an impossible pass area due to the stool placement if someone is sitting there. Either slide the island down or shorten the stub wall. Looking at it more the island actually becomes a impediment to your work triangle as well as there is no way 2 people can even pass each other on the left side of that island.

Alison B thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Shorten the wing wall, and eliminate the angled upper cabinet...

Alison B thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

No offense, but the entire plan isn't the best. Your fridge is too far from the sink. You've a small kitchen, and it merits a gas RANGE with a single oven.......

Show the existing conditions and your existing floor plan, kitchen and adjacent spaces

Alison B thanked JAN MOYER
  • itsourcasa
    2 years ago

We have our kitchen in the front of the house also and I wanted to make sure we had a designated entryway with 2 walls. I wouldn't cut the wall back all the way, maybe a foot if you needed to, it doesn't have to even up with the other side. Can you move the island over so it's more in front of the fridge? The walkways don't have to be the same all the way around, we have 54" on sides and 48" in front of range. I like the layout but I'd eliminate the double oven and move the cooktop and hood over away from the sink a bit and change the 36" cooktop to a 36" range or 42" range.

Alison B thanked itsourcasa
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

We stick to a standard of 4'-0" clearance between cabinetry and any other element. Smaller than that just doesn't seem to work well.

Alison B thanked Norwood Architects
  • 3onthetree
    2 years ago

The entire wing wall with "Tiny Broom Closet" should be eliminated completely. Not sure what the "Side Closet" is if that's an exterior wall. However, if that is truly the "Front Door" where guests enter, then I would leave a wall to edge of counter.

Also, your island is encroaching the beam above as it is, don't slide it further under the beam. You show end seating ("Seating 12" Overhang" but no stool shown) with "3 Drawers/Shelves" opening into the knees. As it is, the person sitting at the end will feel segregrated because the eye demarcates a space based on what's above - the beam and off-centered pendant.

The ceiling light fixture near the door should be relocated with the entire kitchen lighting in mind.

Alison B thanked 3onthetree
  • Jean
    2 years ago

Could you relocate the pantry somewhere else, then shift the range down? Maybe use full height cabs with pullouts on the right side of the dishwasher for pantry space?

Alison B thanked Jean
  • Alison B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone. @itsourcasa I'm thinking cutting the wall back an amount might be ok. Maybe to the amount @mama goose_gw zn6OH drew there or even a touch more. Only thing is that we "simulated" putting the sink into the island (to get the "work triangle") and it seemed that cooking and doing dishes at the same time would mean our bums would bump into each other and cause congestion. Especially with the dishwasher (since it needs to be beside the sink). If the dishwasher is in the aisle with the oven and stove, it just seemed like it would be a problem. My thoughts were that I could just take out what I need from the fridge (when cooking) and put it on the counter. Under the cooktop I wanted to have spices and oils etc. as well as pots and pans in pull-out in drawers, for easy access. (I've also been considering whether or not a pot-filler might be worth getting). Also someone had mentioned to me that when other people want to grab something from the fridge they won't really have to encroach upon my cooking zone, when I'm in there. @JAN MOYER (I can't put the fridge closer because of the HVAC and this was the solution we came up with). Let me know your thoughts. It comes out a few inches. I felt that I would lose a lot of counter space if I moved the fridge in closer inside.. @HALLETT & Co. How would you suggest doing the upper cabinet, just to make one straight across? Which wall do you think is better? Or are you saying to just not have one? I was thinking to have that corner cabinet with a glass door and to put a light inside to hold my large cake stand and nicer glass items etc. in there. What is your thoughts on that? @3onthetree Where would you suggest/recommend putting the entrance light? @Norwood Architects That helps to know that 48" is not too far away. @millworkman & @kempek01 I might consider shortening the island 6" then. @emilyam819 Based on what you all our saying: Do you guys think that cutting the wall 6" more and shrinking the island 6" down would give that pinch area enough space? I want to fit 4 chairs though so maybe I might add 3" out further past the beam? Mmmm maybe that's a bad idea... (awkward facial expression).

• Alison B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks @Jean that's a really good idea to put the pantry beside the dishwasher. The reason why I put the pantry there is because it is actually in front of where they plan on putting the HVAC and plumping. So the pantry is actually shallower than it might appear. the fridge would stick out like crazy if it went there. I'm not really sure where else to put the HVAC. It is potentially possible to move the HVAC. Maybe then we could swap the pantry and fridge locations, since nothing is in stone yet. Do you think that is a better way? I like the idea of people going to get stuff from the fridge without bothering me in the aisle, haha.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER (I can't put the fridge closer because of the HVAC and this was the solution we came up with). Let me know your thoughts. It comes out a few inches. I felt that I would lose a lot of counter space if I moved the fridge in closer inside.."

Cut the stub wall back in total, GET A 36 inch RANGE ( not a cook top ) ...........lose the double ovens, get the fridge. counter depth.

You are asking too much of the space.

Get a PRO kd on your site. : )

Alison B thanked JAN MOYER
  • Alison B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JAN MOYER I think you are right. I think we will just get rid of the entire wall. "Stub wall" hahaha such a funny way to say it. I'm going to think this through, thanks everyone for helping me just talk this out.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

My previous kitchen had this layout with a range instead of a cooktop and ovens, so I speak from experience when I say put a prep sink in the island. Keep the cleanup sink on the wall where you have it. Believe me, it will be super functional having those two areas separate. It was my one wish in my previous kitchen.

Alison B thanked anj_p
  • Jean
    2 years ago

Ask the HVAC folks what other options there are. I have seen them do some amazing things.

Alison B thanked Jean
  • lucky998877
    2 years ago

Yes to the prep sink...like anj-p and Mama Goose said, and you said it yourself "will be doing a lot of prepping on the island". I went from a kitchen that had barely 36" aisles...less after the countertops stuck out, and 1 sink....to 48" between counters and 2 sinks. It seriously feels like I went from a row boat to a yacht. Our family of 6 can pass each other, be doing different tasks at the same time, no lining up at the sink etc. Function is so important if you really use the kitchen.

Alison B thanked lucky998877
  • Alison B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

!! Okay, thanks guys this is very helpful! Especially knowing that you have a family of 6. So @anj_p & @lucky998877 how big were and where did you have the prep sink? Was it closer to the corner where the stove is? I will look again, at some example-photos on here. Do you think a pot filler would reduce the need for another sink?

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

My prep sink measures (inside) 13"x16.5"...so probably a 15" sink by description. It's plenty with another larger main sink...mine is located closer to the fridge end of my island. And, I have a pot filler also :)

Alison B thanked lucky998877
  • houssaon
    2 years ago

I think the prep sink is used to wash raw food, so a pot filler would not do. Having a prep sink is a good idea. The other sink is for cleanup.

Alison B thanked houssaon
  • anj_p
    2 years ago

A pot filler of awesome but no substitute for a prep sink. A prep sink is for washing your food, washing your hands, rinsing your knives etc. while you cook. It means you would never need to walk to the wall sink while you cook, reducing your cooking area by a ton. You probably don't think it's too far, but believe me, I got really tired of walking back and forth.
    I didn't have a prep sink...I would have LOVED to have one. My island was also not quite big enough for one (my kitchen was a U, not an L, so I had an aisle and another row of cabinets that cut some space from my island).