Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niket_aggarwal

Need help with sprucing up a living room!

Niket Aggarwal
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I am looking for some design tips to help make the room in the picture more lively. I am making some changes so need advice on what would work with the new setup.

Change 1: Changing the floor stain - I am changing the hardwood stain to light natural-greyish tone. The current color is very dark.

Change 2: Changing the accent wall. The current accent wall is the TV wall. I am changing the accent wall to be behind the couch since I would like to add a collection of my photography. So all other walls will become the greyish white tone and the new accent wall would be a navy-greenish color.

Change 3: Barstools will be changed to a tan color again to go better with the new floor.

Change 4. The dining table will be re-stained to a lighter tone.

I would appreciate advice on other ideas to make this living room more lively. In particular I would like to add a chandelier in the room as well as would like advice on whether there should be a rug underneath the dining given the dimensions of the room. Any other advice to make this room even prettier would be helpful too! Just one note, I am not too keen on moving the stuff around since this placement of furniture really maximizes the area but if somebody thinks there is better way to do this then would love to hear that too!

Thank You all the great people on this forum for helping out!

Comments (7)

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    2 years ago

This photo is of your home?

• Niket Aggarwal
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Yes we went under contract recently and that's how the room was furnished.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Move in and live there for a bit before you begin to make changes. I can't say that any of the new ideas seem better than what is existing.

• rustynail
    2 years ago

I don’t have any suggestions. I think it’s great as is!

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I wouldn’t change much. I would enhance it. What you have already is nice. And expensive looking stuff. The stain color on the floor is very nice. I would not bring in grays. I agree to change the barstools. And I would consider a rug. Try one out. I would add a light fixture in the living space. Maybe a circular lantern style wheel light.
    Overall LOVELY! well designed space!!

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    2 years ago

I would not put a rug under the dining table. A rug under the dining table would mean you would have more cleanup, unless everyone in your family or everyone coming over is a neat freak. A rug under a dining room table at my place would last a very short time. Another problem with a rug under the dining room table is that it would chop the room up more. Ideally, the room goal should be unification and cohesiveness. When someone says they're trying to make a place more lively, that to me means a lot more color. I'm seeing mostly lights and darks. Please specify what you mean when you say more lively, so we know exactly what you mean. I would add a lot of bright red accents in accessories, but that's me. Currently I see a lot of dark and light. Depending on the light, the only medium tones I see are in the couch, the screen, and the dining table. You may want to find an online place to do your redecorating so you can see what it will look like before you do anything. Perhaps adding more mid tones and texture will liven up this space. Certain colors will show up dark - like bright red, royal blue, forest green. Light to median gray will show up as a mid tone. Your tan will show up as a mid tone. Your navy-green will show up as a dark color. Just be aware of that as you go forward. If you are interested in mobiles, that will add color and movement (and a conversation piece) to your space. Just be sure to put it somewhere where people won't bump their heads.

• partim
    2 years ago

Be aware that if the TV will be on a light-coloured wall, it will "pop" in prominence in the room. Against the dark background it is less noticeable.

How are you going to make your floor lighter? Can all the dark stain be sanded off and re-stained light?