Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieste

US favors undermount sink; other areas like top mount (less chips)

julieste
2 years ago

I've been reading about kitchen sinks here and have also been reading the Australian Houzz forum. There are differences of opinion on this topic depending on the area of the world one lives in.

Here in the US it seems that if one wants to be in style, one has to install an undermount sink. As far as I can tell, the primary reasons are the aesthetics and the ease of sweeping crumbs directly into the sink.

Other areas of the world seem to think a top mount is preferable because it protects the edges of the counters surrounding the sink opening from chipping. Plus, people talk a lot about the gunk that can collect in the area between the counter and the undermounted sink.

In reality, how much edge chipping risk is there with an undermounted sink? I am about 95% certain I will use Carrara marble.

Top mounted sinks don't esthetically offend me, and I'd be fine with one. Plus I have never had an issue with gunk around the edges of a top mount which is something so many people here seem to comment on. I guess I need to add in that I have done tons of international travel and know first-hand that what is popular or considered normal in the US often isn't regarded that way in the rest of the world.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

I did have a few chips in my last counter (Carrara) but that would not convince me to have a top mount sink... I've had undermount for twenty years except a couple temporary apartments...

• Nancy K
    2 years ago

I got tired of chips around the sink so we are putting a top mount in the new kitchen. i actually prefer the look too.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've had undermount sinks for 25 years in different kitchens. As to the gunk - you need to read up on sink reveals. I've had zero reveals always. No gunk. Not one chip in the counters. But they weren't Carrara marble. Carrara marble chips easily - it can just as easily chip anywhere as it can at the sink. So that's your decision to get a chip-prone counter surface. To pair an expensive and beautiful stone like Carrara with a top mount sink is an aesthetic crime IMO. Glad you've done a lot of international travel; get your top-mount sink and be happy with it.

• jill302
    2 years ago

Can not answer to marble but I have not had a problem with granite chips. Two houses, both kitchens are about 17 years old and no chips around the sink.

As far as the dirt/crud, same as wiping around the edge top mount sink just wipe the underside and you should be fine. My bathroom sinks are top mount and they are not any easier to keep clean.

The only possible disadvantage I can see with an undermount is it is not easy to change out the sink if needed for some reason. Never have had a reason to need to make a change though.

• User
    2 years ago

Round over the sink profile. Problem solved. 99.9% who have undermount would never go back.

• julieste
    Original Author
    2 years ago

"Round over the sink profile." What does this mean?

It's good to hear all of the different perspectives. Please keep them coming.

I guess I should add in that in another kitchen I already have carrara, but it's on a lesser used counter rather than on a sink counter so have never questioned the chipping factor. I do have an undermount bathroom sink in a carrara counter.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"The only possible disadvantage I can see with an undermount is it is not easy to change out the sink if needed for some reason."

We change undermount sinks in less than two hours, plumbing included.

"Round over the sink profile." What does this mean?"

When you make a sink cutout, you have a sharp 90* corner at the top. That corner can get slightly rounded, a "pencil" edge which I highly discourage. The more rounded the edge profile, the less likely the edge is to chip.

If you prefer a sharper edge with minimal chipping, I'd suggest a TopZero sink.

And while an undermount sink edge may chip, that's repairable; a dent in a top mount is not.

• Nancy K
    2 years ago

We use lots of big heavy cast iron pots and the husband (bull in China shop) does the dishes. Not a good combo for under mount sink and granite. Some of the newer top mounts look very flush with the counter.

• H202
    2 years ago

Where I've had chips around the edge of my sink, it means I've also had chips elsewhere on my counter. So if this is your concern, pick another countertop material.

• Nancy K
    2 years ago

I have had granite for 15 years and lots of counter space. There are no chips except around the under mount sink. I wanted a top mount stainless steel apron front at the new house to avoid chipping and be able to switch out the sink if necessary. This may not be a problem if we would stop using cast iron and my husband stopped doing the dishes, however I want both of these things to continue.

• User
    2 years ago

Denser stones chip less. The trend to light and porous stones that are not really granite has made chipping much more common. You could rebuild a car engine on Uba Tuba, and it would never chip or stain. But it’s no longer popular. People want diva countertops, and get upset that they act like divas.

• smit2380
    2 years ago

We have had an under mount sink and granite counters for 7 years and have only had one easily repaired chip.

• chiflipper
    2 years ago

@Shannon_WI - "To pair an expensive and beautiful stone like Carrara with a top mount sink is an aesthetic crime IMO." Just thinking about seeing that makes me cringe!

• Nancy K
    2 years ago

So does this look “appalling“?

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@Nancy K - appalling, no. Much less pretty than it could have been, yes.

• Anne Duke
    2 years ago

I see nothing unattractive with Nancy’s sink, but it is a farmhouse style. SS standard sink would be different IMO. Oddly, after 8 years my Cafe Crème granite isn’t chipped around the sink, but a dropped mug chipped the eased edge of where I sit reading my iPad and taking a plate out of the dishwasher took a chip out of the edge above it.

• chinacatpeekin
    2 years ago

The Topzero is very interesting; I’ve not heard if it before reading this thread. It appears to be a great product.

• Fori
    2 years ago

There are advantages and disadvantages to everything. Trends are often stupid and should not outweigh personal preferences.

I grew up where cat iron sinks undermounted into a TILE counter were normal (and to me, that's the best LOOK). If you went to less expensive homes, you'd fine laminate with topmounted stainless steel sinks. Occasionally you'd find a topmounted cast iron sink in a tile counter and those were the worst of all worlds. Integrated Corian sinks are extra sweet.

My preference is a stainless sink welded into a stainless counter--the counter and sink can't chip and dishes are less likely to chip. I break stuff.

• RCKsinks Inc
    2 years ago

Interesting you brought this up. I have shipped a few sinks to Australia..Sydney actually, and they have all been top mounts

Your quite right about the cultural differences. I found that many people in the UK actually do not rinse their dishes after washing..allowing them to air dry as is in the rack. Good luck on your project!

• Nancy K
    2 years ago

Anne Duke - Great point about the drop in farmhouse sinks being better than the other type. I agree. Also, some sit more flush than others.

Fori - Great point on trends and such. I have looked at an ugly chip on the edge of my sink for last five years and wanted to avoid that if possible. We are building in a very rural area and there is no chip doctor to come and fix it. Lucky I even got countertops.

Shannon - Thanks for revising your original comment. It did come through on my email. We all have different tastes.

• julieste
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm still researching and found a sink I am considering. And, the photos are of the sink set into a marble countertop.

Here is the same sink set as both a topmount and an undermount. If I get this though only the topmount comes in the 60/40 configuration I want. The undermount is only a 50/50 split.

I am posting this mainly to illustrate the differences between the different types of installs. The topmount is one of the lower profile ones mentioned above. Curious what people think about the looks of these. To my eye, either is an acceptable look. And, I keep remining myself that I am looking for a functional kitchen that also looks attractive. It will be used for real cooking.

Ruvati 33 x 22 inch Workstation Drop-in 60/40 Double Bowl Topmount Tight Radius · More Info

Ruvati RVH8350 33-inch Workstation Ledge 50/50 Double Bowl Undermount 16 Gauge S · More Info

• Nancy K
    2 years ago

julieste - IMO both sinks look great. I am a “top mount” convert due to past experience with chips. Good luck with your decision!

julieste thanked Nancy K
  • M Miller
    2 months ago

@HU-429588733 thanks for the laugh!^^

🤣

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm