Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelley889

Color for my front door

Kelley Best
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, I would like to paint my front door a black/navy color, I want to stay away from any color that will look like a "cottage" or "vintage" style... Is anyone familiar with "Inkwell" from Sherwin Williams? I am thinking either that or Hale Navy, Benjamin Moore. I am also "considering" painting our old ugly brown shutters (not pictured) the same color as the door and putting them back up... The brick is more pinkish/reddish then it appears in the photo,... any thoughts are appreciated! (And yes, I will be getting flowers and plants for the porch soon! haha) I just redid my landscaping an working on it!

Comments (21)

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I think black or navy would be really nice with the brick.
    Sample a few choices next to the brick and see what you like best.
    Shutters:
    I think they’d look nice on the windows on the left side of the house.
    The single ones.
    But they’re not totally necessary

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, I took them off a few years ago and the "Houzzers" all liked the house better without, they said they were the wrong size, ect.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Shutters today are mostly ornamental, and not functional. If you like the house better with them, then put them back on. I think black or navy would look good for both the doors and the shutters. Shutters do look better on some homes, and some homes look better without them. Only you can decide if you like them on your house. My last house, needed shutters to look good. The house I have now, has a busier exterior, and shutters were in terrible condition. We took off to replace, and the house just looked better without, so they were never replaced. Your new landscaping looks very nice.

Kelley Best thanked cat_ky
  • User
    2 years ago

I think a strong blue-black would look very nice on your door. Rather than shutters, I would consider doing the window trims in a faintly-brick-bronze-y shade, just to take the edge off the stark white, and then adding window boxes — maybe copper ones — on the right-side double-story windows. They don’t need to be cottage-y.

H Potter Rustic Copper Window Boxes Outdoor Decor, 48" · More Info

When you furnish your porch, maybe get a dark navy outdoor rug but also pick up an oversized more modern welcome mat, just for the front door, with a bold modern design to cancel out the oval of the door if you don’t want a cottage look. (And no wreath) This comes in different colors and sizes

Portico Rug, Flame Stitch, 8'x10'6" · More Info

Kelley Best thanked User
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

I think shutters would look great. If you like them, use them! So many comments that they should be removed if not a specific size, actually functional, etc. They are a design element, just like a pot of flowers :)

I feel like the door color you have suggested will be too dark for your home (sorry!). It's because your door is recessed under a porch... I feel like it will disappear.

Here is a blue that I think would look fab... I realize totally different door, but wanted to show you it on a modern house. Also, a cool blue but not as dark as navy would look wonderful, in my opinion.

Kirkland Residence · More Info

Kelley Best thanked mimimomy
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ital mover- here is a closer picture of my front door rugs (please excuse the mess, there are birds building a nest in the aforementioned wreath!), but my attempt here was a modern rug with navy in it- no good?

Also, I never thought of window boxes- not sure what I would keep in them during the colder months (which are more then less in PA!) :)

Thanks for your suggestions!

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mimimommy- thank you for your suggestions! I have been ordering samples from samplize (which i love versus painting swatches!)...I may have to try a daring blue like this to see how I like it compared to the dark! Also, I have considered replacing my door since it is a little old fashioned (I didn't realize that when I bought it). I would be open to suggestions on a more modern door as well!

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mimimommy, I guess my hesitation with a cool blue was that I am trying to get away from a cottagey of vintage feel- the truth is, I hate the color of my brick,...always have, so am trying different things, like new landscaping, taking off shutters (which were brown, ewww) and improve the curbside appeal. I found this swatch on Pinterst and the modern blue you have shown me intrigues me!

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

You are welcome. So a suggestion if you want to change something on the door.... for some doors, a new (different shape) window can be set into your existing door.

You could have a large (maybe clear) glass window in a long rectangle installed in your existing door (i.e. replace where all the existing "panels" and the oval glass are now).

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I am sorry you do not like your brick :(. I personally find it quite lovely! To update without breaking the bank, you could consider squaring off your columns rather than round. They, to me, are adding the most "traditional" look to your home.

Also, the colonial style driveway light (maybe a brushed nickel or a black more modern looking fixture there?)

Do you have a style you're trying to achieve?

• User
    2 years ago

I think the strong geometric in your welcome rug is the right direction, but the gray disappears into the concrete, so it lessens the impact. You should decide first on the color of your door, so no rush in replacing the rug. I do think once the door is painted it might be nice to have a striking outdoor rug to cover the rest of your furniture area, in addition to a different mat/rug directly in front of your door.

Window boxes certainly do need to be emptied in PA in winter, and if you don’t want to call attention to your brick, then best to skip decorative window boxes. I think your brick is fine but if you don’t like it, just think of it as a quiet backdrop (it’s not an eyesore) for the space you want to project within the framework of your porch. It really can be anything you want, and if you pick furnishings and colors you like a lot, it won’t look cottage-y.

Definitely don’t evict the birds for a sake a “look”. I’m surprised they feel so comfortable around the house that they would build a nest there. Good sign!

Kelley Best thanked User
  • Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

I would leave the shutters off. SW Navel is a beautiful Navy I have used. Modern, not cute. good luck!

Kelley Best thanked Lyn Nielson
  • mimimomy
    2 years ago

Oh, and one more thought... that interior of the porch section... consider siding that. It's a small space and will totally change the look of your house. I had a (different style) house that had a nice porch, and the "interior" of the porch had board and batten siding.

You could paint that any color you like (or vinyl it) and totally change your look :). I'd probably just do the back wall if I made this type of change.

Sabrina Alfin Interiors suggested this deep midnight blue to someone in another thread. Offered for color/siding, not style :). I LOVE this color! Do you?

"The siding is from Georgia Pacific, the color is Compass Shadow."

Ridgeriver · More Info

• User
    2 years ago

Don’t know what color your front door will eventually be, but I think I would pick a rug and furniture like this to enjoy my front porch

Rug

7.5' x 9.5' Green and Brown Contemporary Coral Rectangular Outdoor Area Throw · More Info

2 of these chairs

Leisuremod Modern Asbury Dining Chair With Chromed Legs AC16W · More Info

Flash Furniture 30'' Round Sky Blue Indoor-Outdoor Steel Folding Patio Table · More Info

and get new black and white striped pillow covers for the existing couch. If the neighbors aren’t really conservative, and if I got too much sun on the porch, I’d hang these curtains but swag them so they swooped and draped from right to left on the far side of the porch away from the door

Escape Stripe Grommet Curtain Panel 54 x 96 in Blue · More Info

;)

Kelley Best thanked User
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

At some point you might consider a different style door with glass that mimics your windows. For example, something similar to this with 6 lites.

Another color that can look nice with your brick is Benjamin Moore's Tarrytown Green. A white door is also nice in your case since the door is recessed in some shadows.

This is Tarrytwon Green with brick. You can see how the glass in the door also fits nicely with the windows.

Kelley Best thanked chloebud
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

mimimomy, When we build our Ryan Home, our HOA standards were all brick fronts...then, of course, Ryan left and the custom builders came in and didn't abide by the guidelines (which no one actually enforces anyway!)- and now there are all these beautiful modern homes with both siding and brick or stone fronts. I never thought of adding siding to the front of the house, I like that blue but not sure it would go with my other siding (which I also don't like) which is like a cream color. :( I think for now I am interested in updating the door and possibly trim color, and porch and go from there! I love the idea of updating the lights too and want to add landscaping lights once I figure out what I want! I also like the idea of updating the hardward on the door. I am not sure how I would go about adding rectangular glass to the front door, (something a general contractor would do?) but I do like the idea- depending on the price!

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Chloe bud, yes, I have thought about switching out to a door with square windows and will look into it! While the color you sent is really pretty, I don't think I want to go toward green- I am more into blues/grays or black (my roof is black). My husband thinks the white is fine, but i am so bored by the exterior of my house and painting the door seemed like a quick fix! :)

• Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just found this inspirational picture from the SW website, using the color inkwell (that i was already looking at). maybe do the trim (around the windows) the same color, or something mildly darker?

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Kelley, I think the Inkwell would look nice with your brick and roof. I always tell myself it's just a door and can be repainted. We have brick in front and our house is set back from the street. The door's recessed so white is what works best for us. Who knows, that might change one of these days.

Kelley Best thanked chloebud
  • Kelley Best
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Or what about an iron door?

Classica Wrought Iron Door With 6" Jamb, Matte Black, 39"x81', Right Hand · More Info