Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiehermiller

Help! - Custom stain for quarter sawn white oak

katiehermiller
2 years ago

Can anyone help with a custom stain for quarter sawn white oak cabinets. Our cabinets are custom made and the stain is custom mixed. We are trying to keep the natural look of the wood and the brown tones. A white wash is looking pink next to our white oak floors. A clear coat is looking more yellow. I have seen a lot of photos on Instagram but no one will share how they custom stained them. I have attached photos of our flooring, countertop, and the sample stain. I have also attached a photo of a Studio Mcgee kitchen I love. Thanks

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO no stain would be the best choice and white oak should not look yellow so maybe your lighting needs to be changed . What does the clear finish look like if you take it outside . IMO change the lighting to LEDs 4000K then see what finish you like, IMO the same as the floors would be the best choice.

• Bret Nielsen
    2 years ago

I am going to go against what Patricia said. I am currently building a house and also wanted the look from studio McGee. Our cabinets were delivered yesterday.

We looked at doing just a clear finish and it came out looking too orange as that is the under tone of white oak. It remained orange looking both inside and outside especial when we had floor samples next to it. We were also told that the orange color could get stronger as the cabinets age as well. We ended up with a stain color called antique white which stripped the orange out.

• Ryan Danielson
    2 years ago

Bret, where did you get the stain you are referencing? Thanks!

• jdesign_gw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would imagine the cabinets in the photo have been bleached first. Getting that finish right can be tricky. People try different things like adding white tinit to the clear. All yeild varing results. Expericance and the right product is what it takes. We sell custom doors so we dont go around telling others about our process. Here is an example next to a typicaly oak finish which is better than most but still not as natural looking as what we do.

• Bret Nielsen
    2 years ago

The stain we used was one of the options that our cabinet installer had. I am not sure if it has a brand name or if it is a custom mix that they have made themselves.

• HU-161159613
    2 years ago

I love your floors. Could you tell me what brand and color they are? Thanks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I've worked with a lot of white oak.

I even matched a piece of it to match my flooring (that we put on the ceiling around the skylight. ) I had to use white oak trim around the skylight and needed to match it to the flooring. similar to yours

I think it's pretty darn close!

I used General Finishes stains and played around w/custom mixing a few colors.

To cancel out the pink in your wood, I'd go w/more of a green base, or ash color.

Who is the finisher on these cabinets? I'm surprised he can't come up w/a custom stain to work w/those floors. That's his job, no?

• katiehermiller
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HU, I'll attach the photos of the floor sample and an in progress photo. We were able to order it back in February under a promotional price.

I also appreciate all the other comments on my post. Cabinets are getting installed this week, so we are anxious to see it all come together.

• dcfixerupper
    2 years ago

@katiehermiller - what stain did you end up using? can you post pics of your cabinets? my cabinet maker is asking me about stains now....

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations