Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_249665509

What color should I paint or limewash my in-laws home?

Kayla Huhn
2 years ago

Need help choosing a paint color for orange brick with an orange/red roof. The brick is very orange and could use a fresh look. We will be adding shutters and flower boxes and are open to color suggestions there too.

thank you!

Comments (12)

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

The house is very cute. I wouldnt do anything to the brick, it looks very nice and is maintenance free. I would however change the color of the siding, to a color in the brick, or even close to the brick color. Right now, that garage looks totally out of place. A few small sized tree in the front yard would look good too.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

You don't need to change anything on this classic ranch. No to shutters; the windows are not right for them. Flower boxes are a maintenance commitment.

The only thing I would do is get rid of the grass and weeds growing in the concrete and paint the front door a deep sunny yellow. An ornamental tree out in the yard would also be an enhancement.

I think the old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Jennifer Havin
    2 years ago

this green looks great with that color brick. I wouldn't paint the brick

and agree there isn't room for shutters

maybe change light fixtures and spruce up the landscaping

Poppleton Park, Birmingham, MI Exterior Makeover · More Info

• threers
    2 years ago

Agree with all comments above.....especially the suggestions to add trees to the front lawn. Trees always add value; help shade and cool house in the summer in warm climates. Visit a local gardening center to learn about appropriate choice of trees in your area and appropriate size of tree for your space. Do this now and the trees can grow as you consider other options for the house itself.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

Repaint siding and garage door a warm taupe as below.

Hampton Landscaping · More Info

Paint the front door a different color. These smaller changes will make the roof and brick will look a lot less orange.

Create a planting bed island with shrubs, grasses, and perennials on the lawn instead of window boxes.

Traditional Front Landscape - Germantown, WI · More Info

• Kayla Huhn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for the great suggestions. If I were to paint the siding the only color I see in these bricks are orange, not sure painting the siding would give it a fresh look. The initial photo I posted was from google maps I assume around 2008ish. No weeds in the drive and the garden is all torn out and is our next project. Any recommendations with the garden would be helpful.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Gray is always a nice contrast with the orange/red brick. I would keep the trim white. Shutters are not the right accent for these windows, but a wall pergola over the garage door would be a nice accent instead. The lanterns on the house are too small. Look for something about 16" in height.

I would add windows to the garage door also for more texture.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would select a color between the white trim and orange brick, something similar to a mushroom color. I would then update your light fixtures to something black and larger in scale. Then, update the landscaping.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Just sharing some inspiration (I hope). These first two links are red brick examples, but I think can still apply to orange tones:

https://thecolorconcierge.com/color-palettes-red-brick/

https://thecolorconcierge.com/best-exterior-paint-colors-red-brick-homes/

Color ideas:

https://www.younghouselove.com/frans-color-conundrum/

A nice green:

Darker:

There are so many options that could look great. I’m not a fan of painted or limewashed brick except in rare cases, but if you go that route I’d hire a pro for it.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

Oh, love the trellis idea above!

• chloebud
    2 years ago

You could also use a color that blends with the mortar in the bricks. Definitely no shutters due to the size and style of the windows. Agree with windows for the garage door.

• Kayla Huhn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for these wonderful suggestions! I appreciate each and everyone of you for all the great advice.