Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
416er

How to make this craftsman remodel pop?

XXX YYY
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Remodeling a home to take it to 3k sqft and am interested in making it either craftsman or modern craftsman. This is my first rendering of the exterior (front view). I'm looking for ideas or ways that I can make this look not so generic without a/ breaking the b/ changing the overall look (no third stories). The window on the right (first floor) is an office as the kitchen/livingroom/dining room is in the back of the house. The window above the front door is non-functional as behind the front door (and to the right a bit) is the stairs, so there is no 2nd floor right above the front door.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

I suppose a side load garage won’t be possible? A good quality attractive garage door, and attention to the classic ganged Craftsman fenestration pattern, with muntins for the uppers would go a long way to amping this up without venturing too far into pastiche.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

The front load garage and the windows are NOT craftsman.

The lack of a larger front porch makes it not craftsman.

Adding some craftsman columns and knee braces does not make it craftsman. it just makes it look like a builder's idea of craftsman.

What does the house look like now and what do the floor plans look like because you can't design an exterior in a vacuum. What happens on the inside influences the exterior.

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

What you show above looks like a remodel designed from the inside without considering the exterior.

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've attached a bit of an outdated (columns are generic) version of the house. I'm limited at what I can do as we're not changing the foundation and the property is "pie shaped" with the front right side (facing the street) angles in. The house was originally built in the 1960s and has an awful layout so we're looking to take it down to the subfloor and then build up from there. Even if I took it down to dirt, I can't move the foundation much. I am pulling the front right part of the house forward to have a bigger sqft. (The original house only has a second floor on the left side).

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

As a minimum, you need a larger porch. Rethink windows too. Here is portions of a description of a Craftsman design features exterior and interior. You have work to do to reach your goals.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Again show the floor plan as it is now and as you're intending it to become.

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

First and second floors. Due to the size of the lot, I can't change the shape of the foundation much, I am pulling out the front of the house to be closer to the street and aligned with the garage. Today that front wall is set back from the garage about 25ft. This buys me quite a bit of space inside the house. The sides and back walls/foundation aren't moving.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

We have a 25' setback requirement here, so check on that. Might not be able to do that.

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I've verified that the setback requirements (from sidewalk and side border) have been met.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

If I were called out to quote a project like this, the first thing I‘d want to know is the local regulations about the % of home being touched vs the existing structure being grandfathered under older building codes. In many locations, your scope is large enough to make you come up to current code compliance remodeling for the entire structure.

The second thing I‘d want to know are the regulations about doing a teardown vs a remodel. Have the setbacks changed? Are there advantages to leaving one wall and calling it a remodel? or is it the reverse, and there are advantages to scrape it off and start over?

The third thing is, the risk of unknowns that negatively impact costs is very high on sequentially remodeled old house. I‘d want to be able to do some paid demolition work to inspect if some things were possible, or to even give a true estimate.

Fourth, I‘d probably pass on this as a remodel project. The current market risks are too great to give solid numbers without an escape clause costing the homeowner even more money, on top of a project that is likely to be more expensive than a new build to start with. .

Remodels like this are always pretty unsatisfying to be a part of without a truly healthy budget. Homeowners are never happy that 30K goes towards an invisible fix of a termite infestation and rotten sill plate, rather than towards the new custom cabinets. As a teardown and rebuild, yes, that would garner more interest. It would also likely get you a lot more for your money, in a truly modern built home.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Good points ABC. My suggestion is to do all due diligence and planning over the next 12-14 months. Perhaps material costs will have at least stabilized by then and you can proceed with greater confidence. Right now, availability of materials is constrained thereby driving sky high pricing. Hopefully, this will settle down over next year.

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

ABC, this is a tear down. We're tearing it down to the subfloor. How much would you expect market prices to come down?

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-461387386 what specifically should be changed/modified? With your response, I'm not as concerned about the cosmetics (e.g., Craftsman look). But other areas/aspects.

• loobab
    2 years ago

If this is a teardown and start over, I think there are some serious flaws in your plan.

For a 3000 sq ft house, you don't have enough bathrooms.

In 2021 current houses being built do not have three bedrooms sharing one bathroom, and that will tremendously reduce your resale value.

In addition, while it is a great idea to have a potential in-law suite on the first floor, the bathroom right there should be a dedicated one for the in-law suite.

You need a powder room on the first floor for anyone else on the first floor, guests and family members who don't want to have to go upstairs.

In addition to having two secondary bathrooms upstairs, for resale purposes you might want to consider a bathtub in one of the secondary bathrooms upstairs, as a three-bedroom house would most likely be looked at by a family in the future.

I don't know how old you are now, but way down the line you may regret that long hike you will have to the toilet in your master bathroom.

Why not consider re-orienting your bathroom and closet each 90 degrees.

That way you achieve two things.

You can enter your bathroom without having to pass the closet first.

You can be closer to the necessities, and the bathroom won't contain so much of what appears to be wasted space.

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'm not seeing anywhere that you have to go through a bathroom to get to a closet and the non-master (hallway/kids) bathroom on the 2nd floor is a shower/tub. Only the master bathroom has a dedicated shower and dedicated tub.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

I'm sorry, it isn't clear to me. Is there room on the garage side of the house (literally, on the side) to have the driveway and the garage entrance there?

• loobab
    2 years ago

I fixed it. I didn't see that the upstairs second bathroom was also a tub, sorry.

• XXX YYY
    Original Author
    2 years ago

To the left of the garage is a walkway that goes from the driveway to the backyard. It's probably about 15ft (maybe 20?) from the garage wall to the property line fence. This wall/foundation isn't moving. There is a door that goes from the garage to the walkway so that if you need to go from the back/side yard to the garage you do not need to go a) through the house or b) through the main garage door. On the 1st floor, on the left 1/2 of the house there are no enclosed rooms (just the garage and the living room part of the great room.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Craftsman houses do not "pop", they gently introduce you to beauty.

IF you want a true craftsman home, find a local architect that is well verse in the craftsman tradition so your house will not look like someone played 'pin the tail on the donkey' with roof brackets.