Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larissa_hedley

Stucco and stone, what colors should we use?

Larissa Hedley
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We love and planned on all white but every single house around us is white now. we still like it, but now looking for different ideas. stucco on top and stone on the bottom and columns

Edit to add a simple rendering to show where stone will go, house is completely custom, we dont have stone type yet

Comments (11)

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

Di you know what tones/colors your stone will have?

• Larissa Hedley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is custom so it could be any color! we planned on doing all white but we are second guessing ourselves since all the houses around us are white 😞

• PRO
    PPF.
    2 years ago

Stone everywhere on the 1st floor? What type of stone?

Windows in stucco often do not have trim -- yours seem to.

For colors, I would go dark on the 2nd floor to minimize it. Keep the window trim darker too.

What color is the roof?

Do you have an elevation or rendering of the completed house?

Larissa Hedley thanked PPF.
  • artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I was thinking you were going with raw stone. Do you plan to paint that?

• Larissa Hedley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

no professional rendering, this is just an exemple of where stone will be. roof is pretry dark but not really sure the name? we havent chose stone yet, could be anything, bouse is custom!

• Larissa Hedley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Stucco on rhe white parts, i just added a second pic showing, so stone on columns, half of big front window and half of garage sides only!

• Patrick A
    2 years ago

I suggest that you place stone only in places where you can terminate it on an inside corner. Based on what I can see, I'd cover the 1st floor center mass (entry and the adjacent room to the left), the two car garage and perhaps the center 2nd story center mass. Normally, windows surrounded by stone veneer should be deeply recessed to give the appearance of a thick stone wall.

If possible, try to avoid using token amounts of stone (e.g., as a cost-saving measure). Ideally, stone would be visible on all four sides.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

If you're doing stone, then you need to run it all the way around all four elevations and not just on the front of the house so it looks stuck on.

• chisue
    2 years ago

I've been happy with a 'champagne' stucco and slightly darker toned rough brick. The materials 'alternate' around the 1.5-story house, i.e., the garage and mudroom/laundry section is brick; next section (including projection of covered stoop) is stucco; next projection is stucco. Same on other elevations around the house. Roof is dark grey, as is the bluestone gravel driveway. Windows and french doors are white with 6" limestone trim. Entry door has mahogany stain.

You'd want (for instance) the entire garage stucco, the entry projection and 'front room' stone, the next (recessed) section stucco, etc. (Or the reverse order of stone and stucco with the garage stone (not just the front, but all around it).

Nobody sees only the flat front of a house. It's why McMansion developments resemble movie lots, with made-up 'faces' and inexpensive vinyl all around.

Larissa Hedley thanked chisue
  • mojavemaria
    2 years ago

Can you drive around your area looking for houses you really like that you can copy? you can look online also but in person is best. Also if you can find a house with similar roof color you can see how that wold look. Heres a rest area that I thought was cool but this wouldnt work for your house!

Larissa Hedley thanked mojavemaria