Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Closet doors: what type are your favorites? Best hardware?

artemis78
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We are building a new closet and trying to figure out what kind of door to use. The existing closet is being converted into a bathroom and we will use its door (standard interior hinged door) for that room. The space is 82" long x 27" deep and the door will open on the long side. We don't have room to have full-sized french doors, which would otherwise be my preference.

Are there high-quality bypass or bi-fold doors? I'm skeptical of both styles having encountered many over the years with track issues, but maybe we can avoid that with the right doors or hardware...? We do have two interior 30" wide solid wood doors original to the 100+ year old house that could be used in a bypass setup, though I'm not clear on how well such heavy doors would work on modern tracks. (The upside is that they would match the other doors in the house, though.)

Alternatively, are there good options to use two pairs of narrow french doors? I'm wondering if there's a way to do two 36" wide openings with hinged doors that would make most of the closet space accessible, but not sure what this would look like in reality.

Two adults will share this closet, and the dimensions are pretty set. The existing closet is 35" x 82" with a hinged door on the short end; this has worked fine but the new design requires having the access be on the long side (and this seems preferable anyway).

Any thoughts or tips, especially on hardware, would be much appreciated--thanks!

Comments (7)

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

I have 3 bypass door closets in this house. Avoid at all cost! I don't 'like' bifold doors, either but prefer them 100x over bypass doors.

With bypass doors, you have less than 1/2 open access to the closet (because the doors overlap). So it's a constant of having to move a door out of your way--mostly having to move two doors out of the way. Because you open one door and what you need is behind the other door which is now a stack of two doors. So you have to slide both doors over. PITA

I suspect that you don't have enough room to fit 2 sets of French doors. The framing/ jambs require space beyond the <36 openings--and you need space for trim, too. A 6' set of bifolds may be the best solution.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I have bypass closet doors in my bedrooms and love them❣️

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Which reminds me--I hate those little finger cups on bypass doors, too. The ones that are only large enough to fit one finger in. Add a bit of arthritis, ugh. One of these days, I'm going to get larger cups, the kind where you can fit several fingers in (and break 2 or 3 nails). But that means I will have to remove them to do a good job of morticing and then I will have to fight to get them rehung. They never want to go back on the track easily.

Because the finger cups are so user unfriendly, you end up grabbing the edge of the door to move it. Which isn't a good idea because of leaving oils & paw prints on the finish.

• artemis78
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Is it worth considering a 48" hinged double door set to one side? We would need to put it up against an adjacent wall, so that would make the return on one side of the door about 28" which doesn't seem super accessible. (That said, our other existing closet has a 30" door on one end of the long side of a 30" x 80" space...but we use the inaccessible side for longer-term storage, and it's in our children's bedroom so they don't use the closet daily!)

I am torn since we really like the current closet setup, and I'm worried about spending a lot of money on a renovation only to end up with a new closet we hate using. (I mean, we will also get a bathroom, so there's that...)

• artemis78
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Did some additional thinking and modeling of this, and we are down to two options:

First is a 60" opening with bypass doors, ideally using our existing solid wood core doors (since we have two original to the house that are no longer needed). This gives an 11" return on either side. This has some upsides (no room space needed for door swings) and some downsides (nervous about bypass hardware quality, and can only access one side of the closet at a time).

Second idea is two sets of 30" hinged double doors (so each would have two 15" doors). We would split these with 7" of trim to match the double windows in the same room, so that would give 7.5" of return on the two wall sides. (Interior space would be open between the two so they wouldn't actually be two separate closets.) We have similarly sized cabinets and this seems like it would be enough space to access the closet space, but wondering if anyone has a similar setup and has thoughts. Thank you!

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

Triple bypass doors work great. that way, 2/3 of the closet can be open. it is great because stuff in the middle of the closet is easily reachable and visible, plus you can have drawers that can actually open.