Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quentinjamesp89

Hanging heavy mirror over fireplace with no studs

Quentin Parker
2 years ago

What's the best way to hang a fairly heavy mirror over this fireplace? Obviously it's best to find a stud when hanging something this heavy, but as far as I'm aware there are no studs here. I'm pretty sure it's all brick not far beneath the plaster. Is it better to try to hang it from the ceiling instead (also tricky because of the acoustic tile)? Thanks!

Comments (29)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    2 years ago

Can it be hung by the ceiling?

Quentin Parker thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Since the mirror doesn't appear to be reflecting/doubling anything beautiful or interesting, try finding a better wall with studs where it can be hung. Art would be a better choice over mantel.

Quentin Parker thanked decoenthusiaste
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

Consider hanging your beautiful mirror over your couch on two studs, if possible, to keep it level. And, as decoenthusiaste suggests, art for above your mantle.

Quentin Parker thanked ptreckel
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I agree to hang it in a different spot. Mainly because the mirror seems a bit small.
    But if you want it over the mantle I would lean it against the wall. A bit more towards the left side and accessorize the rest of the mantle to balance the asymmetry

Quentin Parker thanked HU-187528210
  • Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Elaine Doremus Resumes Written That's what I was thinking. It's a little complicated by the fact that there's acoustic tile on the ceiling.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

This is easy . Do not hang the mirror there it reflects nothing worth seeing twice which IMO is always the first thing to think about except in a bathroom or closet .If you insist then you lean it on the mantel. BTW I would get that chimney cleaned and checked before winter since that much soot on the outside of the firebox is not good

Quentin Parker thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste I don't know if we have anything beautiful or interesting in the room for it to reflect. What were you thinking? I was taking the picture at an angle so I wouldn't be in it, but it would be reflecting a bookshelf I believe. The fireplace is in the corner of the room, so art seemed a little out of focus. We have art over the sofa, but it's smaller.

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@ptreckel The problem with hanging the mirror over the sofa is we'd be afraid of the toddler grabbing onto it. Right now there's art that's pretty lightweight, and she's not allowed to touch it, but she would for sure want to look at herself in a mirror.

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-187528210 Yeah, right now it's leaning against the wall. We thought it would fill out the space better hung, make more room for the clock, and cover the outlet from the previous owners' television.

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting We didn't necessarily want to see anything beautiful or interesting in it. Our thought was that the mirror itself is a piece of art and it also opens the room up a little and balances the window. The fireplace isn't in use and won't be. Eventually we'll probably put gas logs in there.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Generally, I like items at the fireplace to be about the size of the firebox opening for balance. That often leaves room for some additional accessories if desired. You could lean it and then give it more impact with accessories. Just don't line things up like soldiers and don't over do it. Is there an opportunity for hanging a chandelier in the center of the room that would be reflected in the mirror?

Quentin Parker thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@decoenthusiaste Thanks! This mirror is larger than the firebox opening. As far as lining things up like soldiers, hopefully it's not that bad, but things are generally centered or symmetrical around here. We don't get real creative and as Jinx said, our tastes are very traditional. The mirror is leaned right now, but I think it would look better and fill the space better if it were hung and would make more room for the clock.

A chandelier in here would be great; I put up a ceiling fan in this room, so nothing special. If we found a nice chandelier the dining room would be first priority.

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The art over the sofa is 30x23 and the art over the piano is 41x29 (not hung until we figure out furniture arrangement). The mirror is 36x34.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

I don't see that mirror over the the fireplace. IMO, it was a piece designed for over the side board in a dining room. Would it work there and would you find studs in that wall?

I definitley would hang one of the dark oils over the fireplace.

Quentin Parker thanked elcieg
  • Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jilly Thanks! I had no idea the mirror would evoke such a response. Yes, our tastes are very traditional. I know it's not very popular right now, but we like it. :) And we like the mirror and really prefer it up there than someplace where we would see things reflected in it anyway.

I did look up hanging a heavy mirror without studs before posting and there's a lot of information, but not so much about hanging on old brick.

• Quentin Parker thanked suedonim75
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Yeah, do a search of mirrors here, you’ll feel like you’re in Groundhog Day. 😄

I’m sorry, I misunderstood about brick being behind the plaster! Hopefully someone with experience sees this.

Quentin Parker thanked Jilly
  • Tara
    2 years ago

Since there is brick behind the plaster, use masonry screws and screw it to the brick. I'm actually surprised no one else thought about that, but it seems they're too busy telling you not to put a mirror there at all or giving you unsolicited and judgmental advice. I like your mirror.

Quentin Parker thanked Tara
  • Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@elcieg We have a piano in the dining room in the place of a sideboard. It's where the larger art is now. A sideboard is a great place for a mirror, but I don't care much for having a mirror over the piano as I play for several hours every day. Seems like an awkward spot for a mirror. :)

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, @Tara . That's the sort of help I was hoping for and I appreciate it. I'll give that a try. Thanks!

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Great art for over the piano. Agree, you don't need a mirror over the piano. Remember Liberace?

Just asked my husband to look at your fireplace. If there is wall board there there has to be studs to hold the wall board. Have you used a stud finder?

Quentin Parker thanked elcieg
  • freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Beautiful mirror. Going larger on your mirror there is good, if you can. (I remember your other post, so I know you had a smaller mirror before.)

Quentin Parker thanked freedomplace1
  • freedomplace1
    2 years ago

@Jinx 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼👏👏👏

• User
    2 years ago

good lord am I tired of the judgement on Houzz.

there might be studs, like judianna20 said. but if there are not, use a masonry bit and masonry screw like Tara suggested. If you're still worried, you can get anchors designed for concrete, like these. you can get them at Lowes.

Quentin Parker thanked User
  • suedonim75
    2 years ago

“good lord am I tired of the judgement on Houzz.”

You notice its always the same people! Always begin their comment with a criticism, or some ridiculous claim that what the Op is doing is devaluing their house value. 🙄🙄🙄

Quentin Parker thanked suedonim75
  • Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@elcieg Haha, yes, not my style at all.

Yes, I did check for studs with a stud finder first. The walls are plaster and the house was built in 1895. The next step is to bore a hole, I guess. I can't say for sure without boring a hole, but it seems like the plaster is on the brick.

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User Thanks! That's the sort of thing I was after.

• Quentin Parker
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I genuinely do always appreciate anyone who takes time to comment on my posts even if it's to tell me I'm doing everything wrong. We all have our own tastes and it's interesting to hear the opinions. I had no idea mirrors were so controversial. Anyhow, the mirror is staying over the fireplace for many reasons, but mainly because we like it there. :) I appreciate the answers to my actual questions about how to hang it properly.