Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenchick2010

What are your top 3 hostas in your garden in June 2021

gardenchick2010
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I was taking pics of my plants, and as always stopped to admire a few specific hostas longer than others.

Do you do the same? If so, what are your top 3 hostas in your garden?

My current top 3 are:

1. First Frost - so pretty in the spring.

2. Whirlwind - I had no idea when I bought this one, that I'd love it as much as I do.

3. Forbidden Fruit - bought this 3 years ago. Almost lost her the 2nd year, as she shrunk to a scary little size, but survived to the next year, and is doing pretty well this year. Even had a baby, (under that bottom leaf) which I divided off and am now nursing in another garden

Honourable mentions are 2 "Fire" hostas.

1. Fire and Ice - which I love, but isn't a top 3 performer just yet this year.

2. Fire Island - which has struggled the 3 or so years I've had it, so I've just moved it to a shadier spot to see if it will be happier there or not.

Comments (54)

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Remember Me, Sagae, Mango Salsa, and Ben Vernooij

• beverlymnz4
    2 years ago

Here they are, in no particular order. We are in a drought with very high temps and dry winds so these have been tough.

Gone with the Wind. ( I should get a video on a windy day so that the name makes sense.)

Sugar Snap is so sweet.

Here is a leaf shot showing the subtle coloring and cupping.

Golden Meadows always puts on a show in June

Its really doing well despite being over crowded. The sedums love the dry heat as you can see - it will be removed next year for sure.

Honorable mention Krossa Regal. So huge, symmetric, wavy ...

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Yep. I’m hopeless. I must stop or you will have photos of everything.

First is Secret Love (with other favorites of Stained Glass, Spartacus, and Electrocution), Royal Standard (with favorites Climax and Fragrant Bouquet), Monkey Business in the rain, Afterglow in the rain.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Just beautiful gardenchick! It is so hard to pick just 3 and I am sure it was as tough for you.

Lovely Debra & utog! ETA Beverly you were posting as I was, very nice!

So many other contenders but...

Choo Choo Train

Powder Keg

Silver Bay

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

I must also mention….
    Heat Wave, Journey’s End, Cup of Grace, and Unruly Child

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Beautiful, Beverly & Peren. All of you take such good care of your plants. It makes me happy to see your healthy, loved plants.

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

undertheoaksgardener7b: yours are all so beautiful. No wonder you couldn't just pick 3. I think of the ones you posted, my favourite is Monkey Business.

beverlymnz4: so beautiful, all of them, and even with draught conditions. I absolutely love, love, love Golden Meadows, with it's ruffled leaves and white flowers. I think it's going on my wish list.

peren.all: yours are gorgeous too. I think Choo Choo Train is my favourite of your 3.

djacobz568sewi: just realized I didn't pick a favourite from your pics. I think I'll have to go with Dream Queen.

Thank you all of your for posting your pics. Makes me see I have a lot of potential hosta purchases in my future. 😀

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

This has been fun! GC, your First Frost, Forbidden Fruit, and Whirlwind look great. I have been scouring the web for Giantland Blue Bananas since I saw Debra’s picture.

gardenchick2010 thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

GL Blue Banana is WOW! I am going to try not to shop for it….

==>>> yeah.. sure.. let us know how that works out for you ... lol ...

ken

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Yep, Ken. Hopeless.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Utog, you are hopeless! lol….lol…….. ;-D

debra

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Nice plants everyone. Here’s a few of mine.

Little Treasure

Night Before Christmas

Hanky Panky

Hanky Panky is interesting now as it transitions from dark edge-light center (top with more shade) to light edge-dark center (bottom with more sun).

tj

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

beautiful favorites everyone!..in the spring Fire Island is in my top 3..

this is the most recent pic of Great Expectations taken a few days ago..I almost deleted it..I think the discoloration and wrinkles are from spring snow and freezes (sigh)..it's rewarding to see it getting bigger..

pic from summer 2020..everyone knows Krossa Regal is my favorite hosta..I've started ripping out this lamium..gave the planters away last summer..once I'm finished KR will be even more elegant and I'll take new pics..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

tj love that Tiny Treasure!! I am thinking of planting that one en mass under my counter height vegetable planters outside. They would receive pretty much full sun for a good part of the day. Think they would survive with that much sun? I have seen them en mass in other photos at the front of wide open beds.

debra

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    2 years ago

Deb, my Little Treasure gets about 4-5 hours of direct sun. And since my pic has no scale, know that it is 30 inches in diameter.

tj

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Its not that hard to pick my top 3. Here's my top 3 (growers) this year. Star Power and getting more yellow each day.

Stir It Up - getting too big for its britches (where the purple petioles reside).

And this Sagae Sport which looks like Liberty (among others) but grows better and taller (for me).

2 years ago

. . . And my 3 favorite looking Hosta. (You didn't really think I'd stop at only 3 - did you?)

Wave Runner (Surprise, Surprise) This is my second one and while smaller just has better color in full sun after 2 PM but looks like it may bleach out before too long.

Here's my other one. I think the best amount of sun is somewhere between these two. Afternoon sun after 4 PM with a little filtering. Guess I should try a morning sun spot for it. Ooh, I got the perfect place. I just need to move some under performing piece of carp.

The King, but to fully appreciate it, you need to watch it all season long.

today:

and from last August

but very slow to increase.

and this sport from Sagae that looks just like Liberty but is taller and a better grower for me. (From early last year)

2 years ago

and my top 3 blues - Prairie Sky

Waterslide

Awakening Angel

This list is sure to change as some younger Hosta gain maturity. It was hard to exclude Skylight, but somehow I managed.

• loisflan
    2 years ago

What wonderful hostas, everyone. I couldn't decide on my top three favorites, but here are three that are looking mighty fine these days.

Dancing Queen

Ripple Effect (Except for water spots from overhead sprinkling. It's been so hot here.)

Curly Fries

• Faye (almosthooked) Dalrymple
    2 years ago

It is hard to choose what will be the ones that today will catch your eye but these were the three besides First frost and Praying hands that I noticed today as being some of my favorites. So here goes......

Final Summation Large: Very large mound of Dark green-margined, gold-centered foliage; leaves measure 16″ long by 12″ wide.

Irish Luck

Fire Island because of the red in the stems

Couldn't help myself coming back into the house and seeing Emerald Crown. So very vibrant green today

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

My favorite 3 in June are Ben Vernooij, It's bright and I need to always stop and look at it as I go past to go in the house. It's near the front entrance.

'Fortunei Albopicta' whose green-bordered leaves have a beautiful, bright yellow-colored center in the spring that turns to green by midseason.

Close up

Christmas Tree, because I love the heavily corrugated leaves and it is huge,

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

How fun, Shadow! I love the changers, too.

2 years ago

And my top 3 Dancing Queen Sports. It all started with seeing Amalia posted here (from Donna, I think). It starts off a nice yellow, but does begin to green up a little. Perhaps some more sun would help it. Here it is today moving into that two tone green thing which I also love.

Which led to One Last Dance (the reverse sport) which seemed to go green even quicker and darker. I moved it into more sun and it is holding much nicer. Also taken today.

and another Dancing Queen Sport next to it holding onto that yellow color better in a bit more sun. New last year - First Dance.

Which only leaves Dancing Darling (for me) which is more albescent so its growing in more shade to hold that center yellow. Planted in 2019, pic also taken today.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Kaleidochrome is looking very good this year.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Just got Lemon Snap last fall but it's looking very good for a first year plant.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Academy Fire is a gorgeous apple green which is accentuated by the thin white border. I simply love it's color.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Hans is looking good this year not as full as lots of other hostas but coming along well I think.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

Orange Star is always very shiny and seems to love its spot in the garden.

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

tsugajunkie: All 3 are lovely. Surprised that Little Treasure is so large, as it looks cute and small-ish in your pic.

nicholsworth: beautiful Fire Island. I hope mine looks more like that next year, as I've moved it to a shadier spot.

steve duggins: so many gorgeous hostas. Totally in love with Waterslide !!!

loisflan: Beautiful - all 3. Think my fav is Ripple Effect.

Faye: all gorgeous. Love Irish Luck. And envious of your Fire Island, that is standing so tall. Mine is short and simply sad looking.

Shadow: very nice, all of them. But loving Ben Vernooij.

miles10612: all beautiful. Love Kaleidochrome.

Beth: Lovely hostas. My fav of your 3 is Regal Spendor.

Thanks again everyone for posting your pics. So lovely to see so many stunningly beautiful hostas. Hope I didn't miss replying to anyone. If I did, it was not intentional.

• miles10612
    2 years ago

My Fire Island got moved to a pot for intensive care--it won't make another year in the ground. Faye, love yours, it's gorgeous.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

One last fav that noone else showed,Paradise Joyce:

debra

There are so many beautiful hostas here……I am loving everyone else’s eye candy!! Thanks for the thread garden chick.

tj, thanks for the TT info, seems it is not so tiny after all. :-)

• Ben D (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

This is my "leftover" Lemon Lime after dividing a few large clumps this spring:

This Sum and Substance was planted a few years ago; it really jumped in size this year:

Of the plants I purchased this spring, Waterslide is off to the best start:

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Too many beauties in this thread to mention them all! A few of my June favorites.....

Arc de Triomphe

June Fever in shade

Venetian Star, a beautiful wavy blue

An honorable mention for the colors of Rainbow's End

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Ben D , love your plants….. my S&S is also a few years old and looks just like yours, flower and all.

sandyslopes, love ADT and thanks for showing beautiful Rainbows End!

beth, your GE is to die for!

debra

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

djacobz568sewi: Paradise Joyce is another beauty.

Ben D: more lovely hostas. Really like Waterslide.

sandyslopes: all beautiful. Love Venetian Star

2 years ago

unfinished but my KR look better without the lamium..

note..I think? I've talked about my neighbor's rocks and how I hate them..we disassembled the compost enclosure..we're hiding the rock as best we can..logs also keep the rocks and weedkiller on their side..the view from the kitchen window is 100% better..

compost bin is gone..here's their entire sideyard of rock..the other end was more visible from inside of the house so we used the logs there..one problem at a time..

a million rocks..plastic lattice and fake ivy on the fence..sorry to get off track..trying to explain the logs..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

NW, you are soooo funny……plastic ivy????Really…..omg! Totally get the logs!!!

Love your Krossas, it’s what inspired me to buy mine 3 years ago.

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Miles, love that Academy Fire…….looks like a NOID I have. What do you think?

debra

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Trying this again, houzz can sometimes be so difficult!

My three favorites today and tomorrow may be totally different.

Sum and Substance, finally taking a leap

Hudson Bay - never dissapoints

Komodo Dragon - My favorite for a few years now

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Old dirt, your hostas are lovely! Putting Komodo Dragon in a pot really shows it off well!

debra

2 years ago

debra..one more comment about my neighbor's bad taste and I'll stop haha..

have you EVER seen anyone hang fake ivy and plastic trellis on a fence?..I bet the answer is no..I've had fun making jokes with several neighbors who also hate the look..ok I'm done..

gardenchick..sorry for the off topic comments..viewing this ugly place in back upsets me..I'm trying hard to block the view and just enjoy my garden..

• miles10612
    2 years ago

We had a nearby neighbor that put fake forsythia blooms on bushes in the spring and then left them up for months. Sometimes took them down for Halloween.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Not in a fence, but how about plastic flowers in planter boxes all winter long? hahaha!!!

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Miles, did you see my NOID above? Any chance it could be an Academy Fire, in your opinion?

debra

2 years ago

miles and debra..those are ugly ideas too! (my opinion)..I guess all of us have experienced eyesores..

• Ed Rushing
    2 years ago

My 3 top hostas are ones that grow big and grow fast...

Stained Glass - this one about 6 years old about 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet tall

Avacado about 10-15 years old 4 feet in diameter and 2 feet tall

Guacamole only 2 years old

• miles10612
    2 years ago

djacobz, it looks similar. I will take a close up and show the size of the leaves, etc. I just love the gorgeous apple green leaves. It starts out a bit greener and then starts to glow. I got mine from a club member about 5 years ago. I am trying to get some of their other plants since they have some really gorgeous hostas that they might sell a crown or two of to club members.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

You know miles, I looked in the HL and it said Academy Fire has purple petioles at the base. Mine does not have that, I assume yours does.

debra

• gardenchick2010
    Original Author
    2 years ago

nicholsworth: Everything looks good. Your KR is a stunner.

old_dirt: 3 beautiful hostas. Love Hudson Bay

Ed Rushing: lovely hostas. I love the shiny leaves on Avocado.