Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisychain01

One more travel question

daisychain Zn3b
2 years ago

If the thread topics are any indication, we are all ready to get back to exploring the world.

Here is my quandry. we have been gifted a cruise in 2022 (should cruising be a safe option by then). it will be on Oceanna Cruises. We can choose anywhere the line cruises except for Australia, etc because the very long flight time doesnt work for one of our travelling companions.

Has anyone done an Oceanna cruise they especially enjoyed and would recommend?

Comments (7)

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago

We havent cruised with Oceania, but we did with Regent to Alaska a few years ago, which i think is affiliated somehow with Oceania. We loved their smaller ships, the amenities, size of the rooms, and their food was wonderful. I also loked their shore itineraries which mostly were included in the deal. We did purchase a couple of extras that cost an additional fee (moderate imo for what it included).

I have looked at some of the European cruises and would look strongly at one that included a few of the Grecian islands, and perhaps some of Italy. That is just my preference. You may want to go in a different direction.

I do recommend when you select your cruise, start planning your shore excursions early. Speak with your US cruise rep and get a copy of the itineraries emailed to you. One of the best hours i spent was with the cruise rep who helped me make decisions based on his experience with the cruise and tours himself. It greatly helped me decide and book them early before they were full.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

A friend loves Oceania and has done many cruises with them. IIRC, one they particularly enjoyed was in South America. I think it was Lima to Buenos Aires (or vice versa). If South America appeals to you, let me know and I’ll ask her exactly which cruise it was. https://www.oceaniacruises.com/cruise-finder/#marketing_region=southamerica&sort=featured:desc&page=1&pageSize=10

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone! This has given me some starting points. We definitely like the idea of the smaller ships that Oceanna has. Our only slight concern with the line is that we are thinking of bringing our late teen and 20 something DDs with us (if we can make the timing work for all) and were told that there are no young people on these cruises.

Mediterranean is high on our list. I hadn't considered South America but will add it. We did Alaska on Holland America years ago and loved it, but would like to do something further from home this time (we are in Canada).

There are just so many options it is hard to narrow it down. My first choice would be the Baltic, but it's off the table.

• OutsidePlaying
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You mean they dont allow teens and 20-somethings, or they just dont usually have that age? We actually saw a 3 young children with one couple in the dining room one day on our Regent cruise. The oldest looked around 12. It surprised us because everyone else we saw were 40+ and sailing without kids.

• texanjana
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have been on three cruises with Oceania. I like the line (the food is good), but I plan my own shore excursions. We were also booked for the October 1 NYC to Montreal cruise, but it has been cancelled due to Canadian port closures. There were no young children on any of our cruises, only a couple of teens on one with their grandparents. Oceania does not disallow kids, there are simply no activities for them onboard.

Regent and Oceania are owned by the same company. Regent is their luxury line.

The Oceania cruises I have done:

Istanbul to Athens (I especially enjoyed Crete and Ephesus on this trip as well as a week in Istanbul prior to the cruise).

Rome to Monte Carlo

London to Copenhagen (My favorite cruise so far. St Petersburg was amazing).

• daisychain Zn3b
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, sorry. I meant that it isn't popular with younger people, not that they aren't allowed. It's not a huge deal for us as they would be coming to spend time with family not to party or socialize.

texanjana, I'm sorry your cruise was cancelled. Hoping it is safe for the border to open soon.