Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_446155111

Polar white color for doors/cabinets?

Harshal
2 years ago

Hi,

We recently bought a house. It has red oak color wooden flooring. We want to paint the doors, kitchen cabinets white along with white base boards. At Lowes, we saw that the baseboards are polar white in color. We want to figure out of polar white baseboards, kitchen cabinets, and doors would look good. Would polar white be too white?

Thanks.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

There are a MILLION whites. What does Lowes have to do with a white paint color? Are you ripping out the back splash? What is the counter top? ( Close up, please ) What wall colors will you have? What rugs or other furnishings?

How about wait ....until you move in.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I would be looking to change the back splash and hardware and call it a day. To do the painting properly would cost enough that I would find it faster/easier/not that much more to just buy all new door fronts and that is soooo wasteful for perfectly nice wood.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

" perfectly nice wood" Is not that if you want a white kitchen. Either way........which white depends OTHER things.

That includes a pro paint job that will last, or significant care in a DIY.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

polar white baseboards "off the shelf at Lowes?" is that what you want...prepainted? . What are the baseboards in the home right now? Regarding the kitchen: its a perfectly fine kitchen for initial possession and adjusting to a new home. Common advice is to wait on kitchen changes. for good reason.

• Indecisiveness
    2 years ago

If you are keeping those counters, ”polar white” sounds too cool-white.

You should post more pictures and explain a little more your taste and what look youre going for.

But i do agree with arcy_gw that those existing wood cabinets are nice. The backsplash and hardware will need to be replaced to update the kitchen regardless of cabinet color…

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO the baseboards are the least of the issues . First you wait for at least 3-6 months before spending any money on a new house and especially a kitchen You need to know how this space functions for you and that takes time. Af the actul white color too early to be choosing that. I have no idea what polar white is usually the basebords from a big box store are primed and you paint them whatever you like. . Begin by changing all the lighting to LED bulbs in 4000K that will mimic bright daylight and make all color choices easier down the rod. If you really want help here we need more info and more pictures

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I agree with a lot of the above comments.
    I would wait until you understand more about what works for you and what doesn’t.
    After that I would probably keep the wood. Or at least the uppers or the lowers wood.
    It’s super on trend now and I think it’s so timeless.
    But obviously you need to like your kitchen :)
    I personally would change out the countertops backsplash and hardware before I painted. Which will probably less or equally as expensive.
    You can paint too. But I think you will for sure have to sample a few whites if that’s the route you choose to go.

• Harshal
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone. This is very helpful. This was my first post on this forum and I am glad I posted. I am outlining the broad plan we have in mind and adding some more pictures to give a better idea of the house if anyone wants to relook -

It is an empty house (the furniture in the house is the staged one). We will be moving in another month's time. The house has wooden baseboards, and wood color doors. My wife and I think we would like a white theme to the house to make it more modern looking and also because we liked white when we saw other houses. So we plan to a) make baseboards white b) window trims white c) doors white d) cabinets white, across the entire house. We were not planning to change the back splash or the countertop currently.

We are hiring a pro for this. When we went to Lowes to see the baseboards, they were pre-painted "Polar white" in color. Based on that we were planning to match everything else to that polar white color. Hence, the question. The reason we were trying to do this before moving in that my wife absolutely cannot bear paint smell. So, tough to do when we are in the house.

If you have additional insights on the white color shade or absolutely anything else, I would really appreciate. We want to make sure we are making the right decision since these are not easily reversible.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

I like your cabinets without painting, they look modern. I would replace backsplash.