Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_832061511

New Pella windows look green?

HU-832061511
2 years ago

We recently got new Pella windows installed, the rep did not disclose there would be any tint or green color. Now it makes my white house look odd. Am I in the right to ask for these to be replaced with clear glass? I’m not sure what to do since they installed, but after they peeled the film off I was shocked to see it was still green.
The last photo is the before.

Comments (11)

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

Low E glass is the standard. There is no such thing as clear.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"There is no such thing as clear."

There certainly is but it will not pass code any longer in the US. All windows currently come with Low E which depending on the makeup / manufacturer can be varying shades of green / purple / blue. Unfortunately not much you can do about it.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

What coating did they specify and where is the home (i.e. region of the country)?

• wednesday morning
    2 years ago

I have seen others asking the same questions and had the same thing happen

I have a sliding door that rarely gets any direct sun through it. But, when we had some work done on the deck and the deck boards were removed, the light did come through the glass door and I was surprised that it cast a green glow into the room.

This is an Anderson door.

I have heard others complain that the greenish glow altered the appearance of the color in the room.

Still, your house looks fine.

• M Miller
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It depends on which LoE level your windows have - the standard coating is LoE-272 and LoE-270. Typically it does not show the tint like seen in your photos. But in a very sunny climate like Arizona for example, many homeowners opt for the greater solar control of a triple layer of coating found in LoE-366. That coating can cause a tint. What state do you live in? What does your windows contract say about which LoE coating you have?

• debbielombardi
    10 months ago

You can buy energy efficient windows that are clear glass. The green coating makes them a little bit more efficient. But who wants green windows?? In sunlight they look terrible from the outside. Women see the color much more than men. Here in Georgia, they don’t have to have green coating.

• chloebud
    10 months ago

The rep definitely should have discussed the tint. I understand how you feel. We have plantation shutters throughout the house and will eventually need to replace our windows. I don’t want the shutters to look green from the exterior, but you do see that all over here (Southern CA). Guess I might have to just deal with it.

• millworkman
    10 months ago

" You can buy energy efficient windows that are clear glass. "

Sure, Low Iron glass will be "more clear", but that comes at a price ($$).

• Kate
    10 months ago

Maybe a window film will help?

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 months ago

Won't help much unless it's exterior and it won't hold up there.

I suspect this window (as pictured above) was specified with Low-e 366 which would be "greener" than other Low-e specifications.

• Gigi Rosa
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

@HU-832061511

I'm sorry this has happened to you. This has been an issue for people in general. See my post:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6207604/do-the-milgard-trinsic-windows-have-a-green-hue-to-them#28747389

I have Pella and Milgard windows. They both have a greenish hue/tint but I personally feel that Pella is more than Milgard when comparing their Low E2 windows.