Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dskatchmark

What to do with a strange cut-out?

Denise
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hello, our home in Aruba has an odd cut-out and we don't know what to do with it! We don't love the current look. We were thinking of a few options:

1) Fill in the cut-out and make a large wall. Get a larger TV and center it. Put a console table under and a few lamps.

2) Keep the cut-out. Put a larger hutch under the TV to center in the cut-out. And move the TV up. Add a console table to the right to balance out the wall?

3) #1 with a tile on the wall to give it some texture and depth.

If we fill in, I would use this piece on the wall.

On the other side of the cut-out

Tile for the large wall if we fill in the cut-out. This tile or another one?

other side of the wall.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I would just clse it get a bigger TV BTW the TV is at the right height so do not raise after you close wall. You might be able to make that empty space a storage space on the other side of the wall.

Denise thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    myricarchitect
    2 years ago

custom shelves with the wood you have elsewhere, no paneling

Denise thanked myricarchitect
  • PRO
    Denise
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I LOVE THESE IDEAS!!! Beth H, thank you so much for taking my photo and creating your idea. Way above and beyond what I ever expected! I'm going to send it to my contractor. II love both of these photos, will be hard to choose. I can't thank you all enough.

• Therese N
    2 years ago

Turn it into storage with a rail-hung door over it.

Denise thanked Therese N
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Denise, a few other ideas for the niche

gave you some reclaimed wood around the tv since you posted that tile. (use real wood if doing that, not tile)

see how they did these two inserts?

find a cabinet or build one that spans the width, and maybe hang art above it, or do something like a dark accent color

Or, maybe you'd rather do a black tile where the TV goes? the insert do a built in cabinet with shelving above, and maybe a sconce.

you could also do a little bench there w/art above, a floating desk w/stool, a tall cabinets, or whatever you like.

I like this dark blue accent w/the warm wood

if you decide to fill in the niche, you can mount the tv and do a slender floating cabinet beneath it

or, keep part of the insert and modify that entire wall to look like this

how about a beverage bar??

• PRO
    Denise
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Beth, I need you to take a trip to Aruba with me! :) I sure could use a wonderful decorator. Really, thank you. I've been stuck for months. And, now I'm excited about this project. I love the reclaimed wood idea. I'm not sure if we can hang the wood on concrete, but I will ask our contractor.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

lol. I'm in!

i posted a few more pics/ideas while you were typing. there are so many diff things you can do w/that spot. just depends on what you want.

Denise thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

lol. im retired but I do projects close by. (so Cal).

I just added a beverage bar pic. you see that?

do u need a bar area? you could easily plug in a wine cooler, have a fill-in cubbie area next to it, float the top w/a remnant piece of stone you can find locally. (or, top it w/wood block. i'm sure Mahogany is in great supply where you are)

then do the open shelves above, maybe tile the wall w/some cool mosaic tile, hange a pendant, and party.

i love the looks of this one. get some Zellige tile in a beachy color, local wood for floating shelves, do a cabinet or the wine cooler, top with the same tile, wood or some marble.

you could even do a mirror or mirror tiles to bounce around the light. wood top,

get some reclaimed wood from the island and use it. simple fridge, and very simple wine racks built around it.

or, find a local artist, give them the size of the space and have something custom made.

ok. i promise. i'm done!

• PRO
    Denise
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I LOVE these ideas! Yes, we need a bar, and there a few favorites among your ideas. You're very talented. And, you also very kind, to take your time to help me. It's clear this is your passion. One of your ideas will be in our NEW living room. You've inspired me! Cheers! And, Happy 4th!

• calidesign
    2 years ago

That looks like a major walkway, so I'd be careful about anything sticking out on the flat part of the wall. I'd just get a console that fits the space, or build one in, and keep the tv in the alcove so you don't have to look at the side of the tv. It looks like you have a perfect location for a bar next to your stairs where you have the two chairs.

Denise thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    2 years ago

We might suggest trying to move the TV to the wall where the tree picture currently is. Then you could try one of these options below in that niche area beside the TV.

Casual Classic Remodel · More Info

Charming Cottage · More Info

Charming Cottage · More Info

High-End Residence · More Info

Denise thanked Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home