Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_naegelin

Scratched up standing seam roof

Chris
2 years ago

Just had a brand new standing seam roof installed. After a closer inspection I noticed lots of scratches on all of the areas that were mechanically seamed as well as on the faces of several panels. See photos attached. Is there anything that can be done? Is the life and integrity of the roof severely compromised?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

What did the roof installer say?

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Still waiting on a call back but would like to be a bit more informed prior to that discussion

• JJ
    2 years ago

Its a dark color and appears to be a lighter gauge. Idk if you can even install that without scratching. Is this a new house? Ask the architect/builder/GC or whoever.

• JJ
    2 years ago

Call the manufacturer?

• millworkman
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Is this new construction or an existing home? Definitely get a hold of the manufacturer as your finish warranty at the very least is at stake if not already voided.

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JJ @millworkman

This is a new roof on an existing home (full remodel with addition ). Was told this was 24 gauge but I will insist on having a having the manufacturer come out. Thanks

• just_janni
    2 years ago

Scratches are probably inevitable. Manufacturer should have matching paint and process to deal with installation scratches that will keep warranty intact, etc.

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Should there be scratches on ever single seam? Seems excessive..

• just_janni
    2 years ago

Agree - this amount is excessive. My roof had very few scratches, and the trim pieces for my overhands had almost ZERO that were visible (and they are dark bronze and very customized bends / install)

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The installer is suggesting to have the entire roof repainted. In not sure if this is the right solution or not but I've requested that they send a rep from the manufacturer to discuss. Will post updates as things progress.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

@Chris,

To be frank, your ss metal roof looks like a high school vo-tech hands-on learning project. The last picture shows what appears to be an exposed screw which, if it is indeed a screw, is going to be the source of a future leak.

The problem with painting the roof in place is how the paint job will affect the manufacturer's standard warranty on the finish. Check on that. You deserve a lot better than you got.

• JJ
    2 years ago

Paint the roof???

I would not want that. What a mess.

• just_janni
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

OMG do not let them paint the roof - that's a guaranteed bad result - as they won't be able to decently prime the entire thing and get good adherence. That's a flaking / peeling disaster waiting to happen.

ETA - last picture looks like a rivet, not a screw, but still shouldn't be there.

• Chris
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Just an update - after insisting that the roofer has the manufacturer send a rep out to confirm they will warranty the roof in its current condition they have instead decided that they will replace a majority of the roof first. Will update as things progress.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

"after insisting that the roofer has the manufacturer send a rep out to confirm they will warranty the roof in its current condition they have instead decided that they will replace a majority of the roof first"

Exactly as they did a crap job and once you called them out on it they knew they were done.

• Candace
    2 years ago

Chris - so glad they’re making it right for you! We had a black standing seam roof installed and it was darn near perfect - that’s what you should expect and what you should get - those puppies are expensive!!!!