Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessicaelizabeth_rellstab

what would you add to these two rooms

Jessica R
2 years ago

Looking for advice. Neither room feels complete yet.

Comments (34)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I like your style. For the dining room, can you lower the chandelier to about 36" from the bottom above the table? I would look for two square pieces of art for over the breakfront. The kitchen looks okay, although it is too bad the L cabinets are so high.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m sure I could lower it. I’d have to figure out how. What do you mean by L cabinets? The shelves?

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

Love those blue chairs! Not a pro, but the muted dining room rug seems out of place to me, compared to the other colors in the dining room. Perhaps either a solid light neutral rug to go with the background of the wall hanging, or a patterned rug with some of the other brighter colors? Can the spare chair go into one of the corners that aren't in the picture?

I assume all the hanging items have significance to you but consider repositioning them. The dimensions of the wall hanging seem too similar to the kitchen doorway. I'd think about moving it over to the wall on the right in place of the starburst and the other item. A plant to the right of the kitchen door; either a really tall one, or something mid size with the starburst or antlers above it.. IMO the driftwood would look better mounted on the wall rather than suspended from the ceiling. (If painting it is an option, that could add some fun unexpected color!) It looks like it might go above the doorway on the right, replacing the antlers and (rose?). Art above the breakfront as mentioned above....or perhaps the starburst or antlers would work there.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

I was referring to the higher counter to the left.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Lovely place with a lot of character and style. Move the driftwood over the doorway. Lower the chandelier and give its crystals and bulbs a good cleaning. Move the long wall hanging to where the sunburst is now. You could add light colored foamcore panels to the back of the china hutch so that objects added to shelves will be more visible.

The kitchen setup has a temporary feel to it. The ceramic artwork is taking precedence over the work function. Form follows function. I suggest moving some pottery into the china hutch, then putting the dishes on the bottom two shelves. Continue using the top shelf for artwork. The chest could go somewhere else. Do you want to add a decorative treatment to the window? If not, remove the unused hardware and touch up the paint.

Would you like decluttering advice for the sink countertop area? If it's working for you, fine, if not, just ask.

A vase of yellow gold sunflowers would look fresh on the table.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When a room feels unfinished, the culprit can generally be linked to a lack of plants. I would put a big leafy monstera on top of that sweet china cabinet in the dining room. I would also get a plant stand and put another plant in front of the window.

For the shelves in the kitchen, I would do the same, add a small plant or two.

• Thomas Wadden
    2 years ago

Love the colors and the pipe shelving, but I would use the shelving for glassware or things that you actually use on a regular basis instead of just being decorative. The dining room looks great, and if I was being super picky, I would maybe move the hanging wood to make that corner a bit less busy.

• ginatay124
    2 years ago

Since your industrial shelving in your kitchen takes good advantage of the vertical height in the room, you could emphasize it with your other decor elements as well. Perhaps a Roman shade over the window that goes all the way to the ceiling - it would give the illusion of a taller window and could bring in more color. Also raise the zebra art to be visually about the height of your middle three pipe shelves. Agree with suggestions on using lower shelf or two for function and top for decor. Instead of one item per shelf, layer perhaps three items.

• ginatay124
    2 years ago

Also, since you asked about what could be added, if it were my space I would change the chandelier out to something that matches the other style elements you have going. Is there a style direction you want to go in? Industrial, MCM, rustic?

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Gina, I would LOVE to change the chandelier but it’s a family heirloom and it would make my mom sad if I changed it. Trust me, I know it doesn’t go with anything and it actually drives me nuts! Lol

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would this rug work as a replacement for the pink? I’m in love with it.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

Even though you feel the chandelier does not go with anything. It just feels right!

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some of the changes I was able to make immediately. Will have to buy a new chain for the chandelier though

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I included a picture of the opposing wall in the dining room. It needs work too.

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

I like the woven wall hanging on the new wall - nice fit for the space. You're off to a good start!

The rug you posted is pretty, but still looks muted to me, in comparison to the stronger tones in the room. I like the second one Beverly suggested above better.

You mentioned that your mom's feelings might be hurt if you changed the chandelier. Is this a situation where you trying to remix a lot family pieces into your own style? If that's the case, pointing out items that you most want to incorporate might result in more helpful advice.

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

Also -if the pop of chartreuse around your kitchen door is staying, the rug you like would not be a good fit IMO. Have you looked at Rugs.com? They have a visual search tool; once you spot a rug you "kind of" like, it will suggest others that you can refine by color, size, etc.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

L.D,
    The chandelier is the biggest family piece I have to keep. Everything else can be exchanged or removed. I’m really into Persian style rugs but I’m on a serious budget so I can’t get a real one so I’ve been looking at world market for dupes. Rugs.com has some good ones but the Persian design can sometimes be too pixelated. I will look at them again too though.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also should add that the rugs have to be dog friendly too. So I’m limited in what I can buy

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Would this rug work better?

• Sarah
    2 years ago

Love your style! Would you add more plants to the dining room ona plant stand? The space by the window looks like it gets nice light.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another image of the rug

• acm
    2 years ago

(do not raise the zebra. that is all. in love with your eclectic spaces!)

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

I think your second choice here works better with the rest of the room. Dark, but that's generally dog friendly! Still think the chartreuse would have to go, probably with any Persian style rug.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

Everyone has an opinion, so I thought the rug that you're in love with would work. In any event, I'd buy a smaller size before making a commitment.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The chartreuse is leftover from a different era of design in this house haha. It can definitely be changed.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I also have some questions about this room as well.... I know I have to change the rug but that’s because necessity rather than style. It gets too dirty too quickly with dogs in the house. I really do not like the furniture in the room but I need it to be practical and comfortable as it is currently the only seating area in the house. I can’t seem to fit a full size sofa so only apartment sized sofas will work. I’ve been looking at an ikea sectional that is reversible and small for the space but not sure about comfort and build. Really would like design advice for the tv placement and furniture arrangement of this room too.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We were thinking about mounting the tv in the actual fireplace

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, most of the things in the shelving units are temporary besides for the woven bin at the very bottom of the right shelf. That is hiding all of our routers and such.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

(We know we need a new tv. We just don’t watch it much)

• aziline
    2 years ago

I really like the chandelier. Full disclosure I have one in my dining room so i am a bit biased.

But mine is less busy than yours. I would try taking off the longer "chains" of crystals to simplify it. After that you could always make the hanging pendants shorter. I can't quite tell from the pic how many there are on each.

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Really considering this rug as well.... I think this might correlate to the colors in the room best

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

Dining room: I'd switch the cabinet to the wall (where the circle thingie is hanging), move the wall hanging to where the cabinet is, and angle the chair near the window; and, add a larger rug.

Kitchen: The brown cabinet seems so heavy - I'd replace it with a rolling island...

• Jessica R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the rug I ended up ordering. Hoping it works!