Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_simpson38

Will this Taj Mahal slab also look good for the backsplash?

Tracey Simpson
2 years ago

We love the opinions of all of the professionals on this site. Any help you can give would be amazing! We have finally selected a polished Taj Mahal for our kitchen. Our dilemma is will it also look good for the back splash also... or too busy. My favorite part of the slab is the lighter grey tones and the crackly look... Does this slab have too much movement for a backsplash? Here are some pictures of the kitchen and the slab.

Comments (36)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Too much Taj in my opinion.

Tracey Simpson thanked millworkman
  • heatheron40
    2 years ago

I love when the backslash and counter are the same ;^) as long as it's a light color. Honestly most don't do Taj in both because of the expense of it. Look in old posts and you'll see. It also saves trying to find a "match" :^)

But I'm partial!

Tracey Simpson thanked heatheron40
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Oooh… beautiful! Personally I don’t like matching backsplash with countertops, no matter what the material. I tend to think it may be a bit too much Taj, too, even though I love this stone. That said, I can’t offer advice on what to choose for backsplash. My “dream” home has Taj and some sort of neutral splash that doesn’t detract from the Taj beauty.

Tracey Simpson thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Shasta
    2 years ago

Your Taj is beautiful. But I wouldn't use it for a backsplash. Just my opinion but I think you need well defined movement (like you find in marble) to make that work.

Tracey Simpson thanked Shasta
  • felizlady
    2 years ago

I prefer a backsplash of the same material as the counters. My kitchen has a green granite with gray veining and black, white, tan and gray speckling for both counters and backsplash. The most beautiful part of the kitchen is the big slab of granite on the wall above/behind the two stainless steel ranges.

Tracey Simpson thanked felizlady
  • Mel
    2 years ago

agree that it might be too much taj. we have taj in our kitchen and love it. used a simple bone white subway tile.

Tracey Simpson thanked Mel
  • Joy
    2 years ago

As counter and backsplash, very beautiful. Google white kitchen with Taj counters and backsplash, you’ll see.

Tracey Simpson thanked Joy
  • lisalarsen22
    2 years ago

Beautiful and looks similar to my kitchen. I did a bone colored polished subway tile that had some unevenness to it and used a chevron pattern. I get compliments all the time.

Tracey Simpson thanked lisalarsen22
  • lisalarsen22
    2 years ago

Here’s a pic..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Opps. Meant “vertical” plane. When Taj is on countertop, (laying horizontally) the light in the room hits it and does beautiful things for the stone.

Tracey Simpson thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Wow, your kitchen looks awesome! I think you can go either way. You don't seem to have so much backsplash that the Taj will overwhelm the space, but Flo has a good point about using it vertically. But you're already seeing it vertically and it doesn't look too brown or dark in the photo. I think using the same stone for countertop and backsplash is a beautiful and seamless look, but I also think you can do a simple tile in a complementary color and simple pattern. If budget is a concern, tile could be less expensive.

Tracey Simpson thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Hi lisalarsen22 - I love your kitchen choices! I’m thinking along those lines for my next home. Thanks for posting - that was an inspiration for me. Gorgeous!

• Tracey Simpson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I really appreciate everyone! You guys have given us some great ideas to think over. We really like the Taj as back splash, but i think if we go with it, we would break it up and do a subway or different backsplash behind the oven... and Taj in the other areas. That may also eliminate an extra seam in the stone. Do you think that would help? We also like the subway tile look. What are we going to do? LOL It took us a really long time to find Taj Mahal that didn't lean green or pinkish, so we are pretty excited about this slab.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

don't do a different splash behind oven. same splash throughout

Tracey Simpson thanked Melissa R
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Tracey - that’s a very beautiful slab. I know Taj varies a lot, so does that have a particular name or “type” associated with it? I’m referring to the lines, the “I don’t even know how to describe it chunkyness or texture”. (Ugh it’s too early and I haven’t had my coffee.). That one makes my heart sing. Your kitchen will be amazing!

• Jazz Lover
    2 years ago

We too had the same dilemma and honestly with the cost of building it was a $ decision but we ultimately found a tile we LOVED and were so happy with it.

Tracey Simpson thanked Jazz Lover
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

I would be concerned with the difference in color between the horizontal and the vertical. The way the light hits a Taj Mahal countertop really makes it the star of the show. In this case, making it the backsplash might be too much of a good thing. I’d keep it as the countertop and get help here for a fabulous complimentary tile for the backsplash.

Tracey Simpson thanked RedRyder
  • Tracey Simpson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much for the beautiful kitchen photos from everyone. They are gorgeous and are very helpful in this decision. Etta, we found the Taj slabs at Triton in Knoxville TN. We actually live in Kentucky, and made the drive on this search for the right stone. I believe the style # is 197909, this company is pretty large and they may be able to help you find something similar. We worked with Chelsea, she was a true professional. Hope this helps!

• stiley
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I love that look, and we're doing it in our remodel. To me, the Taj is not super high-contrast so I don't think it will look busy. I hadn't thought about how the light would hit it differently horizontally vs vertically though... That's a good point but I'm not sure that's a deal breaker. Here's a kitchen where they used it on both surfaces.

Something to consider is how will you handle your outlets on the backplash? I think in most kitchen with a solid backsplash, the outlets are on the underside of the upper cabinets or somewhere where they won't disrupt the stone. Our design/build firm is coming up with options for that problem for us.

Edited: now that I said that, I started noticing the outlets in all my Pins, and I don't think the white outlet cover is too distracting.

Tracey Simpson thanked stiley
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Thank you Tracey! Sadly I’m not near Tennessee but I appreciate the information. I will definitely only buy slabs once I see them. And I know I’m not a pro, but if you want an opinion on different splash over the stove - I personally don’t care for that. Ive always thought it looks too choppy. Your kitchen looks warm and inviting, yet sleek, and I think it would break it up too much. I can see how some here would still put the Taj on the splash. I think in your case it would work. But I never thought about how the light would reflect differently in the vertical. Thank you to all who pointed that out. Tracey - I can’t wait to see your kitchen all done!

• Boxerpal
    2 years ago

I love a slab backsplash and that Taj would look gorgeous on both counter and backsplash.

Here are a few more photos....

Taj Mahal Leathered Quartzite · More Info

Transitional Kitchen · More Info

2014 Home for the Holidays Designer Showhouse · More Info

Taj Mahal Quartzite Kitchen w/ Full Height Backsplash · More Info

Tracey Simpson thanked Boxerpal
  • Tracey Simpson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Boxerpal, those photos are beautiful!

• lisalarsen22
    2 years ago

So…was in a friends house yesterday and she had Taj on counter snd backsplash. Beautiful. Post a pic when you’re done!

• Tracey Simpson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I sure will. Thanks Lisa!

• Katerine Staly
    2 years ago

Studio Mcgee just did it in a kitchen and it looks

so good!

• sylviacarlevato
    2 years ago

Lisa Larsen… what color are your white cabinets?

• amy1199
    2 years ago

Hi Tracrey, do you have finished pictures of your kitchen? I'd love to see how the Taj looks.

• katieking123
    last year

lisalarsen22, your kitchen is beautiful!! I'm also curious what color are your cabinets? Also, do you have an island and what color is it? We are considering Taj Mahal countertops... so many decisions to make...

• Lori
    11 months ago

@Jazz Lover I like your backsplash tile with the Taj counters. Could you tell me the name of the tile? Thank you!

• Jazz Lover
    11 months ago

@Lori oh Lord it’s been so long I cannot remember! I wonder if it’s in some of my old posts from when we first built-so sorry! But I do love it. At first I was sad that I had not run the Taj Mahal all the way up the back, but budget constraints did not warrant that. But in the end, I was happy with how it all turned out.

• Lori
    11 months ago

@Jazz Lover thanks for responding! I'll keep looking.

• Jazz Lover
    11 months ago

So wish I could remember. They are the longer tile w a slight ripple pattern. Here’s a better image and the color is kind of an oyster color as well. Good luck!!

• Jazz Lover
    11 months ago

Lori, I found my old post and it did have a pic of the box of the tile. Cannot though remember where I got it. May have been Wayfair but again… can’t for the life of me remember! Ughh here’s the box w info. I was OVER the moon happy with it. You can see all the pics in my old tread from 2020 or 2021 tilted “not another backsplash question” Happy hunting!

• Lori
    11 months ago

@Jazz Lover Thank you so much for finding it! I'll take a look at your old post!

• Jazz Lover
    11 months ago

Lori I just saw some of your new kitchen pics and it’s looking amazing!! So happy for you. I love the building process and would do it every 5 years(if I didn’t have to move🤣) Good luck on all your finishes but from what I’ve seen you are definitely on the right track!