Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sefkirby

flooring for living room

sefkirby
2 years ago

Carpet needs to come out!
In order to modernize I am thinking something wood looking (laminate, vinyl or tile). I have a dog….
Should I keep tile along entrance that flows into family room/kitchen? Or cover with wood look up to that point?
Dark or light floor?
Wood furniture is dark…..
Help, I am confused….

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

So the furniture you have is a far cry from modern are you planning on replacing that? I think allo ne flooring makes a small space feel larger and if new furniture in in the budget much smaller scaled for sure. Maybe post a bit more info to get help.

• Little Bug
    2 years ago

I personally would never do wood-look anything. My current house, and my previous two houses, all have real hardwood. Once you’ve had the real thing . . .

If real hardwood is not in the budget, continue your existing tile and get nice light-colored area rugs for the living area and under the table.

• SJ McCarthy
    2 years ago

I would ask yourself how much of the tile you want to remove. Once you start removing it, it will be hard to pick a point where to stop. The diagonal tile install is going to be difficult to cut cleanly to create a straight line (that is perpendicular or parallel to the walls.

LVP (Luxury Vinyl Plank) is the 'go to' for dogs AND kitchens. That means if you decide to go whole hog and remove all the tile (in the continuous space) then you have the ability to install it in the kitchen. A single floor will allow you to expand the sitting area and the dining area without worrying about chair legs/feet straddling two different surfaces.

What ever you decide to do, you will want to budget for tile removal ($2/sf in my area = Canada; and expensive areas in the USA). And then budget $2-$5/sf for subfloor preparation to flatten/grind/fill the areas with old flooring on it.

I know it sounds high...but it is the 'hidden cost' that no one tells you about until you are QUOTED the number (and the work gets done properly) or when your floor FAILS because you were NOT quoted it and did NOT get the work done = do over.

Personally I would like to see more photos of where the tile runs...if you could provide those photos that would be super helpful for us.

• housegal200
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Replacing tile with tile makes no sense. There's so much you could do with that room instead. Get a high-quality patterned rug in your "given' floor color, yellow drapes, and blue from your art work. It should be at least as large as the one you have or even larger. (Photos are just suggestions for palette and finishes)

Replace the massive armchair with two blue smaller upholstered chairs up in legs with a wood finish like your wood furniture that will coordinate with a new patterned rug and your art work. You could add ivory drum shades for you floor lamps for a more modern line.

You have so many large dark spaces in the visual field: huge armchair, sofa, massive coffee table. Get a glass coffee table with wood trim or possible two nesting glass coffee tables that will let a new patterned rug show through.

Fusion Round Cocktail Table · More Info

These changes will cost less in time and money than replacing tile.

• sefkirby
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for your input!
    I am not trying to make the living room “modern”. I read “carpet is out and hard flooring is in”. I suppose “update” is a better word.

• ashtonchic
    2 years ago

I would take out rug and continue with tile to match existing. If you have the $$ and really want a change to LVP I would take out all the tile. Get a nice new area rug to update the LR.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    2 years ago

Keep the tile; update the rug.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

your room is pleasantly Mediterranean. I would take up the carpeting and live with tile for a while and see if you like it. I think this kind of coffee table might brighten and update the space (it’s acrylic)

Covel Acrylic Cocktail Table - Gold · More Info

You might consider a smaller rug just to define the conversational living room space,

Ddd

Loloi II Contemporary Grey Mist 7'-10" x 11'-0" Area Rugs NOV0NV-03GYMI7AB0 · More Info

and brighten up the sofa with more colorful pillows

White Multi Colored Blue Fringes Pillow Cover 20x20-inch Pillow Cover Only Soft · More Info

Off-White Wool Blend Lumbar Pillow With Blue and Brown Pattern · More Info

Maybe try the floor lamp in the corner where the windows meet and the table lamp where the floor lamp is….?

• Dennis Peterson
    2 years ago

We had the same issue in an oceanfront condo. We had wall-to-wall carpeting in the living area against porcelain tile in the long entry and hallway. We needed something durable and didn’t want the expense and dust of tearing out tile which was in good condition. We chose an LVP in a shade that blended with the light creamy tile and it looks great! Since the tile and LVP blend, it does not break up the flow of the space at all. So, I would take that approach; it’s economical, easy and clean installation, dog/people friendly. You can use a brighter/lighter patterned area rug with touches of color from your upholstered pieces to define the seating area. The money you save with this simple change could be used to acquire other accessory touches to further brighten the room.

• HU-917294227
    2 years ago

I don't think you're asking about replacing the flooring in both living areas and kitchen, just your living room. If that's the case, and if I'm visualizing your home's layout correctly, I would replace the flooring in the living room and entryway with a flooring (not tile) that will transition well with the tile at the entry to your family room. I'd keep the tile in the den and kitchen if your budget doesn't allow for replacement of all the flooring and it works well for your family's lifestyle.

• aniluap2
    2 years ago

If it is in the budget, I would replace the entire floor with high quality vinyl, ‘wood-look’ flooring. It is hard to distinguish that it is not actually real wood. It does not scratch, which is a worry with dogs and it impervious to spills which happens with kids and guests. I have real wood and it scratches. A light colored , wider plank would update and brighten the space. By making the floor continuous throughout the space it will make it seem larger rather ran chopping it up. Much of your furniture seems mid century modern. You might want to look up spaces on Houzz that have that style for ideas.
    One other suggestion that is a fairly easy fix, is to replace the fireplace mantel with a chunkier , floating wood shelf and remove the fabric window valances they look dated. Just having the blind is a more modern look and will not cost you anything.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Guessing from the mix of furniture styles that you're no youngster, so I'd advise a softer surface underfoot than tile. It is hard on your joints and disastrous if you take a fall!

• llemay
    2 years ago

Another vote for luxury vinyl plank. We recently installed LVP to replace carpet and I couldn't be happier with it. So hardy, looks great & very easy to care for. An unexpected bonus is how good a thermal break LVP provides. Ours is on a concrete slab and doesn't feel cold even in the winter (near Vancouver, BC). Also, it has enough give to be easy on the feet & back when standing for prolonged periods.

• HU-24671854
    2 years ago

If all 4 photos are of your house, you have diagonal tile everywhere. Keep the tile, I'd even finish out the tile by extending it into the living room carpeted area. You would end up with consistent flooring throughout, and probably the least expensive solution. If you can't continue the tile, I'd pull up the carpet, and put down sisal for a light, timeless, and more casual look in that space. It would blend with the tile color, and you could layer a light area rug on the sisal if desired. To continue to lighten and update the spaces, I would: Replace the drapery panels with soft ivory pieces. Remove the valances in other rooms. Add new lighter upholstered seating in the living room. Slipcover the existing dining chairs with a quilted fabric - a check or plaid could be fun . Spray paint the chandelier for an updated look, and add some additional lighter lamps. Add some silk or real tree vegetation. All these changes are very affordable, and could make a major visual change in your space, which could be carried into other spaces in your home.

• lenachristina
    2 years ago

It looks like there is tile under that carpeting. Are you the original owner and know for sure there is no tile under there?

• sefkirby
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for your input!
    I am not trying to make the living room “modern”. I read “carpet is out and hard flooring is in”. I suppose “update” is a better word.

We are the original owners and there is no tile under the carpet…

• ashtonchic
    2 years ago

How much time and $$ do you want to put into the update of flooring? The best way imo to update would be to have a consistent flooring throughout. LVP would be #1, Tiling the LR #2. Either way, you would then put down area rugs to brighten up the space and add softness.

• ravensmom13
    2 years ago

You have a dog...I have FOUR...LOL...so I share your concern in that respect....My long front hall leads into my 15 x 30 kitchen which leads into my long main hall of my ranch home...it is ALL TILED....the living room ( off the front hall ) and all the bedrooms are hardwood flooring...to ME...and this is just MY OPINION and taste, I HATE what in MY mind appears to be a "glaring difference" in flooring...LOL...to ME, "wood is wood and tile is tile, and never the two shall meet"...LOL....that said, have you considered replacing the existing carpet with BERBER carpet ??? Nothing with a "high loop" as dog's nails will catch on it and pull the fibers...but something with more of a "commercial height" pile....Berber carpeting is almost indestructible, wears super well, and would give that "carpeted area" a soft look...while still making it seem separate from all the tile...something in a cream color would "lighten up" that space greatly, and you could always use area run for under the dining table area to further "separate" that space if you wanted to...matching smaller area rug under coffee table would pull it all together......as a FURTHER option, consult a reputable, large carpet company, and check out their "commercial carpeting"...they've come a long way in making gorgeous commercial carpeting, and that IS indestructible !! LOL...Either Berber or commercial carpeting would be your cheapest and easiest options.....unless you have deep pockets and the patience of a saint, you do NOT...NOT wat to start ripping out tile, trust me !! LOL...your home is gorgeous and looks so welcoming and inviting...congratulations !!