Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caranch38

Backsplash or No Backsplash

caranch38
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

My remodel just got a budget check, so I have decided to ax the beadboard as a backsplash.

I am going with black marble counters and dark cabinets. Do I go with just painted walls? I was thinking maybe a washed or other technique...

Should I continue the marble up 4 in, 6 in? I am aiming for a dark, moody, european lived in, doesn't look like it came out of a box, kitchen.

Comments (7)

• WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

Backsplash needed

• Helen
    2 years ago

A backsplash can be easily installed in a year or so when your budget is ready. You can live with the design elements for awhile and also be able to possibly get a good price on tiles.

I would not install the 4" splash guard because if you do that, you can't install a backsplash since a backsplash over the splashguard just looks off.

On the other hand, you have the labor available since you are having your kitchen done completely so you would probably get a relatively good price for the labor since your GC has his crew there anyway. Back splashes aren't that expensive in the scheme of things so it might be worth it to stretch a bit and have it all done so it is complete.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Are you planning on having beadboard elsewhere? (Am I interpreting the drawing correctly?)

Beadboard is relatively cheap, especially paint grade (instead of stain grade). I would do something else to cut or postpone costs if it's an important part of the design.

But if it's not that big a deal, no, you don't need a backsplash. If you find you do later, you can add it later. If you put in a 4" backsplash and may go with a full one later, ask the installer to install it badly so it'll come off easier later. Or put a marble splash behind the range and behind the sink. Those are the only spots that need it.

caranch38 thanked Fori
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    2 years ago

I’m genuinely surprised at those saying you don’t need it. On a daily basis I’m thankful for having one as we cook, bake, and just live in our kitchen. The amount of splashes and what not that hit the area makes me very thankful and easily wiped surface is there

• Tom S
    2 years ago

I'm a fairly serious cook (cook daily and often multi-ingredient, complex dishes). I've had kitchens both with and without backsplashes. Can't ever recall a scenario where a lack of a backsplash caused a problem. You can just wipe down the walls. I'd paint the backsplash area with satin paint and it's eminently washable.

In my kitchen renovation we're putting a slightly raised backsplash of 2.5 inches (countertop material) and the rest is unpainted. We are going for the Plain English look and that's a common approach in many of their kitchens.

• caranch38
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks everyone. I am putting all the money in cooking appliances, flooring, and windows. All the good stuff. Tom & Thomas, this is exactly what I was thinking.. I like the extra texture a backsplash gives you, but really like the simple look of a painted wall with shelves. So None or 2.5 in, just incase I want to change up later. Thanks to all.