Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardschiefsillini

New double hung windows gap between screen and frame

Illini Fan
2 years ago

Just had new windows installed and noticed a gap on each side between the bottom of the screen and the window itself. Is this normal of new windows these days? I had replacement windows put in my last house 15 years ago and didn’t notice this. Doesn’t seem right to me but I don’t see any weeping channels in the outside

Comments (5)

• User
    2 years ago

Looks pretty normal to me.

I was so sad with the quality of "average" windows in new construction. It was not a feature I paid attention to when we built our house about 10 years ago now, because the windows I had in the house we were living in were really good windows. However I didn't know they were really good windows, because sometimes I am an idiot.

So we built a new house, and I trusted the builder to guide me on a number of selections. Considering I ended up referring to him as Satan by the end, you can probably guess how I feel about that. Ha.

Anyway, the new windows in my new house are awful. What I found out when I had the window manufacturer out to fix some leaks is that "no one" cares about screens anymore. Well, except apparently for me. And you. The screens in my windows fit so poorly they don't keep bugs out. I'm in NY and love to open windows to feel a cool breeze, but I can't do that after dark, because then my home becomes Bug Central.

So, um, yeah - welcome to windows in the modern era.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

That is usually from a small crown in the screen track of the sill nose. Check the window installation and you can usually just push down on the sill a bit at the edge and it will flatten down.

• PRO
    HomeSealed Exteriors, LLC
    2 years ago

+1. There is a natural crown in the sill on most sloped sill windows. Water drains to the sides and outward under the screen. Those gaps shouldn't be excessive or uneven from side to side, but its not abnormal or defective for their to be small gaps at the corners.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    2 years ago

I’ve never heard of this natural crown. Most companies by lineals that are long and straight then cut to size. Naturals crowns are not supoose to be there not would I consider them part of the design . IMO it would be characteristic design of a week sill and unwanted but not always a 100% avoidable. Sometimes this can happen when the sill of the existing frame is high in the middle and the window is installed directly on top and not shimmed on the outside corners. I put a staight edge on the sill of my lowest line of windows and my high end , both are straight., Any bowing is gonna come from install IMO. I agree msnufactures can be cheap and the screen is often overlooked . The screen frame itself is subseptible to bowing if screened to tight and I prefer one that has latches to hold it down tight and reqiures a separate motion to release. I have requested this feature to my manufacturer more than once to no avail. If manufactures are humping there sills in purpose they should incorpate a pile weatherstipping or katch that draws it down tight. I would try pushing down in the screen frame corner before anything else as it is the easiest and often works.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    2 years ago

I don't think HomeSealed was saying that is was engineered into the product, but it is not uncommon for there to be a bit of a crown to the outer edge (i.e. least reinforced section of the sill). Either way, a bit of heat and pressure flatten them right out most times.