Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jony_boy

Exposed Steel Beam - How to Finish

jony
2 years ago

I am trying to figure out how to finish this steel beam that got installed after removal of support wall.

Previously we were to make a box around it but after seeing the beam installed I could help myself but try to find ways to use it's natural exposed beam look to my advantage.

I spoke to my neighbour who worked constructions his whole life, guy is pushing 85 and I always learn something new when I speak to him. He suggested I should prime it and then use flecto paint for metal using airless paint sprayer.

But, I am unsure on how to prepare the beam's surface for priming however. Using an angle grinder with steel brush was my idea until someone mentioned sandblasting.

What do you guys recommend I should do to prepare the surface for finishing.

I also wonder if there any other option than using a paint to finish it, because I have feeling that using paint might just take away it's natural steel look. Maybe there is a material that will make the beam looking it's natural black shinny steel look and still protect it against any potential rusting etc just like a paint would.

Thanks a lot for you guys input on this.

Cheers!

Comments (11)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Cross posted here. Not sure why the need to repost but......................

• jony
    Original Author
    2 years ago

sorry, previous post was to address potential condensation issue, this one is in relation to "how to finish." I just didn't want the thread to get confusing as both topics are different? Does that make it cross posting?

• jony
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am not necessarily going for full industrial look but I do want to see how the beam can stay out to fit with the new renovation.

Furniture will be replaced and most likely flooring too with new modern looking floors, I do like to see wood grains however so I might put down either maple or rustic alder flooring. Right now flooring is oak and you are right it might not go with the modern look and feel, but maple and rustic alder should blend right in.

TV will be wall mounted on the fireplace. Might change the fireplace with osburn matrix wood insert if budget allows it.

Only thing I am inclind on saving is that dining table that you see next to the hutch as it is solid wood and those thing pillered leg look appealing but that too will be refinished to match the new color scheme.

Throwing out the hutch as well or refinish it the color to match kitchen cabinets. Woman of the house wants it gone so it is most likely not staying. Will see if I can talk her into refinishing the hutch to match new kitchen cabinets, but that is going to be a task, Oh well... I believe refinishing might just not be worth it however.

Love the idea of changing the sconces to up/down enclosed wall washers didn't even think about it. Thank you so much for that.

I am not keen on carpets, but do you still recommend the carpet if the floor on the whole floor is same. Planning on putting down same wooden floor everywhere, including kitchen, dinning area and living room.

Pretty much redoing the whole main floor.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

How are you addressing the wooden beam that just seems to end a foot or two before it reaches the steel beam?

• jony
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's not a beam. There was a seperating wall there that got removed, so those are just 2x4 hanging in the ceiling as a 2 feet section of that wall is still standing (not in the picture). Once that 2 feet wall section goes those 2x4 will come down and the celing will be finished flat there.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    2 years ago

millworkman, thanks for the head's up on the double post. : < {

• sushipup1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We used a lot of steel beam in the house we remodeled in 2002. and sold in 2016. Our painter used automobile lacquer. It had a slightly rusted look up close, but I completely loved it. The cross ties are just decorative and not structural. The surface was not "finished" beforehand. Beware, the fumes are quite toxic and the painter wore a gas mask and we stayed away for a few hours after the process. IMO, it should not look perfect.

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

PS, horizontal piece on the windows is painted a red (rust colored red).

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

PPS, get rid of the green on that wall.

• jony
    Original Author
    2 years ago

haha I will. It is an old house that I bought, trying to address everything one by one.