Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djacobz568sewi

Let’s take a look at my new and one year old plants

djacob Z6a SE WI
2 years ago

It’s been so blisteringly hot, there is almost not much to get done. I thought I would share the progress of my 2020 and 2021 acquisitions

Frosted Mouse Ears, 2020:

It grew another eye:

and there’s a second flush of leaves:

Comments (23)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tattoo, just received, is showing some burn which I would expect while acclimating to my climate here, but it also shows new leaf growth:

Orange Marmalade 2021, looking very good after some adjustment burn:

Brother Stephen 2021, looking a bit rough with some early burn. I shaded it for a while amd then removed the shade. It is showing second flush of leaves:

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

More tomorrow! Bedtime 💤💤💤

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Zuzu’s Petals arrived this year with pretty floppy petioles, but it has shown growth with the second flush:

Astral Bliss, new this year doing well:

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Neptune was new last year, sending up a flower:

Yankee Blue also new last year:

Flower Head

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh My Heart is a small Hosta that gets an amazing flower head. Check it out in the HL, mine has a long way to go:

Wave Runner didn’t arrive in great shape, couple of leaves bent. I staked it and used a velcro type tape, ( I know,, I know, I should have used blue tape like ken says,but I didn’t have any)) so now it looks like this:

I know it will come back next year, I hope. I don’t know if the cats came running through the garden and knocked it down, or if it was really windy days or both. Just disappointing to see it like this. I don’t know if the leaves are doing any good in terms of root building….

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Couple more: can’t ignor Giantland Blue Banana. Last year it was new with 3 leaves, now it has 9:

Touch of class, 2020 looks great:

Designer Genes, first plant arrived with no viable leaves. I sought a replacement and received one in ok shape. Here’s where they are at:

1st one:

replacement

with flower

photo bomb by Royal Wedding

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Then I can’t forget Giantland Blue Banana.New in 2020 with 3 leaves, now it has 9 and it flowered this year:

Prairie Moon

looking a bit holey, but it was treated for slugs when planted:

Thanks for looking!

debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

It looks like they all have done well for just being added. Which ones are in the sun??? I think I remember you asking about good sun plants??? I hope your Designer Genes does well for you……it left my garden this season : (

Sherry

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked sherrygirl zone5 N il
  • MadPlanter1 zone 5
    2 years ago

Love Astral Bliss, beautiful color. Also Giantland Blue Banana, which is new to me.

Sting did really well until one of the wild turkeys used it for an afternoon nap. It's putting out new leaves, but will be a lot smaller.

Too hot here for even photography, and even hotter tomorrow.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked MadPlanter1 zone 5
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just realized I posted GLBB twice……houzz was giving me trouble! But it is a great hosta and becoming a fav of mine. So enjoy again!

Madplanter—-Luckily, I have no turkeys to worry about, although I did see 4 of them just outside a wooded area with lots of houses and cars……they were on the yards, in the road and on the way back home, they were a bit further but climbing up on the fences and hills! what a hoot! The cars were slow because we were all looking at the turkeys! (city people)

sherry, one of the Designer Genes is in the back yard, all shade……the other is in the front yard where it gets late afternoon sun. Time will tell…..they both got a second flush of leaves, just a couple.

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Thank you for the updates. You have some gorgeous plants!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Utog, do you think I should pot Tattoo or do you think it’s looking ok?

debra

• Randy Man
    2 years ago

How many variants of hostas do you have? Do you have the liberty hosta?

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked Randy Man
  • undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

I don’t know what is best for Tattoo. It seems to be doing better than mine did initially. It is a Little Aurora sport.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked undertheoaksgardener7b
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Randy I do have Liberty and Sagae and in fact they are one year old as well.

Liberty

Sagae

both a year old

I am not sure how many exactly maybe 65??? But I dug three old ones out to make room for other desired hostas that are supposed to arrive amy minute. Are you new to the hosta forum? Your name is new to me.

debra

• Randy Man
    2 years ago

Hi Debra, yes new to hosta but been on houzz here for a while. I like how when you post you can put it into other forums like pereinals and gardening. I would have never seen you thread if it wasnt for that.. I am kind a new to hosta.but wanting to get more, I only have one or 2 varietys. I really like the liberty alot and see me getting one soon.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Bummer about your Wave Runner. Hopefully it bounces back. I keep moving mine around looking for the optimal lighting since it can get so many colors in the leaves in the right light. Interesting to see what is giving second flushes

Nice to see you here Randy. Do you know the names of what you have? Liberty (and June) are a great place to start a budding Hosta Collection.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
  • gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

Gorgeous hostas, djacobz568sewi.

I'm loving little Frosted Mouse Ears, as I'm on a yellow kick right now. But also love the crinkly leaves of Neptune. Thanks for sharing your pics.

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked gardenchick2010
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So Randy, welcome to the hosta forum! I am so glad you found my post and therefore found the hosta forum. I warn you though, we are very good at enabling people. You will find yourself wanting more and more……….and we are happy to help! :-)

debra

• Randy Man
    2 years ago

@ Steve. I dont know what hostas I have but Ill try and get some pics soon

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    2 years ago

I love this kind of project of comparing one year to the next with photos. Great job!

djacob Z6a SE WI thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Randy, if you want IDs for your hostas, when you take pictures always include a scale, like a pencil so we understand the size. Also get an overall shot and the a leaf shot. You can also measure and report sizes. One more point. One or two ID per post.

debra

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations