Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
designfanatic1

Living Room - Help Pls!!

Design Fanatic
2 years ago

Hi all,
Desperately need help with the Living Room Furniture in my small newly built house - As per the first two pics, the room is open concept, and pretty small. It will be used as the main Living space where the kids’ will watch TV as well as guests entertained.
I want it to be a bit semi formal but not formal enough as it will be the main living area.

Pls note that our budget only allows us to shop from big box stores that offer some sort of a interest-free payment plan so kindly don’t suggest any expensive furniture.

This couch is our choice and within out budget, so if someone could assist with its placement, that would be fantastic.

The chest of drawers shown is my personal choice and I would like to fit two in the spaces beside the fireplace but husband isn’t a fan of it.
Any tips or ideas abt the furniture placement would be greatly appreciated.
Below are some measurements for your reference:
Sofa length on 3 seater

Comments (11)

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Draw a layout of the room with the measurements in feet and inches. Show doors, windows and fireplace. This will help you and others to figure out the best layout.

In general, sectionals are not flexible.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

The furniture you posted is quite pricey. So I think you can do better. A sofa and a pair of small scale chairs will work better particularly in smaller spaces. As houssaon stated, we need room dimensions along with widths of windows and openings. Noting what adjoins this space will help too.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Upload your house plan. It's a brand new house. The big one....photo and upload.

" And...........................

Pls " note that our budget only allows us to shop from big box stores that offer some sort of a interest-free payment plan so kindly don’t suggest any expensive furniture."

I'm not your mom. But. You just built. That sofa at B.S. "sale" of 2499.00 looks hard as a ruck, and is very much guaranteed to be a mess in a year. The last thing you need now is a mirrored chest, What were you sitting on while the house was being built? Unless it was a folding lawn chair? I would pass on this. Both.

They can offer you zero interest and the first ten minutes that payment is late? That will boomerang to date of purchase retro active, at an absurd interest rate. Don't do it. If you can't reasonably pay for this or anything else on a low interest credit card over a few months? Pass. Drag out those lawn chairs, and.............save.............and DELAY.

It's not that it's "pricey".....it's OVER priced / not great. Haste will make waste ( and sorrow ) every time.

• teamaltese
    2 years ago

And for side tables, a tv stand, and storage, try your local vintage and Goodwill/Salvation Army/Habitat ReStore. Vintage pieces can add character to the room. And usually only need a good cleaning.

• Valinta
    2 years ago

I agree with all above advice. Also, are there relatives or friends who wish to off load furnishings while you save? Slipcovers can totally remake upholstered furniture and paint and elbow grease can transform chests, and tables. A main living space will be truly lived in with pizza and popcorn movie nights, sleepovers, etc.

• Zap Rey
    2 years ago

I agree with everything everyone stated. We need photos/dimensions of entire space plus info on adjacent rooms. And delay, delay, delay on new furniture if money is tight. Live in the space a bit, mock up with furniture you own, could be boxes, anything, to get an idea on how you live, pay attention to what your family does naturally in the space, be sure to leave space for walkways that make sense. Then, be on the lookout for deals. Your tastes will evolve some and you will be so happy when you do get furniture that you didn’t rush it. Congratulations on your home, looks amazing from what I can see!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

All of the above and no sectional and definately not in a light fabric.

• motupeg
    2 years ago

Desighfanatic1, the Houzzer’s will help you put together a design, with furniture, rugs, lamps. They don’t ask you to spend money you don’t have. Tell us your style. Are you contemporary, glam?

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Start with the measured drawing including all windows (height from floor, width), doors, walkways, other room features. How many people do you anticipate in the room at once? What is your style? What is your budget? Do you want to keep anything you already own? Pictures of those items.

• ashtonchic
    2 years ago

How many people will be using the room and the sectional? What stores are you looking in? Have you started any idea books so we can see what styles and colors you gravitate toward?

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

I see why your husband is not a fan of the chest of drawers, as it really is glam. I'd choose something else, however, please post dimensions.