Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_selkirk

Knotty pine has my stomach in knots

Ashley Selkirk
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Just bought an 1880 house woth a 1940s extension kitchen that is all cheap and not thick knotty pine. We can afford a conplete kitchen reno and there are parts i find charming. The lower cabinets are in very bad shape with much of the wood splitting on the drawers. Is there a way to add new lowers without having to have them match? Like add a completely different style/color?

Comments (8)

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Do you like the pine paneling and the pine upper cabinets? What is the flooring?

• Ashley Selkirk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

very old wood which we want to keep. i think we want to eother paint the paneling or do a backsplash. more pics for a more complete view

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Here is an example of a painted upper with knotty pine lower. You could do the reverse.

2015 photos, Wine Country Farmhouse, Wood-Mode · More Info

• darbuka
    2 years ago

Wow! That Formica counter brings me back to the first house we bought, back in 1980. Oh, that metal trim! The only difference is, ours was blue.

Do you intend to replace the counters, perhaps with the more modern Formica that’s available now?

Currently, different color uppers and lowers are on trend. But, given the type of wood you have, I don’t know if that’s possible, without looking really ”off”. Perhaps one of the pros will see this, and offer some advice.

• Ashley Selkirk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes we intend to replace but bot sure with what something in the cheaper side we are broke after buying this house

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

i think i would unpack the kitchen essentials only initially. you will be committing to the layout and everything else about the space if you do this. Using the kitchen for a couple months will tell you more. If you aren't certain about the cost and the ensuing "permanence" this creates then just use the kitchen for a couple years. It does look functional despite worn parts of the cabs... If you play around with this on graph paper and look at Ikea sizes for example and especially can think of the best way to use those corners then you'll be poised to go ahead in a bit of time when you brainstorm this out. this will cost more than you think so be careful and do have a look at Ikea sizes...they are a bit limited but if workable it will be economical. "Charming" parts isnt great reason if you miscalculate and discover you should have waited to evaluate more about this..... or discover quickly you ought have gone ahead and done the full reno instead of "part"

• Sherry Brighton
    2 years ago

We couldn't afford huge renovations when we bought either. It took me 10 years of saving but, I am finally getting my kitchen. On August 16th my complete to the studs reno finally begins.

Having America's most horrible kitchen never stopped making my home the gathering spot to be fed and watered. I love to cook and feed everyone. I host Thanksgiving every year, throw a huge pig roast every summer and feed whatever kid is visiting their favorite meals.

I guess what I am trying to say is you may not love your kitchen, but it doesn't stop it from being the heart of your home. Do the best you can within your limited budget, think about what you really want, save towards your goal and don't be surprised if it takes a while to get it done.

• heatheron40
    2 years ago

I've been in your shoes. I moved in with the same 30/40's reno! I waited. What I did do is glue and clamp broken parts to buy more time. I also painted the pine, it wasn't perfect, knots were still there; but, I tried out a few colors, red, white and a sage color. Hands down, I stuck with white. After we lived for awhile, years, I knew I needed more space. So I saved and bumped out 5 feet and added a turret. Originally the house only had a "kitchen " out back. If we had jumped in, I would have made sooooo many mistakes that would have simply been a waste of money.

I agree with Sherry Brighton, we lived well in that galley kitchen :^)