Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_720679265

Carefree Wonder Rose -Magnificent- Share Photos-Praises

KittyNYz6
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, I recently researched the magnificent, ”Carefree Wonder Rose.” I have been seeking out light pink roses that bloom well in my NY climate. I have seen exquisite photos of Carefree Wonders tightly sprayed pink blooms in hedges! It is very disease resistant to BS , mildew, rust and is winter hardy zone 4- excellent! It blooms the most beautiful pink cupped roses and is lighly fragrant! It is the most prolific bloomer-a floribunda. I have read about! It is about 4ft tall and has bright green leaves. It was bred by A. Meilland in 1990 and an AARS award winner.

I am purchasing Carefree Wonder Rose from Heirloom Roses today. I would love to see your photos and hear of your experiences and praises of Carefree Wonder?

I have a few other light pink roses on my list to purchase that may do well in NY climate: Morden Blush, Our Lady of Guadalupe, James Galway and St Cecilia which come highly recommended if you care to comment on these, too? If you have seen my roses on ”Summer’s Start,” rose forum thread, I have many pink roses and I am always looking for another hardy one-if you’d like to mention your favorites?

Carefree Wonder Rose

Heirloom Roses’ Photos

Comments (10)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Those are impressive photos, Kitty, especially the last one. I checked Carefree Wonder on HMF and saw some nice pics. I didn't realize CW was a Meilland rose. If you want a hedge of roses, or just a good all around rose, I'd suggest Bonica and Royal Bonica, both Meilland roses also. Don't you grow Bonica? Check out the Bonica hedge on HMF--wow. I've grown both Bonica and Royal Bonica, a sport of Bonica. In fact I grew a hedge of RB at my previous home and loved it. Currently, I grow just one huge RB. I liked the RB grafted on Dr Huey better than my current rose grafted on multiflora. Royal Bonica is available from Hortico and probably a few other sellers. It's not nearly as well known as Bonica. The blooms are larger than Bonica's and a medium pink. These roses are very cold and disease resistant. Diane

KittyNYz6 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Royal Bonica is above. I don't know why there is such a color difference in the photos (time of day, season?), because Royal Bonica has a very consistent color like the top photo. Diane

KittyNYz6 thanked Diane Brakefield
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Diane, Thank you. Your Bonica & Royal Bonica are stunning! I have Bonica in front of my home and love her-a prolific bloomer, too! So beautiful petite roses. Your Royal Bonica blooms are so large & gorgeous!Bonica is an amazing rose!

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

I grew Carefree Wonder for many years, and liked it a whole lot. Got it originally from Arena as a bare root in Jan 2005. Alas, I eventually lost it, and due to trying to trim the herd, never replaced it. At that point, I'd topped out at 375 roses and needed to cut back a lot, due to working 60 hours a week. But I'd definitely recommend it!

KittyNYz6 thanked susan9santabarbara
  • KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Susan,

Thank you for your praise of Carefree Wonder. Wpw! You had 375 roses. How did you ever care for them? I have a 100 rioses on an 11,000 sq ft property which seems enough work. Did you have acres? And help?

What were your favorites? Hiw many do you have now? I love Santa Barbsra. I used to live in Arcadia & near Porter Ranch in LA. Growing roses in CA is lovely! Growing roses in NY was more chalkenging, but I think I have found roses that grow well here and mine do well now.

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

Kitty, no my house is a typical 4 bed/2 bath ranch house on a maybe 7000-8000 square foot lot. I really pushed the limit when I hit 375 roses in the mid-2000s, so I knew I needed to downsize, given my work schedule. It was just me caring for them., although DH retired in 2016, and he occasionally helps. I gave away a lot of rare roses that I now wish I hadn't, but there you go. I think I bottomed out at ~200 roses ~2015, but have gradually bumped it back up. I'm afraid that I'm edging up closer to 250, having bought 22 bare roots this winter. I knew I bought too many (14) from my local nursery and Regan, but then I got a shot in my bone-on-bone knee, and went nuts and ordered 8 more from Edmunds. LOL, I spent the first 31 years of my life in Pasadena, so I'm well familiar with Arcadia and the rest of the L.A. area!

Edit: to give my DH due credit, he dug almost every single rose hole in our yard from 1999-2002, before he went on the night shift!

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Susan, Id love to see photos of your roses past/present? I ’d love to know what roses you have? I post my roses this summer on ”Summer’s Start,”thread on Houzz rose forum . I’d love to see you join us on this forum thread & post your summer roses? Or you could start your own ”Susan’s Rose Garden,” thread and post some of your rose photos-give us a tour? You must have marvelous rose photos? I will start a thread-my own tour- with my 110 roses at some point—for now I just post my weekly blooms on the “Summer’s Start,” thread. It’s teally a great thread…to see what’s happening in each of our gsrdens daily/weekly this summer.

Im going on the ’”Summer’s Start,” thread mow… I potted a few more plants and busy working on my gardens this week….Bye, Bye….😊🥀🌺😊

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

Kitty, thanks for your kind words. I have a lot of pics from over the years, but I'm not as much into taking and posting pics as many of the others are here. Mainly due to time constraints. Kind of the same problem I have with following the threads here that get hundreds of posts... it just gets so overwhelming! I was a very active member of GardenWeb Rose forums from 1999-2010, but moved to reading forums related to my work. I did like the old GW thing where a thread was done at 100 posts. This is the last thing I read every night, and I always run out of time to read everything :-D

• KittyNYz6
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Susan, I hope you gind a thread that works for you again. Thank you.