Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
odiebenny

Exterior help please, ugly 70's rock. offset with stucco or ?

Tammy Leamons
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Would like to modernize our 90's home, which has old 70's rock look. Brown roof, so are thinking green with white trim, but open to suggestions. One painter recommended removing rock and replacing with offset stucco color but can't find any photo examples of this. Open to suggestions on style/color and stucco + siding vs. siding only. Thought about limewashing the stone from the house face & chimney, but we think removing the stone will be better overall.

Comments (13)

• elcieg
    2 years ago

I would replace the bay window with individual windows (it is what I did with my house,) remove all the odd trim around window) and do everything with white board and batten. It will make the house look so great. I love this photo.

Tammy Leamons thanked elcieg
  • Tammy Leamons
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thank you for your comment. My window juts out though from the building, it is not flat, including inside, so I don't think I can get rid of the bay window layout easily.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Absolutely...I had 4 bay windows removed. Each bay got me three windows. Let me see if I can show you a before and after photo. (not great at this...).

Tammy Leamons thanked elcieg
  • misecretary
    2 years ago

Unless your painter is a general contractor, I, myself would speak to one first. He/she may have some very good options for you. I agree the stone removal may be what you're looking for, but definitely speak to someone who has removed first. As for the rest of the house, does any part of your house currently have stucco? If not, is there particular reason why you'd like to add it? Do you know the pros/cons of having stucco?

I feel it would be an improvement to have the window trim around the window only. No reason to have the side pieces go to bottom of siding. That will really update the place. Good Luck.

Tammy Leamons thanked misecretary
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I usually like to keep stone or brick but iin this case not so much. I agree remove the stone , remove the bay and do white siding it will look like a completely different house . That extra trim needs to go too. Waht style do you like ? This house could go in many directions so some input from you will get you more help.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Unfortunately, the overall photo of your house didn't enlarge. So, kinda hard to tell exactly what all is going on. Will agree with you - the stone is not the most attractive. So, would suggest removing. If you don't do that then painting or limewashing to match the color of the body of the house should help make a more cohesive composition. Would suggest removing the existing trim from windows and replacing with a more conventional trim. The way the trim currently outlines the windows and garage doors detracts from the house. Revamping your existing landscape should also update the street view. Good luck!

Tammy Leamons thanked Norwood Architects
  • houssaon
    2 years ago

I would start by painting the entire house white. It is the quickest way to update the look of your house.

Tammy Leamons thanked houssaon
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Eliminate all contrasting trim.

I don't think the bay window fits the home.

Tammy Leamons thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Tammy Leamons
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Great Suggestions. thank you. Will definitely reduce trim to just around windows. Good suggestion. To change/remove the bay window would definitely require a contractor - would change the roof line. Will investigate this. I am definitely favoring removing the stone. The first painter recommended replacing the rock with stucco, instead of more matching siding, to give a bit of texture contrast. Painting everything white is on the list of possible colors. My husband favors steel/charcoal blue but with the brown roof, may not work. My major dilemma is trying to picture the changes. I have tried the free online tools to draw the proposed changes but the ones I tried are clunky. Here is a street view of the entire house.

• misecretary
    2 years ago

Tammy Leamons thanked misecretary
  • Tammy Leamons
    Original Author
    2 years ago

how did you do that drawing? it's so cool.

• PRO
    KHERBOUCHE DESIGNS
    2 years ago

Imo. You need to remove the bottom trims under windows on the right sides. You paint surrounds and add shutters, you can change as well garage doors and main door to a modern or contemporary style ones , and paint the main door with a popping color.

We can help you making the right decisions and visualizing realistically your home like we have done with this project.

Pm or email to know how it works

Vickie's N home project · More Info

Tammy Leamons thanked KHERBOUCHE DESIGNS
Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022