Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stupidlazydog

Had fun at Logee's yesterday. Went for 2 plants and came back with 6

Comments (17)

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

SLD - nice haul! I wished I lived closer to Logees, but on the other hand, if I did, I certainly know where all my money would be going. Well, I don't smoke, I don't gamble, I don't drink now, gee, what better place to spend my money!

Is that an odorada in the picture? What is the other hoya? A type of publicalyx?

If you're like me, I place all my plants outside for the summer. They grow like the weeds they are. I have dracinias that are now over seven feet tall. A monstera which is a true monster! Everything grows and multiplies. My golden pothos has grown so large that the leaves lok like monstera and have developed fenestrations! Come fall, I scramble to find room for them in the house. Do you have the same problem? Finding room for everything? The little ones aren't so difficult, the larger ones, the ones in 18" or greater pots are. How do you manage that problem?

Those new acquisitions certainly do look healthy. All the best with them.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Bill M.
  • Tika Land
    2 years ago

Very nice! What did you get??

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Tika Land
  • Bill M.
    2 years ago

SLD - remember the formula - that looks like maybe two plants, so you can still purchase three more without guilt!

• stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bill, I'm not too sure that my wallet agrees with your formula, lol! The plant that you thought was odorata is actually a black pagoda Aeschynanthus. I do have most of my plants outside. There are still some in my Wardian case, and some in the green house (mainly cactus and asclepiad seedlings).

Tika, I got the Aeschynanthus, Hoya davidcummingii, Begonia brevirimosa 'Edinburgh', Begonia 'Autumn Ember', Philodendron micans, and Philodendron melanochrysum.

The two I went there for are the melanochrysum and the davidcummingii. The others fell into the "ooh, that's pretty" category as I walked slowly (well, very slowly) by.

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

I couldn't see the veination in the leaves. I have a lipstick plant that I've had for two years now. It was a small cutting and just sat there for over a year. Now it's finally put out some shoots, but no flowers. I've read up on them but mine doesn't seem to cooperate. What have you found in the way of care to get them to grow well and hopefully flower? All suggestions are gratefully accepted.... ;-)

• Tika Land
    2 years ago

@stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a ohhh that’s fantastic! I was recently looking at their begonias online. Haha...I like the way you shop!!

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Tika Land
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago

Gosh that melano is gorgeous! I wish I lived near Logee's!

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Bill, the veination on the Aeschynanthus isn't that obvious. The growth is all really new, so I'm hoping the pattern will become more prominent as it matures. It's been years since I grew an Aeschynanthus, so I don't have any tips, sorry :-(

Tika, I've been known to spend 2 hrs looking through Logee's greenhouses (much to my husband's chagrin).

Popmama, I love the melano! That one they didn't have out in the greenhouses that are open to the public, but I knew they had them in stock on line, so I asked for one. They brought out 3 for me to choose from. They all looked pretty much alike so it was a meeny miny mo moment :-)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

Those Begonias are magnificent!!

Your ratio of only 50% over is much more respectable than mine. I go in for zero plants "just to see what they have" and end up with - way more than that. So I'm always @ 100% buying the 1st plant. Doesn't matter what store, I don't live near Logees.

stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a thanked Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    2 years ago

lol, i've been going to Logee's every now and then since the late 1970's. I think in all that time I've only come away once empty handed.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Hung Begonia 'Autumn Ember' in the window today...

• Tika Land
    2 years ago

@stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a Looks gorgeous!!!

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

SLD, is the begonia in one of your 3D printer pots? Those colors work beautifully.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Tika. I love the colors of the leaves, especially with light shining through them.

Stewart, yes it is. It's printed in a copper colored PETG.

• Bill M.
    2 years ago

SLD, I used to run a sideline business as a professional photographer. I can tell you, if you keep the top of the picture where it is, and capture the bottom of the window frame, then crop it rectangular so it highlights the green frame with the strings and pot entering from the top, it would make a fantastic photograph.

I've won gold medals at both the national and international level, and can honestly say that is a great shot!

You have some talent lady.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Bill :-)

Fergus, what they have in stock in their greenhouses is pretty much the same as on line.

Sponsored