Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rhododendron1

using a 9 x 13" pyrex instead of

Rho Dodendron
2 years ago

a tube pan???

It's Apple Cake season and I bake a great one. I also have a brand new 9 x 13" pyrex pan. Do you think I ca

n bake the following recipe in the pyrex or should I use the tube pan and find something else to bake in the pyrex?

Comments (7)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I don't see why not - I would check for doneness after 35-40 minutes.

Rho Dodendron thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • plllog
    2 years ago

Joy of Baking has an excellent article on pan swapping, including a volume conversion chart and advice for how to adjust to compensate for the different depths. There also may be issues with using glass. If you just want to bake something in your new dish, there are plenty of recipes meant specifically for it, from brownies to lemon bars. If you really want to convert your cake, read the article: https://www.joyofbaking.com/PanSizes.html

Rho Dodendron thanked plllog
  • chloebud
    2 years ago

It should work fine but check the link from plllog.. As Carol posted, start checking early since you have more surface area exposed with a 9x13 pan. A 10" tube pan is larger by volume, so make sure you don't fill the 9x13 pan more than about 2/3 full. Just depends on the recipe and amount of batter.

Rho Dodendron thanked chloebud
  • Sooz
    2 years ago

Come back later and post a picture and let us know how this worked out...sounds yummy!

Rho Dodendron thanked Sooz
  • lindac92
    2 years ago

It will fill your pan very full..

Here's my recipe for apple cake.....very similar....but less flour, less sugar, more apples and raisins. But you canomit the raisins.

4 cups chopped apples

1 ½ cups sugar

½ cup raisins ( I use chopped other fruit like dried peaches or apricots, cut into raisin sized pieces if using raisins, should be sultanas)

Mix and let sit for about an hour ( less is OK) The sugar will draw the juice out of the apples, providing liquid for the cake and also keeping the apples in the cake firmer.

2 cups flour

1 ½ tsps baking soda ( I like ¾ tsps soda and ¾ tsps BP)

¾ tsps salt

1T cinnamon ¼ tsp nutmeg

Mix dry ingredients

2 eggs

¾ cups veggie oil

1 tsp vanilla

beat together

1 cup chopped pecans if desired.

Add the oil and eggs to the apples and sugar and dried fruit. Stir in the dry mixture and add nuts if desires.

Pour into greased 9 by 13 pan and bake 350 until done…..40 to 50 minutes.

Serve with cake gravy! but I prefer Ann’s caramel sauce

Cake Gravy

Mix 1 cup sugar

1 stick butter

½ cup evap milk

1 tsp vanilla….

Mix all and cook all in a sauce pan for about 3 minutes.

Serve warm over the cake.

Rho Dodendron thanked lindac92
  • Rho Dodendron
    Original Author
    2 years ago

lindac92

The recipe I posted weighs a lot. It is moist because I use more apples than called for.

Have you ever tried yours without the gravy? How was it?

The two are VERY similar but yours doesn't call for lemon peel or apple sauce that I do not stock in the pantry 8~)

• lindac92
    2 years ago

Of course.....but with the gravy it makes a company dessert....otherwise it's just a nice moist cake for snacking or a family dessert or for breakfast!

The extra apples in mine accounts for the apple sauce......and I think the lemon would be a lovely addition....as would grated orange rind.

My point in posting my recipe was that it bakes in a 9 by 13 dish....so yours would be just fine because the volumn is very similar.